Inexpensive led yellow running lights

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I like these, how tough are they to install?
Really easy to install. Hardest part is running the wires and putting in a switch (or two) and relay (or two). (those items are not included with the lights.)
Difficulty lies with how handy you are at doing that and how you want them wired up.

As they have 2 colors you could do 2 switches (1 per color) OR you could do a 2 position switch to select between one color or another.

Amazon also sells a wiring system for these but I've not used it. https://www.amazon.ca/Wiring-harness-Waterproof-Harness-Fuse-2lead/dp/B07T8HX8ZZ/ref=pd_bxgy_img_sccl_1/144-6240086-0482211?pd_rd_w=HilzL&content-id=amzn1.sym.93ae3f3f-3555-4971-a952-df8053b1d375&pf_rd_p=93ae3f3f-3555-4971-a952-df8053b1d375&pf_rd_r=Q4K1XDNR2Z2PRESP6561&pd_rd_wg=g2LPs&pd_rd_r=e244f770-57eb-4b3a-a11d-54d57e82b809&pd_rd_i=B07T8HX8ZZ&psc=1
It seems to include switches, wiring and 2 relays. Likely your best bet unless you have these items at home already.

Installing the lights is as easy as removing the OEM reflectors, bolting the light brackets in, attaching the reflector to the other side of the bracket.
Zip tie the wires gently to the brake lines up under the fairing.

IMG_4014.JPGIMG_4015.JPGIMG_4016.JPG

@Willsmotorcycle installed his lights on the fender bolts. I did mine on the reflector brackets. Those ultimately go to the fender bolts and forks ;)

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
This is the wiring harness I used for my Zmoons.
Wire gauge is more than ample for these tiny lights.
The switch included didn't appear waterproof.
I used hi/low beam circuit for switching.5BDEA7C6-4171-4EAC-A27F-ACCEB610B34C.jpeg59613AF2-02F0-4EE6-981B-8451D5398DA2.jpeg
I bench tested before installing.
These Zmoons will get you noticed!

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Mine are also tied into the low and high beams, as well as tied to my horn circuit.

Low is yellow, white is high, yellows switch to white with the horn.

I have an override switch on the right side Tupperware if I need to turn them off.

I've since also added under mirror lights.

IMG_4181.JPGIMG_4182.JPGIMG_4179.JPG

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Mine are also tied into the low and high beams, as well as tied to my horn circuit.

Low is yellow, white is high, yellows switch to white with the horn.

I have an override switch on the right side Tupperware if I need to turn them off.

I've since also added under mirror lights.

IMG_4181.JPGIMG_4182.JPGIMG_4179.JPG
Your looking sharp. I relocated them with a stand-off.
IMG_4261.jpeg

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I have the same lights mounted to the crash bars on my Versys.... note, must be oriented correctly, wire should exit the bottom so the amber is a low beam and the white a high beam. At minimum if wire exiting the top, I'd silicone it.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I have the same lights mounted to the crash bars on my Versys.... note, must be oriented correctly, wire should exit the bottom so the amber is a low beam and the white a high beam. At minimum if wire exiting the top, I'd silicone it.
I oriented mine opposite to yours with the wire from the top.

I wanted the yellow to show further for conspicuity with my low beam and the white to fill the closer in area when my high beams were on.

If you want the white to show further put the wire side down. Inversely, if you want the yellow to shine further, put the wire up.

Regardless, you want the || area in the center of the lens to be vertical. Don't put the wire out to the sides.

As for silicone I did silicone the wire, but when I opened up the lights I found it really makes no difference. The fan in the back draws air in around small openings in the fins to exhaust any heat. The inside is just a hollow tube with a circuit board, some silicone and the LED's. Water can easily get in from a variety of locations. The only sealing gasket is on the lens. I imagine it's there to prevent water being forced in the front of the light when driving.

Really easy to install. Hardest part is running the wires and putting in a switch (or two) and relay (or two). (those items are not included with the lights.)
Difficulty lies with how handy you are at doing that and how you want them wired up.

As they have 2 colors you could do 2 switches (1 per color) OR you could do a 2 position switch to select between one color or another.

Amazon also sells a wiring system for these but I've not used it. https://www.amazon.ca/Wiring-harness-Waterproof-Harness-Fuse-2lead/dp/B07T8HX8ZZ/ref=pd_bxgy_img_sccl_1/144-6240086-0482211?pd_rd_w=HilzL&content-id=amzn1.sym.93ae3f3f-3555-4971-a952-df8053b1d375&pf_rd_p=93ae3f3f-3555-4971-a952-df8053b1d375&pf_rd_r=Q4K1XDNR2Z2PRESP6561&pd_rd_wg=g2LPs&pd_rd_r=e244f770-57eb-4b3a-a11d-54d57e82b809&pd_rd_i=B07T8HX8ZZ&psc=1
It seems to include switches, wiring and 2 relays. Likely your best bet unless you have these items at home already.

Installing the lights is as easy as removing the OEM reflectors, bolting the light brackets in, attaching the reflector to the other side of the bracket.
Zip tie the wires gently to the brake lines up under the fairing.

IMG_4014.JPGIMG_4015.JPGIMG_4016.JPG

@Willsmotorcycle installed his lights on the fender bolts. I did mine on the reflector brackets. Those ultimately go to the fender bolts and forks ;)
Thanks, that looks like a very neat job

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I wanted the yellow to show further for conspicuity with my low beam and the white to fill the closer in area when my high beams were on.
This is how I'd want them wired. Could you run down a quick overview of your wiring? I'm thinking no switches are necessary but add a level of control if some to run the lights independently of the beam switch position. I don't see that being my use case. Three wires? Two relays no relays?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
This is how I'd want them wired. Could you run down a quick overview of your wiring? I'm thinking no switches are necessary but add a level of control if some to run the lights independently of the beam switch position. I don't see that being my use case. Three wires? Two relays no relays?
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/relay-schottky-diode-bridge-rectifier-or-mosfet.183690/ This is a bit of overkill for a simple setup, but it was what I wanted. The way I wired them only needed a single 2 way relay as I only wanted one color at a time.

As for other ways (there are many)...

The simplest way to wire would be a 2 way switch running to the lights. That would allow you to pick between yellow, white or off. As for throw distance the light goes that's determined by 2 factors: how high you aim the lamps and how you orient them. If the wire goes out the top the yellow will go further. If the wire goes out the bottom the white will go further.

1686741159779.png

Downside to this is if the lights are switched on when the bike is off you'll drain the battery! That's why most folks use a relay for switched power.

Here it is with a relay.

1686740875643.png

Next up for easy would be to buy the dual relay kit for the lights from Amazon.

1686741546646.png

None of these allow for "auto" switching with your high beam. It's all manual.

Last edited:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/relay-schottky-diode-bridge-rectifier-or-mosfet.183690/ This is a bit of overkill for a simple setup, but it was what I wanted. The way I wired them only needed a single 2 way relay as I only wanted one color at a time.

As for other ways (there are many)...

The simplest way to wire would be a 2 way switch running to the lights. That would allow you to pick between yellow, white or off. As for throw distance the light goes that's determined by 2 factors: how high you aim the lamps and how you orient them. If the wire goes out the top the yellow will go further. If the wire goes out the bottom the white will go further.

1686741159779.png

Downside to this is if the lights are switched on when the bike is off you'll drain the battery! That's why most folks use a relay for switched power.

Here it is with a relay.

1686740875643.png

Next up for easy would be to buy the dual relay kit for the lights from Amazon.

1686741546646.png

None of these allow for "auto" switching with your high beam. It's all manual.
Thanks for the detailed schematics, I'm putting mine on in a couple of hours. Using the Amazon wiring harness. Do you know any good spot to mount the switch

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Thanks for the detailed schematics, I'm putting mine on in a couple of hours. Using the Amazon wiring harness. Do you know any good spot to mount the switch
Ideally put it on the left side handlebars so it's a quick easy reach with your non-throttle hand. I didn't use the Amazon switch but here's where I put mine for my under mirror driving lights.

(my Zmoons are tied direct into my low and high headlights with just a master ON/OFF switch located below the right fairing pocket. (Below the left fairing lockable pocket is my 12v plug)

IMG_4180.JPG

Ideally put it on the left side handlebars so it's a quick easy reach with your non-throttle hand. I didn't use the Amazon switch but here's where I put mine for my under mirror driving lights.

(my Zmoons are tied direct into my low and high headlights with just a master ON/OFF switch located below the right fairing pocket. (Below the left fairing lockable pocket is my 12v plug)

IMG_4180.JPG
Nice clean install, your switch looks identical to the Amazon switch, did you secure it with a clamp, or Velcro?

Top Bottom