Got My First ST1100 - Hips Are Killing Me!

Welcome to the forum from Cornwall UK! Before splashing the cash, check your suspension settings for height and reboud as these can be adjusted to suit you. Also your local Car Trimmer may be able to help adjust or recover your seat with various density of foam to suit you better. I have has several seats sorted out by my local trimmer.

What I BELIEVE John O meant by authority model was a police bike...

but could be wrong...

Welcome aboard. I have a stock seat in the shop... but I am afraid shipping to the UK might be a little pricey!

Odie1

Welcome to the forum from Cornwall UK! Before splashing the cash, check your suspension settings for height and reboud as these can be adjusted to suit you. Also your local Car Trimmer may be able to help adjust or recover your seat with various density of foam to suit you better. I have has several seats sorted out by my local trimmer.
Thanks Eric, will go take a look at that in the morning.

What I BELIEVE John O meant by authority model was a police bike...

but could be wrong...

Welcome aboard. I have a stock seat in the shop... but I am afraid shipping to the UK might be a little pricey!

Odie1
Yes, I realised that is what he likely meant after I asked

I agree with John, a stock seat with an Airhawk pad would help considerably without costing a ton. I have also used a gel pad before, that was ok too.

Phil,

For all the times I've read that, I've never heard anyone actually complain about used RDL experience. :biggrin:. Three used ones for different bikes here and the only complaint I have is with the added height which shouldn't be a problem here. :rofl1:

Tom
Tom (don't know which one of you ;) ) - I have bought 3 used Russell seats over the years. 2 did not work, 1 did that was built for a person of my comparable dimensions. I speak from personal experience not second hand and as you know I do occasionally ride a little bit. :biggrin: I think it has a lot to do with the size of the butt bucket and whether it has the heavy duty suspension or not.

Jasper, I was in a similar situation when I bought my 13 almost a year ago. The previous owner had the stock seat modified and lowered. I'm 6'3" and it was also pushing me into the tank and my knees into the fairing. I ended up buying a used Sargent seat off a kind member and selling the modified seat to another. Aside from the shipping costs I nearly broke even so it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to switch up seats. I found the Sargent seat to be a better fit but slightly hard on the surface so purchased a much cheaper version of the airhawk I found on Amazon. This one can be filled with either air or water for a cooling effect. Haven't tried the water option yet.

Anywho, hang in there. You can get the bike more comfortable with patience and without breaking the bank!

Tom (don't know which one of you) ;) ... I think it has a lot to do with the size of the butt bucket and whether it has the heavy duty suspension or not.
Wouldn't really matter which one of the Tom's as all three of us are of the diminutive butt size and are fine with any used RDL ;).

I agree the heavy duty suspension would make no difference to us but without it one of we four might have a problem. :rofl1:

Tom

6'3". 33" inside leg. The 1100 was a superb ride for me without mods.

One option is to see a physio. Tell them the problem you are having, what you need to be able to do and they will be able to tell you what exercises you need to do, how hard and how often. Often a simple routine often repeated, without getting strenuous is all that is needed. Sometimes they may need to work on muscles which have become tight and contracted.

They really know what they are doing.

Ive developed a similar problem over covid lockdown. It has become difficult to lift my right leg off the peg. Im trying some exercises of my own, but if it doesn't work a physio will straighten me out.

Yes, I realised that is what he likely meant after I asked
The standard seat will work just fine. That seat you've got on is way too low.
Buy another standard seat and send it off to Saddle Craft in South Shields for gel insert/s and a better anti slip covering. If you're keeping the bike do it now, don't wait.
Upt'North.

You might want to look into getting some bar risers as well. They might help with your sitting position, and they are cheaper than a custom seat.

Yes, but will exacerbate the forward lean with the OEM handlebar position for us taller riders.
You're not wrong, but after riding service bikes with similar ergonomics for many (how many!) miles it never troubled me. The first thing I did with my new ride was to remove the bar risers that the PO fitted. If the thread starter has moved to a Pan from less touring style bikes it should be good.
Upt'North.

I’m 6’2” with a 33” inseam. I have a modified Corbin Saddle (thicker stitching foam). I can get both feet flat on the ground, I don’t slide forward on my saddle. I can, and have ridden 12-14 hours per day. (I did that recently coming home from Newfoundland). I do move my legs around and use the rear pegs a lot which relieves the pressure on my hips. I will also alternate one foot on the passenger peg the other foot on the front pegs, then reverse the positions.
Once the bike is set up to your ergonomics you will find this is an excellent long distance tourer

Attachments

• 06E8CD94-191A-48F4-AC2E-D066543EAC27.jpeg
    06E8CD94-191A-48F4-AC2E-D066543EAC27.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 14
Not sure if you can source them but another mod is to lower the pegs (there are adapters made in the past and as I said, finding them may prove a little tough), but they install in minutes and lower the peg and move them forward by ~ 1.5”. I have them on both ST’s. They may scrape easier in the turns, but I never go that low anyway- These with a higher seat may be all you need. Actually, there is a company called Knight Designs that makes the full peg and it would be lowered as well. Not sure if they ship to the UK, but it’s worth a look.

Looking at the OP's current seat compared to a stocker and reading what he said about how it positions him it seems very unlikely that risers alone would alleviate much if any of his hip discomfort.

Risers would probably offer some relief for the Quasimodo effect but not for the hips etc. Being able to lift feet off the pegs and put them down on the ground at a stop probably supersedes a backache. Risers before a new seat option would probably mitigate a problem that doesn't yet exist. Even if it did it still seem secondary but risers remain a worthy recommendation.

One option is to see a physio. Tell them the problem you are having, what you need to be able to do and they will be able to tell you what exercises you need to do, how hard and how often.
I think this is some of the best advice yet. Barring significant joint damage exercising muscles might be the quickest noticeable relief while sourcing seating and riser options. It wouldn't help with banging his knees into the fairing but being able to put feet down without significant effort in a timely manner could be huge.

That and maybe the OP stops wearing 'skinny jeans' could be an immediate start.

Also replacing the ST's footpegs with GoldWing footpads will provide .75-1" extra room. That might be easier than acquiring peg-lowering kit.

I’ll inspect the hose again just to be sure and get a new clip ordered up… my macgyver fix of a cable tie probably won’t hold it either!
Phil,

For all the times I've read that, I've never heard anyone actually complain about used RDL experience. :biggrin:. Three used ones for different bikes here and the only complaint I have is with the added height which shouldn't be a problem here. :rofl1:

Tom

I have a Russell that was obviously made for someone shorter than myself. I have complained many times about the 1100 stock seat but it was more comfortable than the Russell. I've had 4 Russells" made for me over the years. 3 were definitely Day Long saddles. I call the 4th, for a solo Valkyrie (1500), my half day long saddle. It replaced the stock seat which was good for about 3 hours. An Air Hawk and sheepskin makes that Russell better.

Back
Top Bottom