Got My First ST1100 - Hips Are Killing Me!

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Looking at the OP's current seat compared to a stocker and reading what he said about how it positions him it seems very unlikely that risers alone would alleviate much if any of his hip discomfort.

Risers would probably offer some relief for the Quasimodo effect but not for the hips etc. Being able to lift feet off the pegs and put them down on the ground at a stop probably supersedes a backache. Risers before a new seat option would probably mitigate a problem that doesn't yet exist. Even if it did it still seem secondary but risers remain a worthy recommendation.
I definitely meant taller bars in conjunction with a more-suitaable seat.

You have to first position your butt to suit your lower half, then position your hands to suit your upper half.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Standard stock seat and a set of 1 inch gen mars and I am as comfortable as a clam;) . Give your body time to adjust. I thought the same as you but after the risers I'm good.

OP
OP
Jasper68
Looking at the OP's current seat compared to a stocker and reading what he said about how it positions him it seems very unlikely that risers alone would alleviate much if any of his hip discomfort.

Risers would probably offer some relief for the Quasimodo effect but not for the hips etc. Being able to lift feet off the pegs and put them down on the ground at a stop probably supersedes a backache. Risers before a new seat option would probably mitigate a problem that doesn't yet exist. Even if it did it still seem secondary but risers remain a worthy recommendation.

I think this is some of the best advice yet. Barring significant joint damage exercising muscles might be the quickest noticeable relief while sourcing seating and riser options. It wouldn't help with banging his knees into the fairing but being able to put feet down without significant effort in a timely manner could be huge.

That and maybe the OP stops wearing 'skinny jeans' could be an immediate start.

Also replacing the ST's footpegs with GoldWing footpads will provide .75-1" extra room. That might be easier than acquiring peg-lowering kit.
Those jeans are super stretchy!!!

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
Hi Jasper, you're not alone in the hip problem, I get stinging cramps but more-so on the other bike with my knees about 2 feet apart.
The 13 has adjustable seat height so I'm on mid position but I also use an Air Hawk to fine tuned the height and provide exact contour for extra comfort, bought it 2nd hand for £40 and worth every penny.
Off to France tomorrow for a 2,600 mile trip and I'm sure this pad will work a treat. :cool:

Bike
VStrom 650
Beware of peg lowerers in the UK if you enjoy the bends. My feet constantly dragged on the floor with standard pegs and size 11(UK) feet.
Upt'North.

Edit.....forgot to say......at least by starting with a standard seat you have a known point of reference.

OP
OP
Jasper68
Beware of peg lowerers in the UK if you enjoy the bends. My feet constantly dragged on the floor with standard pegs and size 11(UK) feet.
Upt'North.

Edit.....forgot to say......at least by starting with a standard seat you have a known point of reference.
Yep, have a super clean standard seat on the way.

Yep, size 11 feet can be an issue, I also have a pair of those.

I will fit the seat, tweak gear and brake levers if needed, then ride for a while.

The problem with current seat is not just too low, but the slope pushes your hips into a pelvic tilt that reduces any space at the front of the hip joint for flexion.

I am confident that the higher seat will help a lot. Will report back with findings.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jasper68
For your height and inseam I'd say that seat couldn't get any worse; not only is it too low but the notch is too close to the front.
My hips agree with you this morning. Gonna clean the bike up over the coming days ready for new seat midweek!

OP
OP
Jasper68
Replacement stock seat acquired and fitted to bike. I sold the one that came with the bike before the replacement arrived, and for twice the cost of the stock one, so happy there.

Haven't been out yet as weather crappy, but have sat on the bike. Still feel tight in front of hips but much better than before. I'll be heading out over the weekend to put things to the test. I am sure just riding the thing, if only for 15 mins a day for a week or two will start to get those muscles relaxing.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Hope the seat works out for you!

Usually the order of custom fitting the bike to you is seating, handle bars and then windshield.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Replacement stock seat acquired and fitted to bike. I sold the one that came with the bike before the replacement arrived, and for twice the cost of the stock one, so happy there.
OK! Making a little profit is always a good thing. I'd suggest a little stretching and the recommendation to a physio is still a good one. Keeping ahead of the curve would probably give you longer riding time sooner than just "taking the pain". But you've made progress!

OP
OP
Jasper68
Ok. Been out for a 40 min ride and the new stock seat has massively improved my comfort. I still feel myself sliding forward a little and wanting to push my butt to the back of the seat, but it's night and day compared to before.

Could I benefit with some pullback risers? Maybe. It would just give be that extra few degrees towards a really comfortable upright position, but I'm gonna ride the thing for a good while before I make any decisions on that.

Footpeg issues - Before, I really struggled to lift my foot off the footpegs. That is much improved but I still feel getting some miles under my belt, and some stretching will sort that out. I will likely adjust the gearchange lever down very slightly, brake lever seems ok.

Lower footpegs a la Goldwing ones? Probably be a good idea, but will wait and see. I'm never gonna be scraping the pegs like I used to as a youngster, so nothing to worry about there.

But, on the whole, a MASSIVE improvement in ride position, general comfort and safety I think. Hopefully this thread might help other people in a similar situation.

So, for now, get some regular riding in. Even the fact that the thing is so heavy and easily dropped concerns me, but with some practice that will sort that out.

Cheers once again for all the help!!!!

Bike
VStrom 650
Ok. Been out for a 40 min ride and the new stock seat has massively improved my comfort. I still feel myself sliding forward a little and wanting to push my butt to the back of the seat, but it's night and day compared to before.

Could I benefit with some pullback risers? Maybe. It would just give be that extra few degrees towards a really comfortable upright position, but I'm gonna ride the thing for a good while before I make any decisions on that.

Footpeg issues - Before, I really struggled to lift my foot off the footpegs. That is much improved but I still feel getting some miles under my belt, and some stretching will sort that out. I will likely adjust the gearchange lever down very slightly, brake lever seems ok.

Lower footpegs a la Goldwing ones? Probably be a good idea, but will wait and see. I'm never gonna be scraping the pegs like I used to as a youngster, so nothing to worry about there.

But, on the whole, a MASSIVE improvement in ride position, general comfort and safety I think. Hopefully this thread might help other people in a similar situation.

So, for now, get some regular riding in. Even the fact that the thing is so heavy and easily dropped concerns me, but with some practice that will sort that out.

Cheers once again for all the help!!!!
If you're lowering the gear change take the opportunity to clean and lube the rose joints. They'll thank you for it.

Bike
2009 ST1300
Yes I was thinking that earlier, wonder if he's using the original bars and what they look like even. I've got a set on mine and when I asked the guy I bought it off of if he had the the originals he said forget it, you don't even consider them. Whatever I thought.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Taller bars are a great help, too, because you don't have to bend as much at the waist to push yourself back in the seat.

Look again at my bike. Note how thick my seat is, as well as how high the bars are compared to the fairing.

The best advice is having another place for your feet, which changes the pressure points on your butt and thighs.

1662827806490.png

Bike
VStrom 650
There's definitely a left/right thing going on with regards to sitting position, don't ya think.
It's nothing new, you left siders have always received the high bar options on Japanese bikes going right back to the sixties. I guess that's how you like it.
But the red ST above looks like an intrument of torture to me and I've never seen its like in Europe. Don't think I ever will?
It's probably got a lot to do with road types/usage/riding styles etc. You left siders for instance are the home of the cruiser, again a rarity in these parts.
Horses for courses I spose.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom