Got My First ST1100 - Hips Are Killing Me!

Bike
2000 ST1100
Like I said earlier give it time and your body will adjust. I came from 22 years of cruiser type bikes before I got my ST1100. Rode the bike home 60 miles from the selling dealer and when I got off I said oh my what's going here as my wrist and back muscles were complaining. The biggest thing I think is on the cruiser type bikes your muscles are not as strained. Once you start exercising those muscles they don't complain anymore. Yeah the standard seat has probably molded to my butt shape by now and the risers helped alot. It's really strange now that when I sit on a cruiser motorcycle it feels funny and not as comfortable as the 1100.

Bike
VStrom 650
Like I said earlier give it time and your body will adjust. I came from 22 years of cruiser type bikes before I got my ST1100. Rode the bike home 60 miles from the selling dealer and when I got off I said oh my what's going here as my wrist and back muscles were complaining. The biggest thing I think is on the cruiser type bikes your muscles are not as strained. Once you start exercising those muscles they don't complain anymore. Yeah the standard seat has probably molded to my butt shape by now and the risers helped alot. It's really strange now that when I sit on a cruiser motorcycle it feels funny and not as comfortable as the 1100.
You're not wrong, when you're right, you're right.
Going from one bike to another can be very strange. We recently acquired a VSTrom 650. Much "smaller" bike than the 11. We did a few hundred miles on the STrom, removed the risers and lowered the riders pegs, all good. Jumped back on the 11 and it felt tiny, my hands were on my knees and my legs were bent double. Strangest feeling ever. Well except after I hate a bad oyster, that was even stranger.
You have to take time to adjust, you're right.
Upt'North.

Bike
ST1100
The standard seat will work just fine. That seat you've got on is way too low.
Buy another standard seat and send it off to Saddle Craft in South Shields for gel insert/s and a better anti slip covering. If you're keeping the bike do it now, don't wait.
Upt'North.
I can confirm that the Saddlecraft option is a beauty! I’m very happy with it and cannot wait to finish concreting my new yard area so I can liberate the BeaST from the garage. The ledge is too high to get it out right now but won’t be long! I have struggled in the past with comfort due to my continued problem with Rheumatoid arthritis but I found the Saddlecraft conversion is a game changer in the recent run home of around 150 miles (well I couldn’t go straight home could I)
Well worth the investment.

Top Bottom