Old issue again with Fuel pump replacement/cost

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
No, I have no experience with it.
What I can tell you is that many aftermarket fuel pumps listed as replacements for the ST1100 output to much pressure and cause a rich running condition. Correct pressure has been reported as needing to be in the 1.5 P.S.I. range. I would suggest that you try to confirm about the pressure that this one will deliver.

Here is a thread about replacing the fuel pump with an aftermarket one and encountering fuel pressure problems as well as the fix for it.
ST1100 - Fuel Pump Replacement

Bike
R1200rt
find a low pressure pump under 5 psi then use the factory pressure regulator from the old pump. you just have to tap and install a fitting on the inlet side.IMG_0485.jpg now you can still use the vent hose.IMG_0482.jpg

OP
OP
Teteague
No, I have no experience with it.
What I can tell you is that many aftermarket fuel pumps listed as replacements for the ST1100 output to much pressure and cause a rich running condition. Correct pressure has been reported as needing to be in the 1.5 P.S.I. range. I would suggest that you try to confirm about the pressure that this one will deliver.

Here is a thread about replacing the fuel pump with an aftermarket one and encountering fuel pressure problems as well as the fix for it.
ST1100 - Fuel Pump Replacement
Thanks for the reply,
That should be the best part of this one, it would actually only replace the factory pump, you would still have the original strainer and the pressure relief valve in place

OP
OP
Teteague
Or buy a Quantum fuel pump and a cheap pressure regulator.
I've got several thousand miles on that set up and it works well.
I have that now, acted like it was starving after a short 90 mph run (1 mile) followed by getting off interstate and it actually stalled, but then did fire back up

Bike
R1200rt
I have that now, acted like it was starving after a short 90 mph run (1 mile) followed by getting off interstate and it actually stalled, but then did fire back up
do you still have the vac fuel cut valve still in place?

OP
OP
Teteague
totally agree, once I got it started back, I rode it about 3 miles back to my shop with no issues, at lower speeds, 35-40mph. I have not left the shop with it since, just don't trust it yet.
I can always jump on my 82 KZ550 and it never fails......... just not a long distance bike, and I'm not happy on interstate with it either

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I did the hack similar to Al but joined the pump and the regulator directly using a pipe thread tap/die set.

Bike
2000 ST1100
totally agree, once I got it started back, I rode it about 3 miles back to my shop with no issues, at lower speeds, 35-40mph. I have not left the shop with it since, just don't trust it yet.
I can always jump on my 82 KZ550 and it never fails......... just not a long distance bike, and I'm not happy on interstate with it either
FYI, I had a Kaw 550 Spectre. Very similar to your KZ 550 except mine was more cruiser type and came with a shaft drive. The motor is more than capable as I've made many 500 plus mile riding days on mine. The tank was only good for 125 miles but the motor was able and willing.

OP
OP
Teteague
FYI, I had a Kaw 550 Spectre. Very similar to your KZ 550 except mine was more cruiser type and came with a shaft drive. The motor is more than capable as I've made many 500 plus mile riding days on mine. The tank was only good for 125 miles but the motor was able and willing.
ok, yeah no issues with motor, just not a comfortable ride for that long

OP
OP
Teteague
Brand new Honda brand. Tank is clean also, carbs rebuilt 100 miles ago, carb boots replaced also, valves adjusted as needed, new timing belt and pulleys. And plugs

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Its my understanding that the fuel will gravity flow just fine, as in no pump needed, until about half a tank. Maybe fill the tank to the top and go for a ride. See if you have any issues, that should rule out all except that pump?

OP
OP
Teteague
Its my understanding that the fuel will gravity flow just fine, as in no pump needed, until about half a tank. Maybe fill the tank to the top and go for a ride. See if you have any issues, that should rule out all except that pump?
thanks for the reply, unfortunately the tank was full when I started out. I am curious as to the pressure build up in the tank, the release when you take the cap off. Honestly wondering if that is messing with the pressure regulator

Bike
2004 ST1300
Don’t know if this was mentioned before but did you use the rubber hoses that came with the new fuel pump they are known to collapse need hoses that can be submerged in fuel hope this helps

Top Bottom