1300 Clutch fluid cover screw-ed

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Anybody have the screw size for the clutch fluid cover? Is it a 'normal' size that I can get at a hardware store.....or are they a magical Honda part?
Having a problem getting one loose, and want to get a new one as once it's out, it won't be going back in.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Oops.....sorry.
I meant a screw for the clutch fluid cover....up on the handlebar!
Will try to re-phrase the 1st post.
Thanks for showing me the mistake!
What a difference one word can make.....

for reasons that I've long forgotten, I bought a bunch of them in allen head and phillips head and was giving them away to whoever needed them.

the allen head are all gone, but I have a few of the phillips head. they're stainless steel, 4x12mm, countersunk head. PM me your address and I'll send you a pair.

for reasons that I've long forgotten, I bought a bunch of them in allen head and phillips head and was giving them away to whoever needed them.

the allen head are all gone, but I have a few of the phillips head. they're stainless steel, 4x12mm, countersunk head. PM me your address and I'll send you a pair.
Thank you much!!!!
Since I know the size, let me see if I can find them local and you can save them for someone else.
If not, I'll shoot you a PM!
Thanks again!

Someone is bound to chime in... do you have a JIS screwdriver to fit?
(I'm thinking NO, or you likely wouldn't be screw-ed with the screws.)
Many here insist JIS is the only way to preserve certain fasteners on this bike. But TBH I've never owned any, but am careful R&R those reservoir bits.

Someone is bound to chime in... do you have a JIS screwdriver to fit?......
Not a clue if any I have are JIS or not. Any way to tell those from a normal Phillips?
Where would I find one? Never heard of JIS till I got here!
Why do they use such soft and sh*tty screws in the 1st place???
:shrug2:

Not a clue if any I have are JIS or not. Any way to tell those from a normal Phillips?
Where would I find one? Never heard of JIS till I got here!
Why do they use such soft and sh*tty screws in the 1st place???
:shrug2:
They are neither 'soft' nor 'sh*tty'. They are in fact a superior fastener who's design and mechanical properties are better than Philips in every way except that they're uncommon outside of Japan.

The more common Philips driver design destroys them because they don't engage the same way and no one told you that before now. :)

I think they are 0.7 pitch.

Usually there is a slight bond between the screw and the cover. Insert the screw driver (preferably JIS) into the screw head. Tap lightly on the screw driver with a light hammer. Then while twisting on the screw lightly tap on the cover next to the screw. have unstuck many MC cover screws that way.

The $1.89 “Phillips” at Harbor Freight is actually a JIS. I’ve been using them for several years and the tips have held up well. I think that I have 4 or 5, so I can always find one. If you’ve seen my garage, you know why. I still have my Vessel, but its handle color is harder to find.

IMG_0063.jpeg

Beware the bimetal corrosion issue that compounds your issue..... especially if you go stainless. Use a little antiseize on the first few threads and your problems will be solved regardless of the JIS or Phillips you use..... FYI, to fake a JIS, sorta kinda, file the point off a Phillips so it seats more appropriately into a JIS screw.

Beware the bimetal corrosion issue that compounds your issue..... especially if you go stainless. Use a little antiseize on the first few threads and your problems will be solved regardless of the JIS or Phillips you use..... FYI, to fake a JIS, sorta kinda, file the point off a Phillips so it seats more appropriately into a JIS screw.
Actually pretty much the root cause of the issue... especially with folks who park their ride outdoors all year long, are obsessive fans of pressure washers, harsh cleaning solvents, etc....
Those steel bolts are topside, water will seep into the threads, aluminum body blind hole, the ideal place for contact corrosion...
Hence they always receive a brief smack (Vessel Impacta are just perfect) before even attempting to rotate the screwdriver...
A slight smear with the Loctite LB8065 "lipstick" prior reassembly saves lots of woes there...
(encountered quite a number of neglected thus rounded off M/C reservoir cover bolts I'd to drill out and re-tap... that some riders won't have the fluids checked/replaced for several years doesn't help either... )

loctite-lb-8065-kupfer-anti-seize-schmierstoff-stick.jpg

Anybody have the screw size for the clutch fluid cover? Is it a 'normal' size that I can get at a hardware store.....or are they a magical Honda part?
Having a problem getting one loose, and want to get a new one as once it's out, it won't be going back in.
Thanks!
George,
By keeping those screws shinned up with Plexus, you won’t have those issues :rofl1:
Thanks again for taking us to the lookout and the waterfalls!! They were beautiful!!!

Actually pretty much the root cause of the issue... especially with folks who park their ride outdoors all year long, are obsessive fans of pressure washers, harsh cleaning solvents, etc....
Those steel bolts are topside, water will seep into the threads, aluminum body blind hole, the ideal place for contact corrosion...
Hence they always receive a brief smack (Vessel Impacta are just perfect) before even attempting to rotate the screwdriver...
A slight smear with the Loctite LB8065 "lipstick" prior reassembly saves lots of woes there...
(encountered quite a number of neglected thus rounded off M/C reservoir cover bolts I'd to drill out and re-tap... that some riders won't have the fluids checked/replaced for several years doesn't help either... )

View attachment 317393
Owning sailboats a long time in a subtropical maritime climate I swear by using a product called Tef-Gel for thread lubricant on stainless steel fittings inserted or threaded into like metal or bronze fittings. Tef-Gel is the stuff but the LB 8065 is quite a bit less expensive. Thanks for sharing this economical alternative.

Some anti-seize on those threads really helps with removal next time. :)

ALL screws on bike are JIS, not single Phillips anywhere. Here's differences:

Phillips was originally designed for fast production lines with unskilled American labour. Also for attaching aluminium panels on aerosplanes. Installing them too tight would cause premature fatigue of material on edge of screw, leading to cracking. Integral to this design was rounded inside corners on screws and driver. This causes tip to cam-out at certain torque. And strips screw-heads when there's corrosion requiring more torque than cam-out threshold.

Japanese_Industrial_Standard_JIS_screwdriver_vs_Phillips_head_600x600.jpg

JIS has square inside corners and doesn't cam-out. You can actually apply enough torque with driver to snap head off screw if you want.
This set of screwdrivers have speeded up my repair times tremendously! I've tossed all my Phillips screwdrivers after getting
these! No more stripped screws!!!

Last edited:
FYI, to fake a JIS, sorta kinda, file the point off a Phillips so it seats more appropriately into a JIS screw.

I've done that to a few screwdrivers Ray. I briefly used the bench grinder. Hope I didn't flatten the tips too much!
In addition to reducing angle "pointiness" at tip, be sure to take thin Dremel cutting disc and remove rounded web from inside corners of driver bit.

E6889F72-E87A-429D-A904-6EB294C74443.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom