1300 Clutch fluid cover screw-ed

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
If you already have corroded-in fluid cover screw that's partially stripped by Phillips screwdriver, even proper JIS bit may not fit properly to remove. In that case, hammer-operated impact screwdriver will work. I've used this on screw-heads that were completely rounded off! Be sure to test impact direction by pushing tip gently on hard surface to make sure it spins in loosening direction.

1690127271086.jpeg

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Much easier and much more effective to just by a set of JIS screw-drivers that have a properly contoured tip. They aren't expensive.
I DO have Vessel JIS screwdrivers. Just thought I would experiment with the above.
Problem is JIS A standard expired in 2008. All Japanese screwdrivers you can buy on market now are combo DIN 5260-PH/ISO 8763-1 standard JIS B or "new JIS" . They too have rounded inside corners and will cam-out at certain torque level. Not as badly as Phillips. I've found they too can be converted to "old JIS" by grinding out rounded inside corners.

B1E67564-EEC4-49CB-AA27-0B133FABCB90.jpeg

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Problem is JIS standard expired in 2008. All Japanese screwdrivers you can buy on market now are combo DIN 5260-PH/ISO 8763-1 standard "new JIS". They too have rounded inside corners and will cam-out at certain torque level. Not as badly as Phillips.
I wasn't aware of that- I wonder why the change.
Now before buying we need to check to see if all screw-driver manufacturers have migrated to this new standard to see if the original JIS is still available. Nothing is simple anymore!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The thing to work towards is having some mechanical sympathy for machinery. If maintenance is done on a regular basis the fasteners usually don’t get muffed up. Use anti-seize where allowed. Install farkles and modifications with an eye toward ease of future access or panel removal Of course on used stuff we are at the mercy of previous owners. I wish I did some of these things without learning the hard way

OP
OP
scootac

scootac

Will Ride for Food
George,
By keeping those screws shinned up with Plexus, you won’t have those issues :rofl1:
Thanks again for taking us to the lookout and the waterfalls!! They were beautiful!!!
That might work!
But....I'm wondering if maybe you dripped ice cream all over my cover some time???

:shrug2:

Nah......you woulda licked it off if you did!!!
:biggrin:

Bike
2010 ST1300
Problem is JIS A standard expired in 2008. All Japanese screwdrivers you can buy on market now are combo DIN 5260-PH/ISO 8763-1 standard JIS B or "new JIS" . They too have rounded inside corners and will cam-out at certain torque level. Not as badly as Phillips. I've found they too can be converted to "old JIS" by grinding out rounded inside corners.
If the screw driver has changed to include rounded inside corners, did screws change as well after 2008 (to fit the new screwdrivers)?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
For screws this small, I would repeatedly tap on the butt end of a well-fitting screwdriver with a small hammer while pressing it firmly and twisting, concentrating on keeping the tip fully engaged.

OP
OP
scootac

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Crisis averted......situation resolved.....all is good!

Found a 12 pk of proper screws at Lowes....surprise!!!
Took a screw extractor to offending POS screw.....backed that sucker out pronto!!!
Applied a bit of anti-sieze to new screw and installed. Took the other one out, and the 2 for brake fluid cover and treated them thusly.
Back together for $2.98 + tax!!!!
:run1:

OP
OP
scootac

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Many thanks to @dwalby for providing me the proper size....and the offer to send me screws if not available locally!!!
Thank you, much appreciated!!!
I owe ya one!

OP
OP
scootac

scootac

Will Ride for Food
But WAIT.....there's more!!!!
:biggrin:
IF the JIS drivers and screws are so superior.....why are they not used more.....and why (other than Amazon) are they not widely available....or even labeled as JIS?
I live in a rural area with the normal outlets, as I suspect many of us do, so if I want/need something NOW to fix my thingamajig NOW..... I don't have the luxury of going to a highly specialized source with umpteen grades/specs of parts or waiting for online deliveries.
Can anybody explain???
:confused1:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
IF the JIS drivers and screws are so superior.....why are they not used more.....and why (other than Amazon) are they not widely available....or even labeled as JIS?
FWIW, I used a regular phillips screwdriver on all my motorcycle JIS screws for decades without ever having any issues. Granted, it was a Snap-On screwdriver, so maybe a bit better than average quality (or maybe not) but until I started hanging out around here I never knew JIS existed.

After I bought a Vessel JIS screwdriver I now use it all the time instead of my Snap-On, on phillips or JIS screws, it just fits the slot better on everything. So, while I can feel the difference, I'm not convinced that using a good quality regular phillips driver on JIS fasteners is going to cause problems, but YMMV.

To your question about why they aren't used more, my guess is its a Japan market type of thing that the rest of the world doesn't really bother with.

Top Bottom