Front lever: Do you need to cover or not?

After 3 1/2 years away from motorcycling I've got the itch bad. Problem is that during the most recent 15-year riding spell I had convinced myself that riding with the front brake lever covered was the only safe way. Two deer strike fatalities just in our lightly-populated county backed up that conclusion. One of those fatalities was my oldest riding buddy; we'd been riding together since high school.

However, age and previous injuries [not MC-related] have left me with a right hand that would start to cramp up after a half hour of covering the brake and twisting the throttle. Throttle twisting would not be an issue as I have already installed cruise control on other bikes and there are threads on doing that with the ST. That leaves reliance on linked brakes as a final hurdle to pulling the trigger on an ST1300.

So, is there anyone in ST1300 land that habitually uses the rear pedal as the go-to brake actuator? For emergencies I could still grab a handful of front lever, but the hope is that it's possible to rely on the pedal as the primary actuator. The bike I'm looking at has ABS and just underwent its 32k service at a dealer.

All responses welcomed. I have already been through the wonderfully informative threads here on how the linked brakes function, so feel free to employ whatever esoteric terms are most germane.

tia, rule of 100

STOC #
I only cover the lever in moderate traffic situations. Very light traffic or twisties, my hand is ever ready but no fingers up. I do sometimes practice the quick flick of two fingers. I’ve always done this. I don’t use the brakes differently because of the linked system, maybe because I ride the Tuono much more often and pretty comfortable with my technique.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Call it old habit but rear braking beyond slow driving, scare me enough to never rely on it solely - balanced braking with these STs abs system is best. 75% of your stopping power is in the front. Tried stopping with the rear brake only and found it wanting and did not slow the bike enough. The SMC will engage the rear with front brake application. ABS will keep it from locking up. That front lever is my go to along with down shifting. Covering it I don’t but my riding style allows me to float my hand on the throttle giving immediate access to the index and middle finger - I will correct any death grip when riding long distance often. Saves the hands and numbness
Emergency stopping I use both. Twisties that present a situation a tap on the front and down shift. Stay off the rear. Hope your physical issues are not to hindering - to limit any braking applications.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Covering the front brake with a couple of fingers is always a great idea in my books, for no other reason than to speed up reaction time when you need it.

Do you NEED to, well no.

I wouldn't rely solely on the rear brake on ANY bike, regardless of ABS or linked brakes.

As for helping with the cramping, the electronic cruise controls to work, but there are also passive models of throttle locks, as well as wrist rests (some call them throttle rockers etc) that allow you to use the pressure of your hand and palm to keep the throttle "twisted."

I have the passive throttle lock and a wrist rest. While the throttle lock doesn't maintain a speed like a true cruise does, it does help.

So regardless of going the route of an electronic cruise control or a passive throttle lock, don't forget that all important wrist rest!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
As above, I cover the front lever mostly in trafficky situations, usually not otherwise.
But also as mentioned, the majority of our stopping power lies with the front brakes (there's two up front, if you look) so that's nearly always my go-to, for most situations.
Quick stops - BOTH brakes every time... while I long suggested using both brakes ALL the time because we're creatures of habit, I find myself getting away from that now. The MSF teaches that, and while it still makes sense (in an emergency situation we revert to our habits), I feel after 50+ years of riding, I now have the presence of mind to be able to determine the need for an "Oh hell! I gotta stop right NOW!" response, and will use all the stopping power available to me.
I also recognize this mantra was primarily designed for the Basic RiderCourse.
I also know this bike's behavior very well, and I typically use only 1 finger on the lever, sometimes two. The ST1300 brakes work very well when.propry maintained. I like 'em.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Wow, I cover occasionally when riding thru woods, not much around town or in heavy traffic and only then if something worries me. But there are not many woodsy areas hereabouts, and if I'm riding in rural areas it is usually with a group. A buddy was killed at the RA rally a few weeks ago - a deer bounded out of the woods, hit his bike pushing it into oncoming traffic. He was killed instantly when hit by a car. I hate to say it, but short of being at a different place at that moment, there was nothing he could have done to avoid the deer. He was an experienced rider, owned multiple bikes, was physically fit and very active, and had done a Saddle Sore 1000.

We all pick our level of risk. A friend's son owns a sky diving company. Every year someone gets injured. Those kids pick their level of risky behavior.

Out of habit, fingers on levers, always.
I wouldn't rely solely on the rear, at all - only use is for stability.

(my intro to motorcycling over 50 years ago was with enduros and motocross, so yea, that's where I gained the habit :thumb:, before moving to the streets)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Out of habit, fingers on levers, always.
I wouldn't rely solely on the rear, at all - only use is for stability.
This is how I roll. Learned decades ago and have had no reason to unlearn it. I rarely use the rear brake pedal alone. I use the front lever alone more often than the lever or pedal in concert.

OP
OP
rule of 100
It's very woodsy here in SW VA, and my practice whether on two wheels or four has been to slow right down or even to stop at the first sign of a deer. Once in our 4Runner we were hit at night by a big buck that bounded off the bank straight into our front fender and very nearly through the windshield. The evidence points to a similar move by the deer that killed my friend. We all take a certain degree of risk in deer-infested country. That said, my two closest calls as a rider both took place near home when a car turned left without warning. On the first occasion, on my very first bike, I locked up the rear and slid into the car's hood and up over the roof, landing headfirst on pavement - splitting the helmet but not really hurt. The second time, about half a mile away, I locked up both wheels and somehow managed to avoid the car while not dropping the bike. Very lucky. Sold that bike and have had ABS ever since.

All your responses have been enlightening and mostly encouraging. Fact is, my wife looked at me the other day and said she thought it was about time I got back on a bike. Hard to argue with that! No, I can afford to drive or ride, but an innate sense of thrift will probably keep me from buying a 2024 Tracer 900 Gt+ equipped with radar for emergency stops. It's fairly old tech: our 2013 Jeep has it and it works. Having had a Concours 14 and an R1200RT, and having once rented an FJR for a weekend, I've got a pretty good idea what to expect out of the ST1300.

Not exactly sure what sort of "wrist rest" Obo has. Does it look like an oversized guitar thumb pick? Tomorrow I will ride the FZ-1 that I sold to a friend after the above-mentioned emergency two-wheel lockup. Then I will know whether pursuing a return to riding is realistic.

1696991655065.png

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Not exactly sure what sort of "wrist rest" Obo has.
Click below image for example.

I use both brakes pretty much every single stop no matter what type of stop it is or how panicked or relaxed it is. I do so because in an emergency we tend to do what we most commonly do, and I want that to be my default automatic reaction in an emergency.

I will often cover the brakes in high traffic multiple intersection scenarios in preparation for the car that invades my right of way. In the case of deer however, I don't get to pick when deer jump in front of me, they do. Because of that, I think that choosing to cover the brakes only when I have a feeling of impending danger of deer seems like fooling myself. Deer can just as easily jump in front of me when I think that there is little danger of that and have relaxed my guard. Deer don't care what I think.

Deciding to cover the brakes makes sense in many instances. Doing it because I think that I can predict deer behaviour isn't one of them. If the fear of deer strikes is the motivation for covering the brakes, than covering them all the time outside of city areas is probably the best habit.

Attachments

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
2024 Tracer 900 Gt+ equipped with radar for emergency stops
The new tracer radar does not have 'crash avoidance'. It will only ADD to the braking function if the rider is already breaking and the radar believes the braking is not enough and can add some more.

Bike
98 Honda ST1100
This is one of those to each his own situations, and what ones comfort level is. I've always covered my brake, and it feels unnatural and unsafe to me not to do so. OP may have to pick and choose his spots when to cover and not.

OP
OP
rule of 100
Re: throttle rocker and more

IIRC, this device rolls with the twist grip, so it's most effective for riding on flat roads. We don't have many of those in VA. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

And thanks for all the responses. You are all helping me work through the trauma of losing a dear friend to a deer strike. His riding buddies went individually to the crash site 1/5 mile south of the BRP's Bluff Mountain tunnel, and we concurred that he likely never saw the deer before it hit him. The investigating officer was especially courteous and agreed to meet me and continue to the girlfriend's house; he agreed with the consensus. He estimated that our friend - who was known as "Speedy" from age 13 - was travelling at about 50 mph. It is doubtful that covering the front brake would have saved him. Wrong place, wrong time: 10/24/19.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Re: throttle rocker and more

IIRC, this device rolls with the twist grip, so it's most effective for riding on flat roads. We don't have many of those in VA. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

And thanks for all the responses. You are all helping me work through the trauma of losing a dear friend to a deer strike. His riding buddies went individually to the crash site 1/5 mile south of the BRP's Bluff Mountain tunnel, and we concurred that he likely never saw the deer before it hit him. The investigating officer was especially courteous and agreed to meet me and continue to the girlfriend's house; he agreed with the consensus. He estimated that our friend - who was known as "Speedy" from age 13 - was travelling at about 50 mph. It is doubtful that covering the front brake would have saved him. Wrong place, wrong time: 10/24/19.
Sorry about your friend.

Yup, you're right about it twisting with the grip. I still find it useful in all conditions, not just flat roads. Even if you don't cover the front brake it helps prevent the need to grip the throttle as tightly as normal, which may help with the cramping.

As for when you're time is up, it's up - be it on a bike or falling in the shower. Make the most of what you have left as you just don't know.

OP
OP
rule of 100
On the technical side: my two "cover fingers" are 70mm and 80mm long - 2 3/4" and 3 1/4" for fellow Americans. Are there specific levers that might minimize the reach needed to keep the front brake covered? Reasons that riding in the Intermountain West is such a joy are that sight lines are much longer and there are fewer critters trying to get in the way. No need to cover that front lever most of the time. On the way back East, as soon as you leave the prairies it's cover time again.

Outside populated areas in the IW, there's a more relaxed attitude about vehicle speed, too. Used to be "reasonable and prudent." I assume the ST is capable of maintaining 120+ while fully bagged. Correct?

Top Bottom