Front lever: Do you need to cover or not?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Other complaint is that there is not IMO enough power to move 700# and rider, even in the highest part of the rev range. I may not be mature enough for a bike like this yet; if I bought it there would have to be some other, peppier bike in the garage, too.
Who am I to argue with your opinion? I'm just another obnoxious, obtuse observer around here... but I haven't seen "not IMO enough power" before, in these parts, at least in reference to the 1300 (Things that make you go 'hmmm'...)
The power delivery on mine is one of the many endearing qualities, and I've owned a CBR600 and CBR1100XX, so I feel I'm familiar with the term.
Very interesting, this "not enough power"...
While I have never made this confession here before, in my first year of ownership I actually unintentionally lofted the front wheel. I was looking for an opening onto a main road which was very crowded, traffic running about 45 - 55mph, and drivers were not going to let me in from a side road. After a couple of minutes, with no opening or end in sight I just had to pick my best spot to get in there, so when I had a slight opening I had high rpm and released the clutch at such a rate that I was on the back wheel before I knew it (at least I didn't stall, right?) with the front about 8 or 10 inches off the street, much to my surprise.
My first and last mini-wheelie, but it was a solid one and it got my attention.
In more normal riding, I'm always in the right gear for my speed, and this bike will swallow speed at a nearly imperceptible rate, meaning many of us are on the road and expect to be at 70 or 80, but glance at the speedo to see 100mph or more indicated. I've never felt this bike was not quick enough, and have never felt I was down on power.
All the speed I need is at the end of my right arm on the throttle.

OP
OP
rule of 100
It's entirely possible that the one I rode was not at full power. Its acceleration did not feel as fast as the car I drove to the test, which has a 10+ lb power to weight ratio. ST is rated at ~7 with 180# rider, Blackbird about 4.5. So, between the possibility of an ill-tuned engine and wanting to try a stock seat, I shall continue to search.
Like you, I've never felt great about lifting the front wheel. Many of my bikes could do it; biggest surprise was on the 2/3 upshift of a 1974 R90S, which had cafe racer ergos but a stout clutch.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I still find it useful in all conditions, not just flat roads.
Same. It loses nothing on a curve since it moves with my hand as well as the grip. Somebody how has ridden my ST would move out "out of the way" not because it was actually in the way but because of some disdain. Not my problem So I never move it. I have a narrow version on the left grip and I leave it in place as well.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
we ride Sport Tourers, do we not?
Most of us do yes. But we're not a mind hive nor Borg. There are many unique use cases among the similarities of the membership. Some might say we're all unique – just like everybody else.

Top Bottom