Front lever: Do you need to cover or not?

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Where I live there are many deer, I rode yesterday and probably saw six or seven. The most important thing to do is to learn to read the deer. Talk to a deer hunter. And to learn to see them in the brush and also in the dark, in the dark it’s just eyes. I have a video off my bike cams where two large deer come running out of the brush and I didn’t brake until I was past them. It’s not possible to react to something we do not see. I ride past them eating on the side of the road on a regular basis, night and day. Here is the video, the deer come in running out of the brush on the right, very fast. It is when they are being chased by a predator like this which is by far the most dangerous situation for us and them.

Somewhere I also have one of a deer jumping over my bike, at night.
This is not a winnable situation. So, the answer is speed. Slow down so you can stop.
In traffic always hands on brake and clutch. I posted this video on youtube to remind myself that as a rider in this situation, I failed. Ride better, smarter, wiser, not faster. I am a very experienced rider. Two other very experienced riders headed out a couple of weeks ago in the dark, I followed them in a vehicle, their speed was 45 mph in a 55. Not old, just smart, and local. I saw a black bear in the road a couple of weeks ago, would never have seen it at night.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rule of 100
I am surprised. With a stated top speed of ~140, that leaves plenty of headroom. My R1200RT would run 137 bagged up, and the C14 was a good bit faster. The old Triumph Trophy 1200 could hold 130 and better with 3 bags. Heck, even my Bandit 1250 with intake, tune, and exhaust mods would hold a steady 120, although it was a bit sensitive to crosswinds despite having upgraded suspension; then again, it wasn't designed for a big windscreen and top bag. Without them it was an easy 140.
What limits the ST?

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
I am surprised. With a stated top speed of ~140, that leaves plenty of headroom. My R1200RT would run 137 bagged up, and the C14 was a good bit faster. The old Triumph Trophy 1200 could hold 130 and better with 3 bags. Heck, even my Bandit 1250 with intake, tune, and exhaust mods would hold a steady 120, although it was a bit sensitive to crosswinds despite having upgraded suspension; then again, it wasn't designed for a big windscreen and top bag. Without them it was an easy 140.
What limits the ST?
Nothing that I am aware of.

OP
OP
rule of 100
ASPC, I am a deer hunter and have found that deer and especially bucks will move unpredictably anytime from right now up through the end of the year. The 4Runner strike mentioned above took place on December 20. My nighttime riding speed limit is 35; along the road next to our farm I'm not sure even 35 is safe.
At what time stamp in your video is the deer visible?

Re: top cruising speed. Are you saying that 120 is doable? tia

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
ASPC, I am a deer hunter and have found that deer and especially bucks will move unpredictably anytime from right now up through the end of the year. The 4Runner strike mentioned above took place on December 20. My nighttime riding speed limit is 35; along the road next to our farm I'm not sure even 35 is safe.
At what time stamp in your video is the deer visible?

Re: top cruising speed. Are you saying that 120 is doable? tia
The deer are at 19:06:20. Coming out of the sun like a pair of zeros.

The ST1300 was designed for higher speeds than that, I think 120 mph is around 6K rpm. I can’t remember.

Not my video.

Last edited:
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I always cover the lever - always. It will not necessarily prevent a deer, or any - collision - but it might slow me down enough to save my life.

As was said above, ride smarter and safer - and sometimes that means slower. I am definitely a Type A person (impatient, easily annoyed with delays, dense people and "speed-minded") - but I make it a rule to NEVER be in a hurry when I am on the bike.

Pete

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
As was said above, ride smarter and safer - and sometimes that means slower. I am definitely a Type A person (impatient, easily annoyed with delays, dense people and "speed-minded") - but I make it a rule to NEVER be in a hurry when I am on the bike.

Pete
While I'm on board with Pete, at least with one foot, he makes sense to me. I still like to move quickly - we ride Sport Tourers, do we not? - but that's different than being in a hurry.
So yeah, sometimes or more often, I'm riding slower than before. I am past the point of feeling the need to prove anything to anyone, and can you believe?
I don't have as many conversations with law enforcement, with those obnoxious flashing lights in my mirrors anymore. Oh sure, I still like talking to them, but nowadays it's on the streets or out and about, and they're not asking me to sign anything any more.
And I initiate the conversation, not them.

Bike
R1200rt
While I'm on board with Pete, at least with one foot, he makes sense to me. I still like to move quickly - we ride Sport Tourers, do we not? - but that's different than being in a hurry.
So yeah, sometimes or more often, I'm riding slower than before. I am past the point of feeling the need to prove anything to anyone, and can you believe?
I don't have as many conversations with law enforcement, with those obnoxious flashing lights in my mirrors anymore. Oh sure, I still like talking to them, but nowadays it's on the streets or out and about, and they're not asking me to sign anything any more.
And I initiate the conversation, not them.
I bet you looked good in stripes :rofl1:

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
How did this thread go from covering the front brake cus deer for safety to will this bike make me go 120 all day?

Seems like someone is just here to fish.

STOC #
As far as using back brake only, I drag the rear brake in tight parking lot maneuvers and to scrub speed in the twisties, as it cuts down weight transfer. I also will sometimes use it when slowly rolling to a stop at a red light or stop sign.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
As far as using back brake only, I drag the rear brake in tight parking lot maneuvers and to scrub speed in the twisties, as it cuts down weight transfer. I also will sometimes use it when slowly rolling to a stop at a red light or stop sign.
Exactly the same.

OP
OP
rule of 100
You guys are a tough crowd. Stay away for a day, and folks are already sniffing.

Yesterday I took a ride on my old FZ-1, now in the hands of a good friend who also has in his garage a 1961 BSA 650 and a 1974 R900S. The brace shown below went along, too. It has a spring steel shank that curves around to the middle of the palm, and it works like it was made for the purpose, resting comfortably on the throttle handle and not impeding any manual functions. It took about 10 minutes for all the old muscle memory to kick in: brakes got covered [two fingers] in all the right places without conscious thought. Cornering smoothly took a little longer to remember. By the end of the ride I was ready to crank it up on the interstate but resisted the urge. I often chat with LEO's, so on the rare occasion when one stops me I usually make sure to have license, registration, and insurance card ready - and crack whatever joke seems right for the occasion. Generally it works and no ticket appears. Here in our little corner of heaven the judges seem to compete for who can be the hardest on speeders. Get a ticket for over 85 and you may do some time. So I crack the century in other states, and of course only out West can you keep a good triple-digit pace for very long. The ST will have to be some kind of good to cruise like the C14 and R12RT in the Nevada Outback.

Tomorrow I will meet a fellow who's selling his ST13 and take a test ride. Also planning to check out a Tracer 900 and various Triumph triples of the S-T persuasion. The weight of the ST13 is a concern. The only other bike this heavy was the C14, which I once dropped very slowly onto the floor of my garage after using the front brake to come to a stop. 30" inseam.

Attachments

OP
OP
rule of 100
2012 with ABS. All maintenance receipts; just had the 36k service at a Honda dealer. Owner was not happy after getting it back because it idled too fast when warm. It had not done this before the service. After a few tries at remediation with gaskets and seals, he took it to a second dealer where they eventually replaced a throttle body [I don't know how many of these the V-4 has].
Asking $6500. Have already told him I'm not buying today. I think he's still upset about all the $ he's thrown at his bike and may eventually calm down and decide to keep it. Time will tell.

OP
OP
rule of 100
Background and some corrections: the bike just had its 32k service [not 36 - no such animal]. Owner had all receipts going back to his purchase in 2013 from American Honda. Bike spent its first 47xx miles as a complimentary loaner to an m/c magazine. Almost nothing has been done to it other than tires and routine service. It turns out that throttle body was not replaced; rather, the 2nd dealer involved with the 32k service ended up doing something involving wax and a bullet that affects cold [not warm, as stated above] idle. All good now, 7k on rear tire and it still looks OK. 1" bar riser.

Test drive started in a crowded, off-camber parking lot at lunch hour. Throttle and clutch pickup was silky smooth, and I was able to put feet on pegs after about 20'. All controls were instinctive, except I never could get the bike into 6th gear. So little sensation of speed that it kept creeping past 80 as I cruised along. Windshield worked as it should, as in all ways the bike exhibited quiet competence. Brakes were very, very good. I never even tried the rear by itself, and minimal pressure on front lever [with help from rear, as is my habit] made good stopping power.

Only two complaints: the Corbin seat was too high for my legs in its upper setting, and when set low it kept me right up against the tank. No discomfort, but in general the seat reminded me of an equestrian saddle: HARD. Owner says the stock seat is both narrower and softer. Other complaint is that there is not IMO enough power to move 700# and rider, even in the highest part of the rev range. I may not be mature enough for a bike like this yet; if I bought it there would have to be some other, peppier bike in the garage, too.

I will search "wax bullet" and look for an ST around somewhere with a different seat. Are there any seats that adjust for height at both front and rear? Doubt I will find a cleaner one at this price. When I asked owner if he might keep it, he just grinned and said, "Yes, if I don't get my price." At the last, he admitted that he might consider replacing this one with a BMW K1600GTL.

Top Bottom