Im leaving boston

Bike
2005 VFR800
Its $30 now. I have a senior disabled pass so its free, as was the pass. It was worth the $30 tho!
If u ever get a chance, take 89s out of prescott arizona. Steep, curvy and beautiful! What a ride. It scared the hell out of me!
Saw my first cactus today. Pretty cool!
Im beat. Was up late last night w my tent neighbor.
Will b in joshua tree tomorrow and a check in at the yuppy tee pee. 789CCE2B-8FCD-45B4-A237-7B5EB00E4823.jpeg025EE8E0-BBFB-478A-BB1C-01B0A1A08FF9.jpeg9C39C077-740B-44E7-B9C1-0C25A06901E8.jpeg
Your in Arizona today?
Its $30 now. I have a senior disabled pass so its free, as was the pass. It was worth the $30 tho!
Are you going through San Diego?

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Your in Arizona today?

Are you going through San Diego?
I doubt it. Probably heading north to death valley. Im gonna hit mojavy the day after tomorrow and see how i feel. Im def more of a cool weather rider than a hot temp rider.
Yes, im in salome arizona right now. About 175 east of joshua

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Probably heading north to death valley. Im gonna hit mojavy the day after tomorrow and see how i feel. Im def more of a cool weather rider than a hot temp rider.
yeah, its the time of year when the deserts start to heat up, DV is in the 105-108F range the next few days, so if you really don't like the heat you may want to reconsider your route. It was a light snow year, so the Sierra pass roads are mostly open now, not sure about all of them. If you like cool weather riding, that's your kinda place.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
The pics are great, the commentary is great, keep it coming. I gotta live vicariously through you for a while longer yet. When you get back, I'd sure like to hear what kit you were wearing, how you managed the clothing to suit the weather, and the camping gear that worked, or didn't. Keep it coming!

RT

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
The pics are great, the commentary is great, keep it coming. I gotta live vicariously through you for a while longer yet. When you get back, I'd sure like to hear what kit you were wearing, how you managed the clothing to suit the weather, and the camping gear that worked, or didn't. Keep it coming!

RT
Ha! My rain gear cost $40! Works great too!

Bike
2005 VFR800
I doubt it. Probably heading north to death valley. Im gonna hit mojavy the day after tomorrow and see how i feel. Im def more of a cool weather rider than a hot temp rider.
Yes, im in salome arizona right now. About 175 east of joshua
Cool weather rider? Death Valley? I always assumed Death Valley got it's name because of it's desert hot temperatures and lack of accommodations, I certainly have no experience traveling in that region. I have been to Arizona many times in the past 50 years, in fact last year I fly to Phoenix to buy my VRF800 but travel hwy 85 to hwy 8 west. took 5 hours to ride that thing back to San Diego, lots of gas stops. I haven't travel 10 in many years. Have a wonderful ride and Watch out for those pesky rattlesnakes and scorpions!

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Cool weather rider? Death Valley? I always assumed Death Valley got it's name because of it's desert hot temperatures and lack of accommodations, I certainly have no experience traveling in that region. I have been to Arizona many times in the past 50 years, in fact last year I fly to Phoenix to buy my VRF800 but travel hwy 85 to hwy 8 west. took 5 hours to ride that thing back to San Diego, lots of gas stops. I haven't travel 10 in many years. Have a wonderful ride and Watch out for those pesky rattlesnakes and scorpions!
Yea, i feel the same contradiction! But, im in a teepee in yucca ca for the next two nights, so i should see some desert. Death is supposed to b around 105 today, which doesnt thrill me at all. I was looking at a loop from death valley to zion as i head back to my kids house. No one said i had do hurry. Would like to do Zion from the popposite direction i did last year.
Would love to see a scorpion or a rattler,,,,, from a distance!

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
So, i hit the wall! I dont know if it was the sun or the heat, but i spent an hour in joshua tree welcome center eating salted nuts and sipping water. My butt was kicked.
I eventually recovered and took a slow ride thru the park. You CANNOT get water, soda, gas, cell service or anything there. Its “ rustic” and wonderful.
Made it to the tee pee. Pics soon!6BF081B0-630D-4D3D-ADC7-32F9DE65B362.jpegA160920D-A700-43DF-972F-BC1391A351CE.jpeg98BD2118-D38A-4319-A2C1-364024CF654A.jpeg

Jevers

Jevers
Bike
2017 Yamaha SCR950
Very cool, thanks for sharing your photos with us! Speaking of cool. How low do the temps go at night in the desert? Jevers

Jevers

Jevers
Bike
2017 Yamaha SCR950
So, i hit the wall! I dont know if it was the sun or the heat, but i spent an hour in joshua tree welcome center eating salted nuts and sipping water. My butt was kicked.
I eventually recovered and took a slow ride thru the park. You CANNOT get water, soda, gas, cell service or anything there. Its “ rustic” and wonderful.
Made it to the tee pee. Pics soon!6BF081B0-630D-4D3D-ADC7-32F9DE65B362.jpegA160920D-A700-43DF-972F-BC1391A351CE.jpeg98BD2118-D38A-4319-A2C1-364024CF654A.jpeg
Sounds like you got a little heat sickness. I got a spell of that down near Dallas over the 4th of July a few years back. 102° with high humidity . Be careful with the heat! Jevers

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I eventually recovered and took a slow ride thru the park.
Micheal, looks like de-hydratation symptoms. With sweat, your not only loosing water, but salts (or electrolytes).

Do you remember a tread, here, about importance of re-hydratation ? Gatorade ?

There are some product to help you rehydrate, in powder or tablets, like Hydralyte, Gastrolyte, etc, available in pharmacy.
No store around ? Maybe others campers can have a first aid kit with them and help you.
Look for a small family, a mother with kids. She probably is well prepared for any kind of emergency. Or an ex-military.
Take it seriously, please.

If you loose to much of those salts, even if you drink, it won't help much to re-hydrate you. You also need those salts, so the body's chemistry and metabolism could work as it should.
One of those product is called Gastrolyte. It does the same job: after a gastro, you also need to bring your electrolytes back to normal.

De-hydratation is a serious thing.

Symptoms are :
  • feeling thirsty.
  • dark yellow and strong-smelling pee.
  • feeling dizzy or lightheaded.
  • feeling tired... no energy at all...
  • a dry mouth, lips and eyes.
  • peeing little, and fewer than 4 times a day.
In more severe cases, you can also have : fever, delirium, inconsciousness.

No joke Micheal. I think you need some friendly help from someone, there.
Water alone might not be enough. I've been there before. I know.
I got a bad gastro, ounce, on a holiday trip, away from home.
In the span of 12 hours, I lost so much water (even if I was drinking a lot to compensate), I finally lost consciousness and ended up in ambulance and in hospital.
Was so weak, I could barely move, and for two days, couldn't stay up, on my legs.

Please, keep up posted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom