2017 IBR. The BIG one

Awesome Ken!

Wolfe Bonham is in 9th. Wolfe is Ontario guy I recently met. Also a 1st timer. (Not a ST-O member)

Looking down the list I see Raven on a Caprinord. She's a member here.
Click on the Spot icons on the spotwalla page and info comes up for that spot. Spot #113 is actually a device which DeviceTZone of Winnipeg, 171 is Moncton....I had a Toronto one but lost the exact spot number.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well . . . it's just after 10pm and all arrivals at the Checkpoint 10:01 and later are DNF (did not finish) and out of the rally.

The Spotwalla page makes it look like there are a lot of riders who didn't make it, but there's both a lag in SPOT Tacker updates from the device to the SPOT network and then another as the SPOT data is transferred to the Spotwalla server for the IBR display we see.

The new finishers report is expected in the morning and we'll see what's what then. By the time it's out, most riders will already be back on the road after getting their new rally packet of instructions at 4:00 am.

Shuey

OP
OP
OhioDeere

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Round 2 is posted! Ken holding position. Doing good job.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Click on the Spot icons on the spotwalla page and info comes up for that spot. Spot #113 is actually a device which DeviceTZone of Winnipeg, 171 is Moncton....I had a Toronto one but lost the exact spot number.
The Toronto Spot is Wolfe Bonham. The numbers don't mean much for long as they keep being changed.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
20170701_093056_1499086343118_resized[1].jpg20170701_093044_1499086344532_resized[1].jpg
Spied this fully loaded, well equipped IBR bike Saturday morning in TULSA. It was in the parking lot of the IRON LIGHTNING BMW dealer.
Aux. Fuel tank, 2 sets of fog lights, Double Navigation, lots of xtra storage, and ??who knows what else?? Nice setup on this R Bike. It was ready to rack up points!!
Brief talk, said he was headed back to Chkpt. 2. No name. They said inside he was from Louisville. Looked like rider #141 on the Tracker Map, Saturday morn. Good luck to all the riders

Last edited:
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Amazing to see the guys that bolted all the way up to Nova Scotia to catch the overnight ferry over to Newfoundland. To give you a sense for what they were in for on the ferry ride, I stole this description from Ritalin Boy over on the ADVRider forum:

Under Pressure

Right about now the riders headed to the Northeast are feeling the burn. It's been almost 37 hrs since they were scheduled to received the rally pack and this group has gone almost 2,400 miles in this time.

By now it's safe to believe they're on their way to Newfoundland. To pull this off they need to be in North Sydney by 23:45. In reality you need to be there before 23:45 but by how much? Each rider has likely made or had a spouse try to make a reservation on the boat. Even so there's the scheduled departure time and the time the ramp goes up. Miss this boat and you cool your heels for 12 hrs. You may as well turn around because chances are the points on Newfoundland are daylight only so you'll get there at dusk instead of dawn, losing another 12 hrs for a combined total of 1 full day down the drain.

The ferry crosses the Cabot Strait which can be a bit shall we say "lumpy." The current marine forecast for tonight is as follows:

Showers ending this evening then partly cloudy. Wind north 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming light overnight. Low 6.

Waves are forecast at 1-2 m which is 6' waves. That's 30+ kts of wind and waves that are 12' from top to bottom. Sleeping on deck won't work. Sleeping in a recliner will work pretty well as these riders will sleep anywhere right now.

15 minutes ago the rider with the most distance to the dock has approximately 255 miles to go and five hours to do it. Pretty easy on day one. Not so much today.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Once you get to the boat you gotta get on. The crew will know the forecast and they'll want the bikes strapped. Some riders will encounter some stress when a guy in a red jumpsuit and hardhat wants to throw a four inch strap over the bike, some may have their own straps out already. Next up compete with every other passenger on the boat for a spot to sleep. Again some riders will have an edge here as they will appear almost zombie like and nobody will want to A) Deny them sleep of B) Make them angry. If you choose a spot on the upper deck with your mattress pad and bag you might regret it.

Hopefully you are able to fall asleep (you will) well and long enough to wake up 6 or even 7hrs later. The strongest will awake with no alarm. 6' seas and 30kts could have many feeling a bit queasy. If your screaming meanie is what wakes you it will be a shock to you and the passengers around you.

If everything goes according to plan you'll be "on the rock" by 08:00 with the next boat off at 11:45 or 23:45 that day or again at 11:45 the day after. 3.75, 15.75 or 27.5 hrs of time on the island. As an aside looking at a map of NFL if one were to make a point at what would be the furthest away you might go from the dock the round trip is only 1,135 or so miles. You can't take a rest bonus on the boat but you can on Newfoundland. Depending on what the bonus locations are and how many we could see riders coming back on the last boat today or the first boat tomorrow. I doubt it would be worth it to take 13hrs of ferry for 3.5 hrs on shore.

OP
OP
OhioDeere

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
I am so happy the way the social media and rider groups are communicating around and getting help to these guys that need it. It sure is a whole different world for these guys today than back in 95'. Keep the help request coming for all to see and jump in to help where they can! Great job everyone.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
And Central Park gets a visit from a bunch! Overnight was a good plan but still a holiday weekend. Must be lots of points there - & onto "The Rock" (Newfoundland)

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
One of the IBR riders is showing a red ("Help") flag on the Spotwalla site. He's on US 20 80 or so km east of Bend, OR. No idea who it is or what the problem is.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
One of the IBR riders is showing a red ("Help") flag on the Spotwalla site. He's on US 20 80 or so km east of Bend, OR. No idea who it is or what the problem is.
Hope it's nothing more than a mechanical.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Hope it's nothing more than a mechanical.
I never saw a follow up but the red flag is gone, and it appeared last I checked that the rider may have been back on the road. There was a marker a couple dozen miles from the spot of the Help flag, and no other IBR markers had been close when I first saw it so I think it must have been the same rider.

Top Bottom