St1100 Total Restoration

OP
OP
Error85
So rear axle arrived and installed and finally it is off the table..

316.jpg 317.jpg

Also carburetor is cleaned,assembled and installed,hopefully it should be okay.

318.jpg 319.jpg 320.jpg 321.jpg

Moved to wiring..

322.jpg 323.jpg

Also got the Maxwell 1GT101DC sensor. But there was no diagram in it. It has black,black/white and red/black wire.The bike wiring is blue,green and black.Does anyone know which goes where or the which is + and - on the bike?
324.jpg

Getting ready for side steps.Cleaned with coke and aluminum foil then polished,result was much better.

325.jpg 326.jpg

To be continued..

Bike
1991 Honda ST1100
STOC #
Absolutely amazing work, and your great at documenting too. A+. I'm currently doing a motor swap but I have a good motor... a whole restoration is something else entirely. Looking forward to more!

Btw, I've done that level of restoration on only one bike, a 96 Kawasaki ZX6R. Was a very rewarding experience.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Quote : Also got the Maxwell 1GT101DC sensor. But there was no diagram in it. It has black,black/white and red/black wire.The bike wiring is blue,green and black.Does anyone know which goes where or the which is + and - on the bike?

My educated guess is that it doesn't matter. It's a reluctance pickup - just a coil of wire inside the sensor - no polarity to it. Flip a coin and hook it up either way.

OP
OP
Error85
Thank you all for your comments and support and sorry for the delay. It has been almost two months since the last time i posted and i have no idea how that time passed. I gave a little break on the project.Busy with work and plus it is still really hot around here to enjoy (38~42 degrees) and i don't want to rush things. I got time..i guess ;)

Installed pretty much every thing on the right side..

327.jpg

Worked on the handles,new seals,bolts etc..

328.jpg 330.jpg

Brake lines,cooling lines,wiring harness all coming together..
329.jpg 331.jpg 332.jpg 333.jpg 337.jpg

A temporary fix until the arrival of the new one..
334.jpg 335.jpg

Attached the front sensor temporarily to check if it is working or not..

339.jpg

I think i found my color, 'Lucifer Red'..

338.jpg

And this is how things look now. One thing i am confused is with that fuel cap breather hose.There is a T connector on the hose, one side goes to cap,one goes free to the bottom of the bike and the other one i don't know,it was missing from the beginning. Could not find it on the manual.I read somewhere on the forum that it is just a secondary breather hose that should go below the tank to the ground? Other than that no major problem so far, will try to start the bike tomorrow when the battery is charged. :pray1: Wish me luck..
336.jpg

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Really great stuff! Good luck on the startup! Don't forget to put oil and coolant in! ;)

Bike
VStrom 650
Very nice Error, and I hope it starts just fine.
Can't help with the hose I thought there was just one breather.
Nice colour, Devils Red! Like it.
Upt'North.

Bike
1991 Honda ST1100
STOC #
IIRC, The breather connection has a line that goes from fuel cap to ground, with a Tee somewhere in the middle that is meant as a secondary breather just in case mud plugs the hose from the ground up.

OP
OP
Error85
IIRC, The breather connection has a line that goes from fuel cap to ground, with a Tee somewhere in the middle that is meant as a secondary breather just in case mud plugs the hose from the ground up.
That is what i read here in the forum,thanks :yes:

OP
OP
Error85
Trying to start the bike ended up in removing the alternator. After putting in oil,water,gas and last touches, put the battery,turn the key on,(seeing the dash lights after a long time got me relieved) and pushed the start switch..a strong knocking sound from the alternator side.Trying couple of times got only wires and battery hotter. Removed and tried to turn it on the bench with no luck.No idea how that happen,just wont turn. Had it serviced the first time i removed it and it has been sitting on the shelf ever since ,rusted maybe? Took it to the shop again. Don't want to end up searching for another one. I am hoping for good news..

340.jpg

Bike
1991 Honda ST1100
STOC #
I've heard of corrosion and road grime getting in between the casing and the windings causing rubbing from the pressure between the two. At least its the alternator and not something internal requiring further teardown. :)

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
Well I have come to this post very late. WOW!!
I thought I was doing well when I had my ST1100 when I changed the timing belt and hoses under the carbs but this makes me tremble when I see the pictures! :eek:4:
Your attention to detail and your patience is amazing.
As others have noted, it's a real treat to be able to watch you do this project and I'm sure it will help many people down the road with the wonderful pictures you have taken. As someone else said, I vote you to be the member of the year.
I can't wait to see you on it riding around after all of your hard work.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Considering the scope of this project... the alternator is just a minor hiccup! You'll have it back together soon! We are eagerly awaiting final pictures with big smiles on your face! Good luck with the final assembly and first ride!

Odie1

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Thank you for the update. I am sure there a many other people besides myself enjoying your project.

Odie1

OP
OP
Error85
Thank you very much for all your support,really appreciate that. (I liked the new format btw)
So alternator is back from recovery an fitted with no problem. While waiting for it replaced the base bearings. Those cracks around the bolts worry me a little..

341.jpg

And here is the first start without headers..

Didn't expect to start so quick ,sound scared me a little :) believe me it is much louder than the video, especially at midnight

The next day. Minor issues, like one of the carbs leaked gas removed and fixed.Lower radiator still leaking coolant.There is still work to be done but i am happy with the result so far.

There is a problem though, i tried to ride it but as soon as i put it in first gear bike bursts forward and dies. But when on central stand rear wheel turns and speeds up as i accelerate in gear and rotates freely in neutral. It seems clutch lever is not functioning at all and,i can put it in gear and neutral without the lever . Also bike starts anytime whether side stand is up or down.
Removed and inspected master and slave cylinder,nothing..and i believe there is no air in the system. Might be electrical but i think it is the clutch,it might be stuck. I don't want to think that it is transmission. Will check it out tonight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Error85
Well,plates were stuck and his must be broken trying to torque the nut..I really don't like this part. Will try to weld.

342.jpg

Bike
VStrom 650
You're a better welder than me to try that!
If you are able to could you weld those cracks up and grind back flush as well? I agree, they would worry me too.
Upt'North.

Bike
1991 Honda ST1100
STOC #
I would consider replacing both the alternator plate (probably too late at this point) and the clutch hub (retainter?). If I welded that clutch part I would be worried every time I gave it gas that a piece would break off and send itself through the oil system. Welding the alternator bracket is a different story, although with as many cracks as that had I would be looking in the surrounding areas on the block and bearing internal to the motor for stress related cracks.

imo those cracks are probably from the seized alternator trying to find an outlet for the torque. Likewise with the lurching that happened when the clutch was stuck, I would closely inspect the entire assembly for any stress cracks besides the stud that broke off while torquing. Rotating parts and assemblies with stress cracks get replaced where I work, especially ones that are housed internally, like a clutch, flywheel, electric brake, hydraulic pump, etc.

Also are those clutch plates/ friction plates new or used? I've heard of plate warpage on these motorcycles, particularly the police bikes... It isn't uncommon.

Great work. That motor sounds healthy and strong. I'd consider it an honor riding a 0 mile ST1100.

Top Bottom