St1100 Total Restoration

OP
OP
Error85
I think those cracks happened the first attempt trying to install alternator with lewis-pin method which i failed.I believe they cracked when i keep torquing without the gears properly aligned. Because they weren't there the at the first inspection. They are on one side and tiny cracks but still it is a risk and i have to take at this point. Prices gone really high because of the exchange rate.

And another mistake i made was with the clutch. Last night i found out that i put the guide that rod goes in to behind the plate to the axle instead in to the release plate. Fixed that and it is working now. The plate scares me more than the alternator. I am not that good with aluminum welding.Used to barrow friend's machine and work on less risky parts but this i could not risk it so i took it to a shop. It looks ugly, feels strong but i will never be sure. Will try to find second hand release plate.Also will it cause vibration this way? i don't know.

343.jpg
Apart from that i had the chance to ride the bike for a few minutes last night for the first time and it felt really good :) One thing i noticed is that there is a knocking? feel at the handle bar not sure where it is coming from.It is not from turning left to right.It feels it is doing it in forward-backward direction like between accelerating and braking. Also the front brakes are compressing the disk a little so that might be it. I can't hear where it is coming from because of the very loud exhaust.
The pipe is so rusted,have to cut it from before the 'Y' shape where the first 2 pipes joins in to one and then those two joins together. Searching for a ready made 'Y' that will make my job easier. Or maybe i will not join them at all. Left side cylinders to one muffler and right side to another. Any ideas?

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Error....it looks to me that this weld will not last. The strength of a weld of anything depends on the mixing of the weld rod material with the part you are welding. The weld onto the plate itself looks secure, but there is little penetration on the bushing. How long will it last? Depends on the bending loads onto the assembly, and I can't begin to answer that.
When I was in the military, one of our welders could weld his initials into a soft drink can without arcing through the thin metal. Wish I knew where this guy ended up. You need someone with that expertise.

Bike
1991 Honda ST1100
STOC #
That knocking feeling is probably your steering stem bearings being loose, and the steering stem moving up and down. Throw the bike up on the center stand and attempt to move the front tire up and down with respect to the steering stem angle.

I have a spare motor, and consequently a spare clutch pack and hub for a 91. I don't think there is a difference. I'll give it to you for the cost of shipping if that works for you. Depends on if its cheaper to get it free from the US.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Error85
I would be grateful if can give me an estimated shipment cost to Turkey so i can compare..

OP
OP
Error85
Oldbikefixr you are right. I can’t hit the gas or go long distances with that in my mind.

OP
OP
Error85
While waiting for the ordered parts,it is time to do some detailing for the exterior but there is still a problem that i can not get rid of, ABS.

At first it was giving code #2 (Faulty rear modulator crank angle sensor system),removed and installed back the sensor and cleared the code. Light is still on but now i don't get any error codes only long flashes. Manual tells me to take it to a Honda dealer so did a lot of research online and there are similar threads but no solution. Checked all the fuses,connections.No air in the system,checked twice. Front sensor was replaced with Maxwell and i was thinking that is the cause but no flash for code #5 for Faulty Front Sensor but still might be it. And battery seems low on charge 12.5v and 14.6v at idle.

It is very annoying to have a red light always on than having no abs at all.And no, i will not remove the bulb :mad:

Now,my favorite part after engine building..detailing.

Starting with the plastic parts. Gave them a good clean.Tried to restore faded parts with heat gun but did not work on some plastics. In the end decided to have them painted at a professional shop,they are very talented especially with car bumpers. I tried painting plastic before with many different paints and applications but it doesn't last long and gets worse than before. I stopped trying.

344.jpg345.jpg
346.jpg
354.jpg

Restored the faded windshield..

355.jpg
356.jpg
..and lights
357.jpg358.jpg

Body parts.. I had to spend a lot of time on mirrors especially right side. It had many repairs over time there are like 99 different type of materials inside from glue to silicone..Right side panel also suffered from hits and heat had to work on it slowly with heat gun.Tried my best not perfect but good enough..

353.jpg397.jpg
349.jpg350.jpg

Painted inside of the panels with mat black just to make them look good and clean..
352.jpg

Then primer..
398.jpg

Base coat and clear.. I was imagining the color a little more dark red but it does not look bad..
399.jpg394.jpg
395.jpg

393.jpg
392.jpg

Final preparations before the panels.. It is too expensive so had to make a new one..

388.jpg
389.jpg
390.jpg
391.jpg

I have solve the abs problem before i move on. And hopefully clutch will be here in couple of weeks.. To be continued.

Attachments

Bike
VStrom 650
Well done, I think the paint will look good when it's bolted back together.
I like that your painted the plastics too, it would be a shame if they had let the side down.
Oh yes, break that ABS bulb, you know it makes sense.
Upt'North.

Bike
VStrom 650
Just looked at that old rusty collector box. That's had more than its fair share of repairs in its time.
It looks like a blind cobblers thumb!
Good work on the new one.
Now break the ABS bulb!
Upt'North.

OP
OP
Error85
Thank you all for your comments. You are right Upt'North we will see how it looks when it's bolted back together. But i am still obstinate about the abs matter :) Unfortunately no luck so far. Maybe i will try again sometime later because the weather will be rainy in two of weeks time and i want to don't want to miss the sun ;)

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
A piece of black vinyl tape over the ABS light will cut down the annoying glare...

I've been following your adventures and am simply awe-struck by your persistence, dedication, and patience. I wish you many hundreds of thousands of happy miles on your restored Turkish Delight...

OP
OP
Error85
I know it has been a while since my last post but i was enjoying my new ride!:biggrin: already did +400km and love it.

400.jpg401.jpg402.jpg404.jpg405.jpg403.jpg

And it is finally finished (almost).. I will be sharing my experience about rebuilding a st1100 later on.

I want to thank all the st-owners members for the huge support i got here and i hope this thread will help someone in the future somehow. Again, thank you all :thumb:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
WOW. That is simply a magnificent piece of work. I expect it will give you many, many years of pleasure. And, given that you've rebuilt it from the ground up and inside out, I'd forgive you for resetting the odometer to 000,000. :)

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Wow indeed, well done. It oozes quality.
I like it without the badges too and the colour looks good now it's bolted up.
Enjoy your ride, you've earned it.
Upt'North.

steve holgate

A cold bright morning in Snowdonia N.Wales UK
Bike
ST1100P
I came upon your post by accident and have spent the last hour in amazement at what you have achieved. You have done a great job and I look forward to reading your next posts. Enjoy your ride, you have done yourself proud.
greetings from North Wales.

Top Bottom