St1100 Total Restoration

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Anyone knows where this red wire goes to? (first and third picture)
That's the main fuse. Plugs into the starter-relay/main-fuse unit.

Edit: the single wire is the lead from the battery that connects to the unit.

Amazing work that you're doing. Respect!

John

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
IMG_20180416_183140.jpg

Just in case it helps with general wiring, quick piccie of mine, also the spare fuse holder infront of the battery is the charger.
Upt'North.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
The red connector is hard to come by in North America. I believe they can be had from European sources. Many of us have replaced the connector with individual spade connectors then plug them into the main relay. Or do the red wire bypass. Having said that, you have to make sure the two other wires are hooked up properly. Get the orientation for the wires from the red connector. If you don’t hook them up properly you will blow the clutch diode. That diode is located just left of the air box in the main loom. That diode controls the neutral light. If it’s blown the neutral light comes on no matter what gear you’re in.

edit. See post below mine there’s a link.....then there’s postage’s!!

thanks DeanR

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Replaced the bearings but those are not original. Old ones are ball type,those are needle. Fits perfectly but i am not sure about the difference, better or worse..
I'd think those are tapered roller bearings and not needle bearings. The majority of riders who've switched the ST's ball bearings to tapered roller bearings report much improved handling.

It's also said that getting them properly adjusted requires more patience than with ball bearings and that it usually requires a light touch. A little too tight and the steering becomes heavy. Just an FIY if you haven't noticed this already.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Thank you all for your answers.
Since I ride a 1300 I don't generally follow the 1100 tech threads, but your story is COMPELLING. I'll add my voice to the chorus of those in awe of your determination, patience, and persistence.

Thanks for sharing the journey.

Odie1

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Error85,

I just found this thread.... and am totally amazed. Thank you for sharing. You can bet I will be checking back daily for updates.... and re-reading in between...

Odie1

OP
OP
Error85
I'd think those are tapered roller bearings and not needle bearings.
You might be right. I sometimes have trouble with the terminology translating to English . I don't have any experience with the bike haven't ride it yet :)so no idea about stiffness.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
You might be right. I sometimes have trouble with the terminology translating to English . I don't have any experience with the bike haven't ride it yet :)so no idea about stiffness.
The tapered roller bearings don't need the same amount of torque as prescribed in the manual, hence the term torque to feel. If they are torqued to tight you will experience a low speed wallow. With the front wheel lifted the handle bars should just turn easily side to side with a gentle push.

OP
OP
Error85
Thank you all for your feedback. While waiting for parts to arrive started working carburetor.

299.jpg 300.jpg 301.jpg 302.jpg303.jpg

Disassembled,cleaned and inspected. Then i could not help my self to have them plated which was a mistake. Unfortunately the guy lost 2 of the needles and bend one. Also 3 of the diagrams have crack on them.Now i need diaphragms and 3 needle(don't now the part number,is it sold as a set?). partzilla and similar sites are too expensive. nrp-carbs seems fine.. Tried amazon ,can not buy from ebay because can not use paypal. Any idea where to get them?

304.jpg 306.jpg

Odie1

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Error85,

Were you ever able to come up with the parts you needed? Interested in seeing how you are coming along. I have been completely amazed by your skills.

Odie1

OP
OP
Error85
Hello again,

I was out of town for a while and i will be leaving again in short time , this time for holiday at last. I had a chance to work on the bike yesterday and my morals are down a bit..

So the speed gear and diaphragms for the carburetor arrived but needles are still on the way,should arrive next week. So started with the front wheel..

307.jpg 308.jpg

Abs sensor, i was afraid this one.. Cable was already broke.Cut the rubber hoping only to solder the wires together but the they were falling apart like sand just by touching them so had to go deeper to get a strong wire to solder.

308-1.jpg 309.jpg 310.jpg 311.jpg

I checked manual for wiring and tried to some testing. The lamp gets + from battery and should get - from the sensor but no go.. I am not sure about the wire colors and tried different variations,checked with voltmeter ,no result. Ground goes in but does not comes out. Checked with the forum here looking for a substitute and found about Honeywell,will order today. Any advice is appreciated.

312.jpg 313.jpg

With a broken will moved to the rear wheel.

315.jpg

After assembling the rear wheel a had to search the garage for rear axle, after half an our i found it in the anti-rust acidic solution. I remembered putting it there before i left the city about 3 weeks ago.Should stay in there for an hour only..

314.jpg

This is how i found it.The tip of the axle , spacer and nut was completely melted.. Well,at least it was clean :banghead:

Another 25€ to the bill and that will be all for now.. Thank you all for your comments and hope to see you again in 2 weeks with more work..

Top Bottom