Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
This thing is amazing.

Funny story - I wanted a Downmat 9 DLX because Trailace said the one he
recently got was the best thing since sliced bread. Well, I got this in the mail the day I left for Florida on
a trip. So, I took it out of the box and threw it in the bike without looking at it.

Later I noticed it was NOT a DownMat but something called a SynMat sent
by mistake. I knew a cold front was moving in on the trip back so I was
somewhat anxious as to if this thing was going to work. It does and works
very well.

One of the best parts about this is it has an integrated pump so I no longer
need to bring my rechargeable air compressor with me. The pump takes just
a few compressions for it to fully inflate the mattress - just under a min is what
I was seeing.

Also, this thing is typically $50 cheaper than the DownMat. It packs down to
about 10"x6" and on a 34 degree night I never felt any cold from the ground.
I actually felt more cold on top of me pushing down on the sleeping bag which
I'd never noticed before.

This thing rocks!!!! I'll update this later with some comparisons of other
mattresses I have but it's worth the ~$100 in my opinion.

Here's a youtube vid I found of someone demonstrating the pump:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvhD_WktMv8

I had a Downmat 9 DLX, sold it because I hated the bag\pump thing, it was also too warm, yes really. The Synmat with integrated pump had just come out at that time so I bought one, the integrated pump it the cat's meow, or the dogs bollocks if you prefer.

The Synmat 9 DLX has the same R value as the Downmat 7 DLX (which is 6.0) The downmat 9 DLX has an R value of 8.0. However anything over 5 is great for cold weather, my Thermarest Prolite 4 Large has an R value of just 3.0 and many use the prolite on mountaneering expeditions. On a bike, you're more likely than not going to be camping at a more sane elevation and temperature.

Saving $50 is also a great thing. Oh and orange picks up less hair than black and the synmat is hypoallergenic to those of you who are allergic to down.

I now own two Synmat 9 DLX pads, they are great.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yes.. Trailace told me his DownMat 9 was warm as soon as you got on it, almost too warm if that's possible to believe.

the nice thing about using a super warm pad is that it it packs smaller than a thermarest with less than half the insulating value, which means you can use a sleeping bag thats rated lower than a winter bag and be just as toasty while keeping the pack size small.

IE a 40 degree bag with a exped mat packs to half the size of a 20 degree bag with a thermarest and end up keeping you warmer. both pluses in my book. Plus by 40 degree bag is a full 3 ft wide making it very comfy to spread out.

Do you think it could be a year round pad?

<D>
yep, especially the synmat, if you get too hot just unzip the sleeping bag and open up some mesh panels on your tent for a breeze. The downmat is too warm for most of the camping you're likely to be doing so save the cash and pick up the synmat, it packs to the same size and comes with a built in pump.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
Thanks for the info guys!

I just asked for it for Christmas. If it works, then I can sell the other pads I have.

<D>

I have been looking at these for a while and want any opinions, experiences, ideals you might have

So has any one that has this mat ever tried it with the Big Agnes sleeve for the park series bags (any fitment issues?), I have the Buffalo park with the Insulated Air Core pad , 25" x 78" X 2.5" R value 4.1 (exped 26" x 76" x 3.5" R value 6) thinking of adding the summit park 15 degree down bag for pack ability or Elk park for cost performance, mostly for use in a Hennessey Hammock to help over come the cold nature of hammocks in general. Or is it about equal to the insulated air core BA pad that I all ready have?

Opinions?? thoughts, I like the ideal of not having to drag the pump along but but have read many negative reviews about the pump (both the built in bag type and the storage bag type)

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_pads.php?bid=3
http://www.bigagnes.com/bag_chart.php
http://www.rei.com/product/763834

I have been looking at these for a while and want any opinions, experiences, ideals you might have

So has any one that has this mat ever tried it with the Big Agnes sleeve for the park series bags (any fitment issues?), I have the Buffalo park with the Insulated Air Core pad , 25" x 78" X 2.5" R value 4.1 (exped 26" x 76" x 3.5" R value 6) thinking of adding the summit park 15 degree down bag for pack ability or Elk park for cost performance, mostly for use in a Hennessey Hammock to help over come the cold nature of hammocks in general. Or is it about equal to the insulated air core BA pad that I all ready have?

Opinions?? thoughts, I like the ideal of not having to drag the pump along but but have read many negative reviews about the pump (both the built in bag type and the storage bag type)

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_pads.php?bid=3
http://www.bigagnes.com/bag_chart.php
http://www.rei.com/product/763834
fits like a glove.

awesome prices on expeds here btw
http://www.neptunemountaineering.com/neptune/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Exped+Downmat+Sleeping+Pad&pf_id=PAAAIAFELJAJMEFD&dept_id=3009&mscssid=KQ9LGXAKWEEL9MHTP9M9P39FHAUJ9DC7

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
After ordering from the site Joe posted and waiting a month with no communication about it being out of stock, cancelled the order and re-ordered it from here:

http://www.backcountryedge.com/exped-synmat-9.aspx?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc

Use coupon code CTF4 for 5% off listed price. Includes free shipping and returns.

This site also has great prices on Mountain House Freeze dried meals..... if you've never had one of these, your missing out. They are extremely easy to make (add boiled water to pouch and quite tasty.

<D>

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Lois and myself are both using the Exped Downmat 9 DLX, which is the same as the synmats, except the filling material is different. The Downmat dont have an internal pump like the Synmat has. They are very warm to sleep on, and yes they can be used year round. You just don't need too much sleeping bag :D. It really makes a difference though when it drops down in the 40's.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
Well....I have found the perfect mat / sleepingbag combo: Campmor 0F down Mummy and the Exped Downmat 9 DLX

Had the most comfortable night's sleep on this combo. Warm as can be.

<D>

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Had to send my Exped Downmat 9DLX back to Outdoor Research for a replacement. Down was starting to pour out of the valves while up in Nova Scotia. Funny sight every morning at campsite with down flying everywhere when I packed it up. :crackup. OR is sending a new replacement out next week at no charge. Very good service. Mat was about 2 years old.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Had to send my Exped Downmat 9DLX back to Outdoor Research for a replacement. Down was starting to pour out of the valves while up in Nova Scotia. Funny sight every morning at campsite with down flying everywhere when I packed it up. :crackup. OR is sending a new replacement out next week at no charge. Very good service. Mat was about 2 years old.
That is too cool... ah... that is very hot..

Glad to hear they are standing behind their product.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
That is too cool... ah... that is very hot..

Glad to hear they are standing behind their product.
To follow up on the mat return: A brand new 9 DLX downmat came in from Outdoor Research as a replacement for the mat that failed. (see my post earlier in this thread) No words, no shipping charge, just a friendly word from Boe Zinter at OR "to enjoy the mat, and sorry for the inconvenience". The replacement is actually an upgrade. It packs smaller than my old 9 DLX, and it has a "internal" pump as opposed to the "bag pump" used on the old.
Service is still alive and being practiced in some companies.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
To follow up on the mat return: A brand new 9 DLX downmat came in from Outdoor Research as a replacement for the mat that failed. (see my post earlier in this thread) No words, no shipping charge, just a friendly word from Boe Zinter at OR "to enjoy the mat, and sorry for the inconvenience". The replacement is actually an upgrade. It packs smaller than my old 9 DLX, and it has a "internal" pump as opposed to the "bag pump" used on the old.
Service is still alive and being practiced in some companies.
Sounds like the popularity of the synmax carried over to the new design... good to hear.

Joe- are you still using this? Still feel the same about it?
Guy, yes. I actually take this when I visit my mom. It's more comfortable than her sofa.

Top Bottom