OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The patch kit actually states for small holes, just use the glue to patch them. I'll do that and see how it works.

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Dang Joe, hate to hear that, especially since I bought one about a year ago. Keep us updated on what you find out, especially from the manufacturer. BTW, I thought Exped was the manufacturer.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Dang Joe, hate to hear that, especially since I bought one about a year ago. Keep us updated on what you find out, especially from the manufacturer. BTW, I thought Exped was the manufacturer.
Thanks, for some reason I thought it was OR.

I'm sure I'm probably out of any warranty time limit.

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I've got four of the Exped Down synmats....and I use them a lot. No leaks so far.....
I'm hoping for more good luck. Sorry yours failed, Joe!

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've got four of the Down sym mats....and I use them a lot. No leaks so far.....
I'm hoping for more good luck. Sorry yours failed, Joe!
I'm not sure I would say it failed.... Even with the very very small holes, I continued to use it for 2 more nights on my last trip and the amount of air that leaked out was very small...

If the glue works, it's still a keeper.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Wow!:eek: Do you think a thicker footprint would help?
Not at all.. the holes are on top, not the bottom... I've checked my sleeping bag and it's fine, I can't see any debris that might be causing it.

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
Can it be the down itself? When my regular densely packed down pillow started getting old, the backs of the feathers would come poking out. Those suckers are sharp and pointy.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Can it be the down itself? When my regular densely packed down pillow started getting old, the backs of the feathers would come poking out. Those suckers are sharp and pointy.
It's not even 2 years old yet.. they come with a 5 year warranty, just not sure what 'warranty' means.. LOL.. I have an email into them so we'll see what happens.

Can you exchange it for a new one or are you stuck using Slime:D
I did patch w/glue only and it seems to be working.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I'm still happy with mine. It's gone flat a couple times, each was because I didn't get the fill valve completely closed. Best to me, it's WIDE enuff and still packs small.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Just spoke with them, a long conversation, they are very passionate about their products and making sure they learn from any issues it may or may not have.

There was apparently a VERY random issue with delamination on some of the very early mats but this wasn't all of them or even a specific lot, it was just a random issue. From my description and pics, he said it sounds like what my problem is. He said that they changed their process and have had zero occurrences of this since. It's a 5-year warranty and if this is the issue, a replacement using the new process will be sent.

Great to deal with and took a lot of time to answer questions and talk about the company.

I'll send mine off and see what they say when they get it and evaluate it.

BDonald

R.I.P. - 2014/10/15
Rest In Peace
Bike
'12 Wing
I have one that I bought about a year and a half ago and it leaks down a small amount. The mat has never been used on bare ground. I guess I will have to email them also.

Bob

Bike
GL1800
Just a thought but I found my insulated BA pad goes up and down depending on if it is in the sun or hot/cold or not.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Just a thought but I found my insulated BA pad goes up and down depending on if it is in the sun or hot/cold or not.
Yeah, that's pretty normal I think with anything that has air. If you look at my prev pics, there's definitely holes in the item that just recently developed. I didn't have any issues in SD in July and this happened in the middle of my next trip in Colorado. The temps fluctuate but they weren't very hot and very cold and the other 3 riders also had exped mattresses and didn't have the issue.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I check this thread occasionally thinking someday I will buy one. The monstrosity that I use is just too big for moto camping. I am leary now with this latest report. Sounds like they are going to stand behind it which is great but not as good as if they had made it without the problems to begin with. :shrug2:

Is there any chance you had a "five o'clock shadow" during this trip? :rofl1:

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I check this thread occasionally thinking someday I will buy one. The monstrosity that I use is just too big for moto camping. I am leary now with this latest report. Sounds like they are going to stand behind it which is great but not as good as if they had made it without the problems to begin with. :shrug2:

Is there any chance you had a "five o'clock shadow" during this trip? :rofl1:
They changed their lamination process and have since not had this VERY random issue. I would not hesitate to get one and if you get a new one I'm confident you'll be fine.

I still think they are the best mattress on the market and if there was a bigger issue, you'd be able to find it all over the net, I wasn't able to find anything.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I just got a new replacement in the mail. Whatever the issue was with my other one, it appears repairing it was not an option.

Great customer service in my opinion.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I've used mine every tent night so far this year with no issues. Adding 3 more to the count at motocampers now. Total is currently at 49. I've used the mattress inside many nights as well, easier than setting up a roll-away or fold-out.

Top Bottom