02 ST1300 alternative seat

In Aug 2023 I did a 3,000 mile trip with the stock seat. I kept sliding forward and my twins were extremely uncomfortable being squeezed against the tank. I tried all three settings from low to high, this was not a solution. Does the Sargent seat stop you from sliding forward and upsetting the twins?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
In Aug 2023 I did a 3,000 mile trip with the stock seat. I kept sliding forward and my twins were extremely uncomfortable being squeezed against the tank. I tried all three settings from low to high, this was not a solution. Does the Sargent seat stop you from sliding forward and upsetting the twins?
Did you try the front setting on high and the rear on low? That helps some.

Did you try the front setting on high and the rear on low? That helps some.
Yes, didn't really help. I ended up buying an Air Hawk inflatable seat cushion. It helped as I experimented with air pressure and cushion location but the problem was only reduced. I was riding with a friend on an 1800 cc Gold Wing and he had no seat problems at all. I'm prepared to buy a new seat but hope to have some confidence that I would feel a difference....

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Gene, welcome to the forum.

If you look into previously-owned seats, note that there is not the Russel seat or the Sargent seat; most aftermarket seats are custom-made to suit the original purchaser, so height and horizontal fit vary.

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
As previously mentioned, "Like riding a Log" the stock seat is too high in the middle and you end up sitting on your crouch instead of your bum. Tried Air Hawk and a load of other things without any improvement.
So I butchered my seat and bought some memory foam & new seat cover from eBay - now I can ride this puppy all day without having to stop to ease the pain every 50 miles!

DSCN0185.JPG

STseat.JPG

Last edited:

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
No “one” seat works for everyone. Unfortunately, you have to invest in one to try it.

I replaced my Sargent with a Corbin and am fully satisfied. No more hot spots on the bum and it keeps me in place on the seat. but I'm heavy 250lbs so I need firmer foam

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
My RDL seats are comfortable, though they do not feel cushy. Even after some time, they simply do not draw attention to themselves.

Top Bottom