02 ST1300 alternative seat

Hi y'all. Long time/no post. Pretty sure my ST has an aftermarket seat, as it is actually split into two pieces. I'd like to find a more "comfortable" seat for her and am trouble finding anything on DK or PZilla that says it fits the 02 ST.

Any suggestions for better seat equipment?

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Honda only offers 1 stock seat. You're on your own for alternate seats.

These comments are on an 1100 but I think they're general enough for a 1300.

I get about 35 miles on an 1100 stock seat. Another rider put 90K+ miles in 3 years on a stock seat.

I have found the Russell to be the best! A little pricey but you can save a few bucks if you only do the front seat and vinyl instead of leather. It looks good and doesn't need the up keep.

I found Corbin (3 different ones) to be only marginally better than a custom fit 2" x 12" plank. Others love them.

There is a guy in Tenn. that does bike seats, I think it's Terry's Seats.

You'll have to send them a seat pan to build on (except Corbin). You can buy a separate sear here or EBAY to send the seat company.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WJHamel
Honda only offers 1 stock seat. You're on your own for alternate seats.

These comments are on an 1100 but I think they're general enough for a 1300.

I get about 35 miles on an 1100 stock seat. Another rider put 90K+ miles in 3 years on a stock seat.

I have found the Russell to be the best! A little pricey but you can save a few bucks if you only do the front seat and vinyl instead of leather. It looks good and doesn't need the up keep.

I found Corbin (3 different ones) to be only marginally better than a custom fit 2" x 12" plank. Others love them.

There is a guy in Tenn. that does bike seats, I think it's Terry's Seats.

You'll have to send them a seat pan to build on (except Corbin). You can buy a separate sear here or EBAY to send the seat company.
On a whim, i decided to try Ebay. Plenty of results claiming they'll fit, but i'm not sure.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Sargent in jacksonville fl makes very good seats. Everyone has a different need for a seat. There are some that actually like the stock ST 1300 seat, I think it is simply Cruel!

OP
OP
WJHamel
Sargent in jacksonville fl makes very good seats. Everyone has a different need for a seat. There are some that actually like the stock ST 1300 seat, I think it is simply Cruel!
Nice. Might be worth a short roadtrip.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Hi y'all. Long time/no post. Pretty sure my ST has an aftermarket seat, as it is actually split into two pieces. I'd like to find a more "comfortable" seat for her and am trouble finding anything on DK or PZilla that says it fits the 02 ST.
I assume you mean you have a silver '03 ST1300, there was no '02 1300 in North America, only Europe.

All ST1300s come with a split seat as stock. You should post a picture of the seat for comment, maybe it is an aftermarket replacement for the stock one.

As an FYI https://www.terryscustomseats.com/ in TN

Most aftermarket seats have one characteristic in common in that they resemble old fashioned tractor seats. The narrow OEM is rebuilt to spread out your weight and relieve pressure on your coccyx. Those ebay seats don't look like they are designed properly. Also, 3 product ratings means nothing.

'03 or '07 ST1300 image from Russell site . This bike has had both the rider and the passenger seats rebuilt.

1642341819441.png

Bike
2010 ST1300
It would be best if you can find another ST owner in your area with an aftermarket seat and sit on it for a while. As mentioned above, different bottoms like different seats. At least one member here did not like an RDL. Most seats of that type (look at the pictures in post #6) with the support 'wings' around the perimeter force you to spread your legs a bit at stops. This is not a problem unless you are marginally tall for the bike (i.e. short).

Perhaps wait until you can go to an STOC event with many bikes and saddles?

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Highly recommend the Sargent. If you are in Florida ride up and take a look. It's not a tractor seat.

OP
OP
WJHamel
I assume you mean you have a silver '03 ST1300, there was no '02 1300 in North America, only Europe.

All ST1300s come with a split seat as stock. You should post a picture of the seat for comment, maybe it is an aftermarket replacement for the stock one.

As an FYI https://www.terryscustomseats.com/ in TN

Most aftermarket seats have one characteristic in common in that they resemble old fashioned tractor seats. The narrow OEM is rebuilt to spread out your weight and relieve pressure on your coccyx. Those ebay seats don't look like they are designed properly. Also, 3 product ratings means nothing.

'03 or '07 ST1300 image from Russell site . This bike has had both the rider and the passenger seats rebuilt.

1642341819441.png
This is interesting because the first time I posted about this bike on here was when the guy I bought it from was advertising it, and he advertised it as an 03. However several people pointed out on here that the bike was not an 03 that it was an O2 and this was evident by the fact that it did not have the powered windshield for the antilock brakes. According to the VIN, it's an O2

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
This is interesting because the first time I posted about this bike on here was when the guy I bought it from was advertising it, and he advertised it as an 03. However several people pointed out on here that the bike was not an 03 that it was an O2 and this was evident by the fact that it did not have the powered windshield for the antilock brakes. According to the VIN, it's an O2
As I remember it, 2003 was the only year that the ST1300 was available without the electric windshield in North America, and that was only models that did not have ABS brakes. All of the ABS equipped models also came with the electric windshield. 2004 and onward were all equipped with the electric windshield regardless of whether they had ABS brakes or not.

If this is the same ST1300 that you asked about in 2019 (link to original post), you wrote that there was confusion about whether it was a 2004 instead of a 2003, not between a 2003 and a 2002.
Well, with "Caveat Emptor" in mind, i'll own this one. The seller had it listed as a 2004, and had i done due diligence, i would have seen that it's on 03 and probably could have knocked him down a couple hundred dollars. On the plus side, the full replacement speedo/panel is way less expensive from what i've found for the 03 vs. the 04.
There were not supposed to have been any 2002 ST1300's sold in North America, only 2003 and up. If it is a 2002 according to the VIN, it must have been brought in from outside of North America, or there is some other story behind it.

What is the tenth character, starting from the left, of your VIN? Check what is actually stamped on the steering head of the motorcycle, as opposed to the paperwork that you have.

OP
OP
WJHamel
As I remember it, 2003 was the only year that the ST1300 was available without the electric windshield in North America, and that was only models that did not have ABS brakes. All of the ABS equipped models also came with the electric windshield. 2004 and onward were all equipped with the electric windshield regardless of whether they had ABS brakes or not.

If this is the same ST1300 that you asked about in 2019 (link to original post), you wrote that there was confusion about whether it was a 2004 instead of a 2003, not between a 2003 and a 2002.

There were not supposed to have been any 2002 ST1300's sold in North America, only 2003 and up. If it is a 2002 according to the VIN, it must have been brought in from outside of North America, or there is some other story behind it.

What is the tenth character, starting from the left, of your VIN? Check what is actually stamped on the steering head of the motorcycle, as opposed to the paperwork that you have.
Kudos. Chalk it up to a "senior moment". But hey, my bike just got one year younger, in my head. Bonus!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Oooh!! How do you like the trunk? I'm thinkin about pulling the trigger.
I love them and now have two for both ST's. I have had the first one since 2008 when I got my first ST. They hold a lot of items, more than it looks like.

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
+1 for the Sargent seat. I took a 16 day 4500 mile trip in 2018 and an 8 day 1900 mile trip in 2021 with no problems. Planning on doing a 21 day 7500 mile trip in summer 2022.

Top Bottom