970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I didn't. I have spent the time collecting parts and taking the bike apart for the alternator.

Also, there were several things online about charging issues correlating to ABS warnings lights. This included the St1100, but I didn't find anything on the 1300. I thought I'd wait and see.
The reason I ask is I had an ABS problem with my ST1300 and the service manual says that the codes will not go away by themself, running the codes is pretty simple just pull the two 30amp fuses and then turn the key on and reinstall one of the fuses when the ABS light goes out and then count the number of flashes. To reset the ABS problem just reinstall the second fuse. I had worked past the one that says you have a bad battery or charging issue.

OP
OP
NewtonNole

NewtonNole

Site Supporter
The reason I ask is I had an ABS problem with my ST1300 and the service manual says that the codes will not go away by themself, running the codes is pretty simple just pull the two 30amp fuses and then turn the key on and reinstall one of the fuses when the ABS light goes out and then count the number of flashes. To reset the ABS problem just reinstall the second fuse. I had worked past the one that says you have a bad battery or charging issue.
I'm trying to get it buttoned up to go on a trip to North Georgia and South NC this weekend. Weather is supposed to be phenomenal.

It completely killed a new battery. I asked a mechanic why, and he said that losing a diode in an alternator can turn it into a large electric magnet that's eating all charge regardless of the ignition being off.

I wonder if this cleared the code?

On a side note, I put a new GT2 on the rear that has a bead leak. Sometimes the bike gods demand sacrifice. SMH

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I'm trying to get it buttoned up to go on a trip to North Georgia and South NC this weekend. Weather is supposed to be phenomenal.

It completely killed a new battery. I asked a mechanic why, and he said that losing a diode in an alternator can turn it into a large electric magnet that's eating all charge regardless of the ignition being off.

I wonder if this cleared the code?

On a side note, I put a new GT2 on the rear that has a bead leak. Sometimes the bike gods demand sacrifice. SMH
Easy enough to find out, do you have the Honda service manual?

On your tire pop off the tire and clean the rim where the tire sets as there is probably some dirt or corrosion on the lip.

On a side note, I put a new GT2 on the rear that has a bead leak.
One thing to check before popping the bead to clean the rim seat ... take off the valve cap and spray some soapy water inside the stem ...

I've had brand new valve stems leak ... and the fix was to simply use a valve core remover, loosen the core a turn, them tighten it back up.

OP
OP
NewtonNole

NewtonNole

Site Supporter
One thing to check before popping the bead to clean the rim seat ... take off the valve cap and spray some soapy water inside the stem ...

I've had brand new valve stems leak ... and the fix was to simply use a valve core remover, loosen the core a turn, them tighten it back up.
I checked it all. It's about a 1" section of the bead. Slow leaking.

Bike
'04 ST1300,
Have fun on the trip. Wish I was there. Stayed in Suches, GA a number of years ago. AWESOME roads!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I checked it all. It's about a 1" section of the bead. Slow leaking.
Who mounted your new tire?
Just wondering, because I've seen several ST rims damaged (approximately one inch width) on the rim, from the shops using a tire iron to "start" mounting the tire with their machines.
The shops just don't seem to take the time, or care about the quality of work anymore, and just shove stuff on, often times, damaging the bead/cords/rims in the process.
I hope yours is simply a case that they didn't clean the rim off before they mounted the tire etc.

Top Bottom