1300 LED headlights

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Ok, I see a bunch of posts about LED headlights, everyone says use this one, or that one. I go to Amazon, and I'm totally lost, hundreds of choices, and here I am, knowing NOTHING about what I'm doing. So, what do I order? I know they have different patterns, I ride primarily highway, so I guess lightning down the road is a little more important than lightning to the side. Thanks guys

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Bike
2010 ST1300
Read post #8:
Also, post #8 and #13
As I said in post 13, you can save quite a bit of money buying direct from Cindy. She may not be instantly responsive, but she will answer your email (or two). Their shipping is surprisingly fast given that the bulbs are coming from China.

I would strongly suggest you read as many of the links in those threads I've pointed out. For years and years, I've been saying an educated consumer is the best customer. You owe it to yourself to know what you are getting.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
So, what do I order?
I've no doubt dduelin's recommendation will make you happy. Just be sure you order the H-4 configuration. Sometimes Amazon makes a selection less than obvious especially when they offer a bunch of choices on the same page.

As you will remember the H-4 version isn't exactly plug n play out of the box. Just cut or bend (I cut) the bottom 2 tabs leaving the 1200 tab. Then it fits just fine.

Test the bulb in the socket before securing it in the headlight. After fitting one back into the headlight assembly you might take a second to compare it to the incandescent not yet swapped out. That bulb will look like an acetylene miner's lamp by comparison.

After reading a lot of posts about LED headlights, I bought the Cougar motors LEDs. I already installed them and I think they are aimed well enough to try them on a test ride. What I am trying to figure out now, before putting the middle cowls on, is whether to put the dust covers back on each light. I don't think water will hurt the LED's, but I am wondering if the fans will pump dust into the reflector housing over time?
Does anyone have any experience with this or an opinion? It looks like I will have to trim them a little to make them work.

but I am wondering if the fans will pump dust into the reflector housing over time?.... that is my question also

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
If you just pull the led light out of the mounting ring you should be able to put the boot over the installed mounting ring.
then just push the led back into the hole. You might have to trim it a bit, but I am not sure since I destroyed mine long ago....
I have not had the boots on my bike for the last 8 years and maybe 150k miles and headlight reflectors are fine.
The light housing is vented and not water/dust proof anyway.
Without the boot the LEDs cool better.
We do not have weather in SoCal but we do have wind & dust from the farm fields in the summer.
you should be fine either way.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
After reading a lot of posts about LED headlights, I bought the Cougar motors LEDs. I already installed them and I think they are aimed well enough to try them on a test ride. What I am trying to figure out now, before putting the middle cowls on, is whether to put the dust covers back on each light. I don't think water will hurt the LED's, but I am wondering if the fans will pump dust into the reflector housing over time?
Does anyone have any experience with this or an opinion? It looks like I will have to trim them a little to make them work.
You shouldn’t have to trim the rubber boot at all. I have one of the Cougars in my NC700X and it has the exact same fit rubber boot as the ST1300. Like others have said the LED separates from the fan. After the LED is clipped in place then fit the boot then slip the fan in place. It might be OK without the boot but headlights are designed with them. My ST had similar LED bulbs and the boots were in place several years before I sold the bike.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
but I am wondering if the fans will pump dust into the reflector housing over time?.... that is my question also
I think not. Once installed with the rubber boot in place the LED bulb is in the reflector/housing and the fan is on the other side of the boot outside of the housing. At least that's how my install worked.

cougar sound good i haven't tried them myself. I use novsight silver ones with fans about £30 on amazon and they are very good

David Fyffe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 ST1300/1978 GL
I am using the F3's that Cindy sells.
Two or three weeks to get them.
A little more powerful than F2's, work just fine.
Just remember to trim off the lower locating tabs.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Let me know if I should start a new topic?

I've installed the Cougars on my bike.

I went thru the same confusion of what to do with the boots. I decided to keep them, and I just forced the components thru the rear opening..... and whatever that black cube is might be the source of my question? or perhaps not. I peeled removed one half of the cover on one of my lights in an effort to make it easier to force thru the boot.... wouldn't think I hurt it at all but I'm also out of my depth about understanding this stuff....

I got everything installed. BTW, I installed mostly from below ... I saw that somewhere. I'd love to give credit but I'm drowning in "information overload"

Anyways, this leads to my question. With the stock bulbs I noticed that when I switched from low to high beams (or high to low) there was a momentary lack of light ... ie neither bulb burned. It was likely just a half second without light ... but way longer than my comfort level.

So I decided on an LED upgrade. Bike is 2004, but VERY low miles.... less than 30K.

After installation, I had similar problems (momentary darkness and eventually only high lights burn). But I discovered at this point that my battery was likely the cause or maybe just contributing to the issue. It got very low in power ... I had been riding frequently, but I let my bike rest once I started the upgrade and honestly it's taken me a long time ... maybe a month? ... work, gun range/competitions, dating ...I've got lots of excuses!

Today I finished charging my battery. I use a NOCO 3500 ... it's a nice piece of kit and supposedly does a good job of trickle charging as well as desulfinating if the battery needs it. After a 2 day session I got a steady green light.... and voltage is measuring above 13.7 volts and CCA's measure somewhere above 600 cca..... so I think the battery is solid at this point. BTW, this Noco has revived my auto batteries AND my riding mower batteries ... I'm a believer. I did have a car batt fail to revive with it, but it was VERY OLD (more than 8 years) in a vehicle that sat unused for some time. Worthwhile piece of kit, IMO.

So I started the bike and similar issues .... but seems like a bit of variability. Sometimes they change up the "malfunction" ... the new pattern has the high beams burning but then pulsing ... I'd estimate 2 times a second.

I'm going to continue to work on this, but I decided it was time to consult the "hive mind" here. I'm not good with electronics. I don't really understand the differences in the circuits with LED bulbs vs the factory bulbs.

So, I'm opening this up for suggestions.

Extra information: I have purchased an additional set of H4 replacement bulbs ... they don't have the extra black box block that the cougars have ... I don't know what that is or what it does. So, I thought they'd fit better than the cougars (I was still concerned with running bulbs without that boot ... and these would have a better fit with the boot (that was what was in my mind at the time). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BFBH7NQL?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 So I'm going to swap out my LED's .

I have the original bulbs so can switch to these if I need to. But I'm on the verge of driving this cross country and would VERY MUCH like more light.

Over the winter I'll park this in my shed/garage area and work on adding running lights ... will likely have questions about wiring those in eventually. My old eyes (62) will benefit from every extra lumen I can put on the road ... and I'd like plenty of warning for potential critters on the road!

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
Following up on my question, hoping it may help future newbs .... I took care to get my battery in tip top condition and rechecked everything ... and just finished a test ride at night thru my neighborhood. Works great and holy cow, the upgrade to LED bulbs makes a world of difference!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
So to be clear -- you've successfully installed the Cougar LEDs?
And no more pulsing or dark moments?

Bike
2004 ST1300
Yes, Those Cougar LEDs are in, and I've only had one night ride but it went well.

I intend to do some longer rides this week, I have the confidence that from my one short ride.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
So to be clear -- you've successfully installed the Cougar LEDs?
Mark, I put the Cougar LED‘s in my ST, shortly after I got it home. I had the front off the bike,so the install was super easy. I highly recommend.

John

Top Bottom