1992 ST1100

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Well when I first starting riding my 1100 that being the first ride of the season I smelt coolant too. My bike did this for a week and quit. I think i know what happened is my coolant hoses contracted in the cold garage and seeped a little coolant in the valley of the carbs. Over a weeks time it either evaporated out or was blown out by riding the bike. I do not smell it now. Sometimes during its winter hybernation it will put a couple drops on the garage floor on the left side or front side of the bike. I don't worry about it because its been doing this for years. But as my bike ages i keep thinking well maybe next year i'll do it. I still have all original hoses and yes they do get old and burst. This weekend i have a 200 mile trip planned.....hope i sure didn't just jinxed myself.
the problem with the wait and see approach to the hoses under the carbs is they rupture and fail massively all at once and leave you stranded with all of your coolant dumped in a matter of seconds. I wish I took a picture of mine when I replaced them, they were swollen to about 1.5x their original diameters.

Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
Troubleshooting is the trickiest. Only way to feel confident is to pull it apart (to some degree) so you can get a look see. Since I am having an overheating issue this year as well I am wondering if anyone knows of a tutorial somewhere explaining where everything is... something to read so that I can follow my own advice so I can do my own inspection.

OP
OP
Found the fault. A small leak in the hose from radiator to the expansion tank. Squirted from a tiny hole :p
New silicone hose mounted. All good.

Thank you for hints and tips... I feel kinda stopid he he

Bike
VStrom 650
Found the fault. A small leak in the hose from radiator to the expansion tank. Squirted from a tiny hole :p

Well done, sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.
Don't worry about feeling stupid, we'll OK, but just a little.
Enjoy the ride.
Upt'North.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400

Good stuff . Glad you sorted it out and it wasn't a major problem.

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #

Liquids are the most insidious of leaks in this, and pretty much any, galaxy.

And remember, only your mother thinks you’re perfect. The rest of us know you’re human.

Glad you got it sorted. Time to ride!

Bike
Honda St1100
After riding today I notised a leak. At first I thougt it was oil, but the green gave it away... It was coolant.
It seem to be coming from (see picture) a cover next to the Clutch master cylinder.
Small drops of green formed under the bolt (red cross). I could not see any traces of the colant coming from the top.

Is there any connection to the radiator there, or might this be comming from the standard carb, colant problem?

View attachment 255365
Hi bud. Did you find out what was this grinding noise from clutch when you release clutch lever more quickly? I have this same issue atm.

Regards
Mariusz

Top Bottom