SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
So what's the plan when you have 3 complete ST's? Buy a 4th project? :)
BUY? I doubt it, I can't afford any more "projects"! :doh1:

I do have a polaris sportsman 90cc sitting in one of the sheds, that I'll try to get running! :cool:

Reactions: Obo
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I spent a couple of hours on it today and was able to get most of the front cowl/headlight mounted. I still need to mount the mirrors, fix one of the wires on the leftside turn signal and put the clips to hold the mirror covers on.

20221121_frontend.jpg

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I came up with a solution for the Bike Quip long cables of the windshield mechanism.
Hi Supra,,, thx for taking the time to put up this excellent photo series. You have seen a lot of oem parts,,, and some aftermarket efforts as well. What did you think of the fit and finish of the new Bike-quip gear and cables, comparatively ? Cheers, CAt'

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
What did you think of the fit and finish of the new Bike-quip gear and cables, comparatively ? Cheers, CAt'
@SupraSabre ,,, no need to reply,,, as I found your comment on the other, other thread. Just looking at the photo's of the gear and cables,,, they look to be better finished and should out-perform oem, providing the rest of the ass'y is detailed for smooth, friction free operation. I am sure you will let us know how it goes,,, cheers,,, CAt'

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
@SupraSabre ,,, no need to reply,,, as I found your comment on the other, other thread. Just looking at the photo's of the gear and cables,,, they look to be better finished and should out-perform oem, providing the rest of the ass'y is detailed for smooth, friction free operation. I am sure you will let us know how it goes,,, cheers,,, CAt'
Cat,

Since this bike is not quite on the road yet, I haven't tested the gear/cable too much, other than moving it up and down on the lift, but I really feel that the product should put the OEM to shame. As long as the cables hold up, I don't see any reason why they won't out live the bikes! :)

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I mounted the NOS '05 tank to the '04 yesterday!

20230113_tank.jpg

I had gotten ahead of myself, so I had to remove one of the handlebars to prop the tank up to connect the hoses. Then one of the hoses was so old, and no longer flexible, I had to cut some silicone hose I had to replace it with. At least it's a hose that has no pressure in it.

On to the main fairings now. I'll have to assemble the pockets and grill on them, before I can put them on the bike.

Progress! :hat1:

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was finally able to get the left lower fairing on today. I started it yesterday, but it just didn't want to cooperate! Probably sitting in the box too long. Anyway, it's looking great now!

20230131_LowerLeft side fairing.jpg

And before you mention that the front fender isn't the same color, I'm well aware of that. I have yet to come across an '05 front fender worth buying!

Tomorrow, I'll work at getting the rightside installed.

One of my delays was coming up with enough "clips":

#30 in the list

I was looking all over for them in my parts and at first I came up with about 13 of them (when you start realizing how many you need, you need a bunch!).

After the lower fairing went on, I had about 6 left. So I was just about to order some, when I thought I should check the tail cowls/Tail lights, I have stashed away in a bin. Well, I came up with 12 more from them! So, now I'm good!

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yesterday, I was able to assemble the pocket and grill on the right side lower fairing and get it installed. Again, things didn't line up at first, but with a little gentle persuasion, I was able to get the fasteners all lined up and in! :thumb:

20230201_LowerRightside fairing.jpg

Today, I'll start on the saddlebags.

It's getting closer to being on the road! :hat1:

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was able to get the locks into the saddlebag handle/locks, but I need to clean them up first, before I put them all together.

I did ride it around the block today. Seems to be running just fine!

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I was able to get the locks into the saddlebag handle/locks, but I need to clean them up first, before I put them all together.

I did ride it around the block today. Seems to be running just fine!
This was always the highlight of a restoration for me. Everything done, running, just a few details that can wait 'til later. Except for my last.
1978 GL1000 I had almost finished up, except for rear shocks. My new pair arrived and I rolled the bike out into the sunshine to install them. Off with the rustycrusty units and I unpacked the new ones. I hung each from the frame attach points a bit loose, stood behind the bike and lifted the rear wheel with my left arm while aiming the lower yoke of the rightmost shock at the matching lug on the swing arm. And....she rolled forward off the center stand. All I had time to do was grab the tail light as it rolled forward. Forward motion stopped when the bike dropped onto the rear tire. I realized some universal force (dumb luck) was providing some balance and the bike remained upright. I very slowly stood up and grasped the rear grab rail, still upright, then with my left hand did the same. I crept forward and was eventually able to straddle the seat and securely balance the bike. Off to the left, grab the grab rail, press down on the center stand heel and lift......halfway up was all I could manage. Couldn't extend the side stand since the bike was too low. Back on the seat and waited for help. It's now about 2pm. Really getting bored by 3pm. Not a single vehicle passed to flag for help. By 4pm, I fully understood what Horton was feeling while sitting on Maiziebird's egg. Finally, just before I considered laying it down in the drive, risking the fresh paint and new chrome bits, my nearest neighbor got home. Waved him over and the two of us were able to life the bike onto the center stand. He stood by while I successfully lifted the rear wheel and attached the first shock...second was a breeze.
I could have done this in the garage with my jack instead of on the inclined drive in just a few minutes. There were also several ways this could have been worse.

I'm happy yours turned out so well. Good job.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
@SupraSabre those 5mm clips are a pain in the anatomy.
The Blackbird fairings used the same ones, as did my 05 KTM 950. They slip and slide and move out of the path of the securing bolts, and they strip like pimiento cheese or Hunter's last hired friend.
It's an imperfect world we live in, but your restoration is looking really, really nice.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks guys! I'd almost say it's just the labor of love, putting it back together after all of these years, but it's turning into once I get something done, I never want to see it undone again! :well1:

I could have done this in the garage with my jack instead of on the inclined drive in just a few minutes. There were also several ways this could have been worse.

I'm happy yours turned out so well. Good job.
Oh, I've been there! 20210418_RampTipOver.jpg

I had to get my neighbor to help me lift this one!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Update:

I grabbed the '03 left muffler that I bought ages ago, and drilled two holes in it and inserted some threaded rivets in it to hold a heat shield. For those that didn't know/care, the '03 (probably including the '02 in Europe) did not have heat shields near were the rear caliper sits. But I didn't want to use the '03 muffler until it had one. I was thinking of putting these new mufflers on the '04, but I think I'll just clean up the '04s and then put these others (which are NOS) on the 2012, so maybe it won't get get so hot, due to the extra cat stuff in it.

I'll be cleaning the '04 mufflers today.

20230207_LeftMufflerCleaned.jpg

I had bought a complete, used lock set on ebay, but it only one key, that was a copy. So yesterday, I stopped off at ACE Hardware with the key and a "Honda" blank that I had to have them make another key for me. I was surprised when they were done that they didn't charge me to cut it. :thumb:

Today, I mounted a brand new V-Stream windshield:

20230209_windshield.jpg

I still haven't got to the saddlebags yet. I'll get there.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Wow, watching you do this since March 2018. About the same month that I bought my first ST1300.
I am taking all this recent progress as a sign that you’re settled nice and comfortable in your home.
Good times.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow, watching you do this since March 2018. About the same month that I bought my first ST1300.
I am taking all this recent progress as a sign that you’re settled nice and comfortable in your home.
Good times.
Yes sir! It took awhile to get the garage situated so I can work in it. And with a heater installed, makes the temp out there bearable!

Now, I just have to decide what to do with a third ST1300! At least when I was commuting, I could put them all to good use, but since I'm really not using them that much, they are sitting around too much. Especially in this cold weather! :(

Top Bottom