2011 GSX1250FA-ST Upgrades

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
(From Sept 20)

I've got ~42k on the FA now, and I've saved up some money, so I'm about to give it some love in the form of some upgrades.

Going over to Dale Walker's Holeshot Performance, which happily is only about 25 miles from me, early next week to discuss and order all the parts.

Planned upgrades are as follows:

Front suspension - I'll be pulling the forks and sending them off to Cogent Dynamics for a rebuild to include new Cogent springs, Racetech valves, etc. to Dale's specs. Also adding a Holeshot fork brace.

Rear suspension: Putting on a new Holeshot/Cogent Dynamics custom shock designed by Dale for the 1250 Bandit.

Tuning upgrades: Holeshot Stage 1 tune, which includes: Minor air box mod, K&N Air Filter, Holeshot EFI Supertune Pro Tuning Box, O2 Bypass plug, Holeshot touring slip-on (black). Depending on how loud it is, I might also put in the baffle.

New chain and sprockets.

The suspension mods should make it corner like it's on rails. The tuning upgrades will give me about 12 additional horsepower and 10 additional FP of torque, according to dyno run histories on other Bandits. The new muffler will reduce the weight by 9 pounds or so.

Dale will be helping me set up the suspension and will be giving me advice on the other stuff.

It's really nice to have one of the world's most highly regarded Bandit racers/tuners living close by.
:great:

Hopefully I'll get it done in time for a ride or two before the surgery knocks me out of riding for 6-9 months.

OP
OP
Don-STOC237

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Project Update: I've got all the parts together waiting installation. I've pulled the forks and they have been sent off to Cogent Dynamics for rebuild using Cogent Dynamics springs, RaceTech gold valves. My custom rear shock is in process of being built at Cogent Dynamics. Getting the suspension components back will take a few weeks, so I may not have the bike together before surgery. Meanwhile, before surgery I'll be installing the engine components, the new chain and sprockets, and the new pipe.

Modify message

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
If he has'nt discussed removing the secondary butterflies you should, there is a lot more potential in that motor without touching the internals.

OP
OP
Don-STOC237

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Ya, that's the stage 2 tune. Consists of the Stage1, which I'm doing, and the butterfly removal, taking off most of the airbox lid, and punching new numbers into the tuning box. It will boost the HP by another 12 or so and the torque another 10 pounds or so. But right now I'm gonna just do the stage 1 and see how it goes, as I'm not sure I want to do 3rd gear wheelies that badly. :biggrin: And this way I don't need to take off the TB's. One step at a time.

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
Ya, that's the stage 2 tune. Consists of the Stage1, which I'm doing, and the butterfly removal, taking off most of the airbox lid, and punching new numbers into the tuning box. It will boost the HP by another 12 or so and the torque another 10 pounds or so. But right now I'm gonna just do the stage 1 and see how it goes, as I'm not sure I want to do 3rd gear wheelies that badly. :biggrin: And this way I don't need to take off the TB's. One step at a time.
The 1250 is in my top 3 for a next bike, 2nd bike. Your probably correct in your decision of mods, this is a mean bike stock ! I'm certain you will be satisfied with those mods, May be joining you soon. Dale helped me with some improvements on my V Max years ago, great guy to do business with.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Is your bike really not tied down to the lift (I see the strap in the back holding the rear wheel down) on both sides?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Is your bike really not tied down to the lift (I see the strap in the back holding the rear wheel down) on both sides?
It's on the centre stand- no different than being on the centre stand on the floor.

OP
OP
Don-STOC237

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
There is a ratchet strap that goes over the rear carrier and connects to the lift on both sides of the bike. Also the center stand, and a bottle jack under the engine, as well as the rear wheel. It's pretty solid.

Bike
2010 ST1300
It's on the centre stand- no different than being on the centre stand on the floor.
Well, maybe. My garage floor does not give (it happens to be 6" of concrete). My HF lift dented the first time I used it with my ST, and it wobbled so much at altitude that I made 4 support legs out of doubled 2x's. I raise the lift, insert the supports (and locking bar) and lower the lift an inch onto the wood. I still feel more comfortable with the bike tied/clamped to the lift table, even on the center stand. I now have a 2'x 4' piece of 1/4" steel plate on my lift centered under the bike and several holes for tie down eye bolts. I would hate to slip, reach out and grab the bike and pull it over on me. That might hurt. But then again, a GSX doesn't tip the scales like an ST.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I always liked the looks of the GSX 1250 FA, currently looking for a lighter alternative bike that can sport tour for longer days..... the old Bandits didn't suit me ergonomically, now I gotta go look at one of these! Or a Yamaha FZ1 or a Tracer GT or a...... so far loving my little Honda CBF1000 (was never sold in the US), tweaking the ergos to suit.

OP
OP
Don-STOC237

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Project update: I installed all the Stage 1 tuner mods. This included installing the tuning module and running the wires to the injectors, plugging all the leads into the injector wiring, installing the O2 bypass module, and plugging the PAIR line. Also cutting a hole in the airbox cover, installing the K&N filter, and installing the new connector pipe and muffler. I started it up and in sounds fabulous, It does need a TB sync as the idle is a bit uneven. On the video, ignore the rattling of tools on my steel decked lift. :)

OP
OP
Don-STOC237

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Project Update: I've received all the remaining parts for the bike makeover, including my rebuilt forks w/Racetech valves and Cogent springs, the Holeshot/Cogent rear shock, Holeshot Performance fork brace, Autolite Extreme Sport Iridium plugs, Galfer Steel braided hydraulic lines, Ferodo brake pads, new sprockets and chain, and, to make sure the road is clear, a Stebel Nautilus air horn.

Now all I have to do is get out of this darned sling so I can start the rebuilding.

OP
OP
Don-STOC237

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Project Update: Since my shoulder recovered enough, and the garage temperature got high enough to start working on the upgrades again, I've got most of it done. I've added to the list as I've gone along, and have completed the following in addition to the ones I did last fall.

Removed all old wiring and components for my old Starcom system, and my old Streetpilot 2730.
Installed new iridium spark plugs.
Installed new up front connector blocks for hot and ground, and rewired all front farkles into those. Now I've only got 1 fat power and 1 fat ground going to the back of bike.
Changed all hydraulic lines to Galfer steel braided lines
Installed Stebel Nautilus air horn (boy is that loud!)
Installed newly rebuilt front forks containing Cogent springs and Racetech valves. Forks were rebuilt by Cogent.
Installed new Holeshot Performance fork brace.
Disassembled all brake calipers, cleaned them, reinstalled with new Feroni brake pads.
Installed Fender extender.
Installed new R&G frame sliders.
Installed new custom Cogent/Holeshot rear shock.
Installed new centerstand bumper (required because of Holeshot pipe install that removed stock bumper.
Installed new drive and rear sprockets.
Cut and installed new drive chain.
Got new rear tire, got it mounted and re-installed rear wheel.
Installed new wiring and mount for the new Zumo 595.

So lots of hours into it, and not much to go.
I'm waiting on delivery of a set of Speedbleeders, probably Tuesday. I figured as long as I was doing a total bike makeover I might as well make refilling the new brake lines easy on myself.
When I get those, I'll fill the hydraulic lines, re-install the pipe, throw on the tank and seat, and go for a short test ride, then come home and put on the plastic, give it a wash, and go for a real ride.
Hopefully I'll be riding by Wednesday!

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Well, maybe. My garage floor does not give (it happens to be 6" of concrete). My HF lift dented the first time I used it with my ST, and it wobbled so much at altitude that I made 4 support legs out of doubled 2x's. I raise the lift, insert the supports (and locking bar) and lower the lift an inch onto the wood. I still feel more comfortable with the bike tied/clamped to the lift table, even on the center stand. I now have a 2'x 4' piece of 1/4" steel plate on my lift centered under the bike and several holes for tie down eye bolts. I would hate to slip, reach out and grab the bike and pull it over on me. That might hurt. But then again, a GSX doesn't tip the scales like an ST.
You mean like this. I also have a steel plate on mine.

Attachments

Top Bottom