OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah, some bikes just speak to ya more than others. I really wanted to like the NC more but it just didn't work for me, it's a great bike and I know Bug Dr. and DD both like theirs a lot and that's all that matters.

I'm a long way from suspension upgrades at the moment. Trying to fit a few left over stuff from the Tenere experience... then I need to get some luggage and other misc goodies. Hey, if I can't ride I can farkle.. I think that's a country song.

Bike
04 ST1300
Congrats Joe! I tried looking today myself. I can't make up my mind what I want. I have rode your bikes big brother. Could be possible. The 650 is too small for me. I like the one u just sold also.
Looks like the 650 is not designed with those of excessive legs in mind, have you tried the bigger wee?

Bike
2006 ST1300
Looks like the 650 is not designed with those of excessive legs in mind, have you tried the bigger wee?
Swap the 650 seat with a 1000 owner who has short legs. The 650 seat is lower, the 1000 thicker and more comfortable. Aftermarket seats can be even taller, especially a Russell.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Good choice, Joe. I love the color, and it's a well proven design. Here's hoping alot of fun miles on ya'.

Actually, been looking at them since I sold the Tenere but needed to pay off the car first and that should be done with the next/last payment and they had 5yr/0% financing on this so that payment is a heck of a lot smaller. In the end it feels like a great bike. I came back home on freeway and I didn't at all feel like it was underpowered. It has some buffetting and wind noise but I'm looking at what shield to get and the madstad bracket seems to be what everyone suggests on this bike and maybe the adventure shield they sell but I'm still reading up on all that. I think this will be a great bike for the summer as I froze at 44 degrees on my way home.

Bike
99 ST1100
Trying to fit a few left over stuff from the Tenere experience...
Congrats, Joe!

In your spare time - which you somehow seem to have - give us a comparo on the Wee versus your Tenere experience.

Did you consider the Tiger 800? I've not ridden the Wee but I liked the Tiger a lot when I test rode it...

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Congrats, Joe!

In your spare time - which you somehow seem to have - give us a comparo on the Wee versus your Tenere experience.

Did you consider the Tiger 800? I've not ridden the Wee but I liked the Tiger a lot when I test rode it...
LOL.. spare time, well I'm trying...

I actually liked the Tiger 800 roadie more and you have some avail spoked wheels - I think - if you wanted them on the bike. But, the price is too high around here. For 1/2 the difference in price I can outfit the Vstrom nicely.

I haven't had much time on the 650 yet so hard to do a good comparison. It does feel smoother, as far as the engine, than the Yamaha, which is surprising to me. The ergos seem a little tighter but I had an aftermarket seat and risers on the Tenere so time will tell. The seat seems okay but again, need more time and miles to know for sure.

The Tenere carries it's weight lower and maybe the geometry of the bikes is different enough... when you would zig zag the Tenere, you felt the bottom of the bike's weight moving around, on the Vstrom you feel the whole bike move around... I'm no bike expert so I don't know how to say what that in the correct technical terms.. it's not bad, just different. The bike is quite light and nimble IMO and I can't wait to get it on some really fun roads. The chain/sprocket maintenance is a new thing to me but I've heard enough good things and other than just being something you need to do at the end of the day it's not that bad.

Power: I don't think there is a problem. It has more than enough for quick passing and it seems to deliver that power smoothly.
Suspension: Seems a bit harsh but I haven't had the chance to play with any of the settings, I'm still just jumping on it and riding it when I can but I'll get to those when the new wears off.
Controls: The handlebars are not as wide as the Tenere - or don't seem like they are - but feel like they are in a good location, don't know if I'll need risers and will wait 'til I see what seat I end up with first. The dash is fairly easy to read but there are some very small text that's almost impossible for me to read for Trip 1/Trip 2 but you actual numbers are fine. This bike has a left-hand switch where lots of European bikes have a passing switch - that switch will toggle through the display and if you hold it, will also toggle through some info like time/temp. I wish I could see time AND temp but it's not hard to just hold that switch and see it toggle. There is a passing switch which is the hi/lo beam switch.. only on the lo side, you just keep pushing it and it flashes with each push. I never needed a flash to pass switch so I don't care so much about that.

Fit and finish seem at least as good as Honda. One grip I have is on Vstroms suzuki doesn't use relays for headlights so I may do what many others do and get the H4 headlight harness from eastern beaver to take the load off the system and other switches.

There is a Parking setting on the ignition.. lock the bars, then turn the key past the lock setting to the P setting and the front position lights come on along w/tail light. You can also use hazards in this setting, yes it has hazard lights - the Tenere did not.

That's about all I can do for now...

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Let me clear this up for Treemuncher and Dinkie. :D I have rode the DL1000. That is the bigger wee. I thought it was a very smooth bike. But I also rode a Super Tenere and liked it a whole lot more. I'm not a little person. And I just don't think I would be happy with a 650.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Don't fret the chain maintenance or obsess over it. "just being something you need to do at the end of the day" No need for that unless you are doing long travel days. The first time I cleaned and lubed my chain I figured out chain cleaning was not for me.

I found Bel Ray Super Clean lube and haven't cleaned the chain since, almost 18,000 miles. Chain an sprockets still look very good. I was also concerned about adjusting it. Now I dare to say only at tire changes. I lube every 500 or so miles, that is a guestimate and probably low. The chains are internally lubed and sealed. From what I hear on other forums people who do zero chain maintenance still get 20,000+ miles. The Bel Ray lube doesn't sling, however some don't like the look of the white chain.

I'm 6'1" 250 and have ridden the DL650, DL1000 and the Tenere. If I was buying I would go with the 650 then Tenere then 1000. The DL1000 is the only one that didn't make me go wee, so to speak. It felt heavy, rough, awkward and too high strung for my liking. Just wasn't for me.

Bike
04 ST1300
I'm 6'1" 250 and have ridden the DL650, DL1000 and the Tenere. If I was buying I would go with the 650 then Tenere then 1000. The DL1000 is the only one that didn't make me go wee, so to speak. It felt heavy, rough, awkward and too high strung for my liking. Just wasn't for me.
Pray tell sir, i can't seem to reconcile the geometries. My assumption are that the S10, Dl1000 and Vs650= short-shorter-shortest. For a 6 footer all things being equal,bike preference in relation to height should have be in that order, pardon my assumption.
I am 6.6 and intend to buy a dirtier bike than the ST, when i hit pay dirt.
I dont have the privilege to test ride these bikes b/4 purchase, so i have to make a remote decision, hence my curiosity.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Joe, did Suzi keep the headlight 'flip to pass' switch on the redesigned WeeStrom? I liked that on my former DL1000.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Pray tell sir, i can't seem to reconcile the geometries. My assumption are that the S10, Dl1000 and Vs650= short-shorter-shortest. For a 6 footer all things being equal,bike preference in relation to height should have be in that order, pardon my assumption.
I am 6.6 and intend to buy a dirtier bike than the ST, when i hit pay dirt.
I dont have the privilege to test ride these bikes b/4 purchase, so i have to make a remote decision, hence my curiosity.
Longerone, have you seen this site? http://cycle-ergo.com/

I just remember the 650 fit me good and was fun to ride. My legs are short for my height.

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
Congrats on the new ride Joe. I have to get a test ride on one of these. I'm still on the fence about taking the ST with me when we move.

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
Good for you, I do like mine. I purchased it used, and it came well farkled with Givi E360 cases on the sides and back, crash bars, taller windshield, Madstad, hand guards, the switch that turns off one light, a couple power sockets, power distribution block, Sergeant seat, alarm, tank bra, mirror extenders and a couple of other minor doo dads. But ... the biggie was the Scottoiler with the touring reservoir.

I've added a couple of things, like a small dash, switch plate near the key, heated grips and radiator and oil cooler protection.

My only complaint is the suspension. I'm @ 240lbs right now and the rear shock can't handle it. I need a new spring at a minimum; I'd like to get the whole shock redone by Race Tech.

My mileage around town is ~42, on the highway @ 70mph or lower it can get up close to 50.

I recently went to the dark side on the Wee .. It's working for me (although I'm pretty sure the CT caused a high side that would have otherwise been a low side).

Have fun!

STOC #
Yeah but I don't like the traxx bags, the ones I bought for the super tenere were not very good quality. I think some pelican/storm cases would be better.
Hi Joe, Congrats ! I got a 2012 Wee adventure and did not like the Traxx bags either.. Sold them on the Vstrom list and bought Caribou bags and never looked back. I like their industrial look and crashworthness.. Just came back from a 4000 mile walkabout through the South. Absolutly no problems as a touring bike. The stock MRA gizmo on the windscreen gave me a quiet pocket of air with no buffett.. I got the fork brace as I had problems with Truck wash and windy days... Stock seat sucks and tried a custom Sargent but no joy in mud ville..It looked great though.. Rick Mayer did my seat and im in ride all day heaven.. With the bags, top case dri bag on the seat and my 175# butt, I get about 225 miles per tank. Clean I get about 250 to260 per tank... I'll take it. .
My friends Triumph Explorer gets about 200 miles per tank doing about 70 mph so I always have a reserve as he has to stop first..

I also put on a Turturo automatic chain oiler. It's totally mechanical.. Review to follow.. Coming off three ST's I sometimes forget to oil the chain at the end of the day so I hope this helps with the chain maintenance..

We are heading to WESTOC in Vancouver and then Prudhoe bay this June so this will be the test... Then shoot down to Key west and do a Coast to coast the hard way... My retirement adventure.. !!!
As John O says... Six saturdays and one Sunday...
Oh btw I got the 0 down 0% interest for 5 years also... Can't pass up free money... Calling her Sukoshi "wee bit" in the mother tongue...
mitch stoc 1384

Attachments

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hi Joe, Congrats ! I got a 2012 Wee adventure and did not like the Traxx bags either.. Sold them on the Vstrom list and bought Caribou bags and never looked back. I like their industrial look and crashworthness.. Just came back from a 4000 mile walkabout through the South. Absolutly no problems as a touring bike. The stock MRA gizmo on the windscreen gave me a quiet pocket of air with no buffett.. I got the fork brace as I had problems with Truck wash and windy days... Stock seat sucks and tried a custom Sargent but no joy in mud ville..It looked great though.. Rick Mayer did my seat and im in ride all day heaven.. With the bags, top case dri bag on the seat and my 175# butt, I get about 225 miles per tank. Clean I get about 250 to260 per tank... I'll take it. .
My friends Triumph Explorer gets about 200 miles per tank doing about 70 mph so I always have a reserve as he has to stop first..

I also put on a Turturo automatic chain oiler. It's totally mechanical.. Review to follow.. Coming off three ST's I sometimes forget to oil the chain at the end of the day so I hope this helps with the chain maintenance..

We are heading to WESTOC in Vancouver and then Prudhoe bay this June so this will be the test... Then shoot down to Key west and do a Coast to coast the hard way... My retirement adventure.. !!!
As John O says... Six saturdays and one Sunday...
Oh btw I got the 0 down 0% interest for 5 years also... Can't pass up free money... Calling her Sukoshi "wee bit" in the mother tongue...
mitch stoc 1384
Is that the Bill Mayer seat? Looks nice. I'm going to give the stocker a try. I have the Pelican aka Carribou luggage just need to install a couple things and it will be on. BTW, walmart sells some lunch by Arctic Zone that are great for packing in the Carribou. You can get 5 across the bottom on end. The top shown in the picture is tapered but it opens up and there's a zipper around it to make a rectangle compartment.

0006128208571_300X300.jpg

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Is that the Bill Mayer seat? Looks nice. I'm going to give the stocker a try. I have the Pelican aka Carribou luggage just need to install a couple things and it will be on. BTW, walmart sells some lunch by Arctic Zone that are great for packing in the Carribou. You can get 5 across the bottom on end. The top shown in the picture is tapered but it opens up and there's a zipper around it to make a rectangle compartment.

0006128208571_300X300.jpg

Joe,

Rick Mayer (Rick) and Bill Mayer (Rocky) are two Different companies. Both are brothers with not so good feelings towards each other. Long story. Both started from One, The Dad. Bill Mayer. Rocky inherited the business, Bill Mayer seats, and Rick set out as the competition. I run Rick Mayer seats on my ST and my Wee. I am looking into a Rick Mayer seat for the DR and the NT ( someday)

Last edited:
Top Bottom