OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Rick Mayer (Rick) and Bill Mayer (Rocky) are two Different companies. Both are brothers with not so good feelings towards each other. Long story. Both started from One, The Dad. Bill Mayer. Rocky inherited the business, Bill Mayer seats, and Rick set out as the competition. I run Rick Mayer seats on my ST and my Wee. I am looking into a Rick Mayer seat for the DR and the NT ( someday)
Ya.. I knew all that already.. got the BM on the Tenere and it was 'okay'... the Sargent I tried I don't think was as good but I got rid of the bike before I could run it through it's paces. I don't like the wings on seats, never have. I understand the reasoning but I just don't like them. I think both offer non-wing versions of their seats. The Sargent on my ST is perfect for me. I'm giving the stocker a try and forcing myself to like it.. yeah, we'll see how long that lasts... LOL!

I'm giving the stocker a try and forcing myself to like it.. yeah, we'll see how long that lasts...
joe...just a thought...perhaps the suz "gel-seat" that they make as option for the stocker seat might be an option for you to consider...i found the stocker not to my liking...but, dealer had the suz gel-seat option also & i found it to be satisfactory(to me...):):03biker:

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
joe...just a thought...perhaps the suz "gel-seat" that they make as option for the stocker seat might be an option for you to consider...i found the stocker not to my liking...but, dealer had the suz gel-seat option also & i found it to be satisfactory(to me...):):03biker:
Thanks, definitely an option as long as it's not too $$$..

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
Joe,
Congratulations on the new bike.
Mine is an '06 that I bought used ~2years ago.
PO had done the front forks via Racetech, added heated grips, Givi E45 bags, Center stand, and an engine guard.
I added a skid plate, MadStad bracket, and wiring for my heated gear. Oh, and a Stebel horn.
Like others have said, I like that it's so light, and the engine's bulletproof.

Mine: Bikes!

Last edited:
Thanks, definitely an option as long as it's not too $$$..
when i got my 2006(in 2011)...the dealer made an "offer i could not refuse"...for $100 they got me the gel seat & i could even keep the stocker foamy one(the stocker is still in the seat box after the gel seat went on)...perhaps you could do an exchange with dealer for $0...or minimal $?:):03biker:

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
when i got my 2006(in 2011)...the dealer made an "offer i could not refuse"...for $100 they got me the gel seat & i could even keep the stocker foamy one(the stocker is still in the seat box after the gel seat went on)...perhaps you could do an exchange with dealer for $0...or minimal $?:):03biker:
ah.. not sure there's a gel seat option for the 2012 yet.. I know there's a higher seat...

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah, that link is invalid, shouldn't say 2012.. just found the part number for the 2012 (990A0-62000) which is about $205 so not bad as an option.. thanks for getting me thinking this direction.
tech-dude that you are, joe,...you probably have already checked out what these guys are posting about the suzuki factory accessory gel seat option that has recently become available...about 1/2 down link discussions shows a series of pics of stocker & gel seat comparisons...i have found the gel seat good for the day on trips with little discomfort...pretty good pricing for seat...if it works for you...guys at this link seem to find the gel seat to be quality item(i have on the 06 model i ride)!

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/83954-suzuki-gel-seat-3.html

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
tech-dude that you are, joe,...you probably have already checked out what these guys are posting about the suzuki factory accessory gel seat option that has recently become available...about 1/2 down link discussions shows a series of pics of stocker & gel seat comparisons...i have found the gel seat good for the day on trips with little discomfort...pretty good pricing for seat...if it works for you...guys at this link seem to find the gel seat to be quality item(i have on the 06 model i ride)!

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/83954-suzuki-gel-seat-3.html
I saw that.. that's where I found the part number. Looks like it's pretty new still so we'll see how the reviews go on them, based on yours it seems like a nice option. Thanks again.

STOC #
Is that the Bill Mayer seat?

Nope, A custom sargent seat.. I rode up to jacksonville and they did the ride in thing.. They screwed up and did not put the red piping on it the way I asked and cut me a break...$250!!!! Too bad. It looks GREAT but got butt burn after 225 miles....I even took a #25 dumbell and put it on the seat when I was not riding the bike and it just would not break in... Here is a pic of them making the seat...
Sold it to a VStrom guru and he only had it for a few months and got a Russell..
Looks good, feels bad.... reminds me of a bad joke........ errr anyway the Rick Mayer works for me...

Neat stuff on the Walmart bags. I got two extra long army tool bags that fit just right in the Caribou boxes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029PHP2/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $16 each...
Thoes walmart bag will fit on top perfectly!!

mitch stoc 1384

Attachments

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I see an extra set of tires. Are those for the Wee? What kind are they? I am running Shinko 705s on mine. handle well. Still working on the longevity.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I see an extra set of tires. Are those for the Wee? What kind are they? I am running Shinko 705s on mine. handle well. Still working on the longevity.
Those were left over from the Tenere - same sized front and rear as Vstroms so that's cool... I have an almost new Anakee2 rear with an internal plug and a new BS Battlewing front.

STOC #
That looks so much better. I think you will find those rocky trails easier to negotiate. And expect that bash plate to get bashed!

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
at the V-strom forums , the guys were complaining that the gel seat gets very hot in very short time during summer. Never had one (gel seat ) but had no problem with the stock on my 06 as long as I had it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
What is the average amount spent aftermarket to make a Wee liveable?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
What is the average amount spent aftermarket to make a Wee liveable?
The wing is the only bike I've ever had that I could ride off the showroom floor and do a 1000 miles comfortably... all other bike have needed a shield, seat or risers or some combination of those.

STOC #
And expect that bash plate to get bashed!
Spleaking of bash plate, what kind is it?? And where the heck is the STOC sticker??????

The new seat changed my riding position.. I got some 1" risers and it fixed everything...

Don't forget you don't have that many amps to play with on the Wee so you have to be creative... I'm going to get a relay for one headlite which will buy me some watts..

mitch

Last edited:
Top Bottom