2012 V-Strom 650 Test Ride

Joe,

Rick Mayer (Rick) and Bill Mayer (Rocky) are two Different companies. Both are brothers with not so good feelings towards each other. Long story. Both started from One, The Dad. Bill Mayer. Rocky inherited the business, Bill Mayer seats, and Rick set out as the competition. I run Rick Mayer seats on my ST and my Wee. I am looking into a Rick Mayer seat for the DR and the NT ( someday)
I have a Rick Mayer seat on my Pacific Coast. It has really helped my rear end last on longer rides.

Attachments

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Those are the limited edition Tom Cruise bags. The camera makes them look bigger than they really are.
I could be wrong but this sounds like a short joke. Far be it from Darrin Doolin to make a short joke. :crackup

Joe's a "farkle'in fool". Whowee stand back folks. Joe you load those bags with some of that BBQ?

Joe took the bones from his ribs home. He said something about evidence???

I learned a lot of secrets about the mods, talking to Joe. A few more secrets about a couple of members here. Booger, how is it that I live next to you but Joe knows so much more about you? I can't wait to tell these stories around the campfire.

Bike
2010 BMW Adv.
It's overloaded alright, Joe used #2 welding cable for the primary leads from the battery. When he started it and switched on all the accoutrements my pocket knife flew out of my pocket and stuck to his bike. He's having the stator rewound in Germany for 5-phase output. Feeding that into a rectifier bridge and is hoping for somewhere around 1700 watts@12v. output. :rofl1:
He's gonna need a flux capacitor to handle that kind of power!!!

Bike
2010 ST
I'm a big fan of ABS. The Wee is still a street bike mainly and that's where mine will be most of the time so ABS is what I wanted.
My 07 is not ABS, and that's one mistake I wish I could have a redo on. I wouldn't consider getting one without ABS, unless you are a fan of skidding sideways like something from Smokey and the Bandit when you're caught between a sudden red light and cross traffic. If you plan on mostly offroading, there are better choices out there. The V-strom is engineered to be 80/20 road, and that's pushing it in my opinion.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
All this talk of Wee riding and test rides, reminded me I haven't been on my Wee since middle of Jan. So I spent a couple of hundred miles of quality time with her yesterday. Here are the pics to prove it.

Bike
2006 ST1300
OK, this thread pushed me over the edge. Bought an 04 Wee and love it. I think the ST and the Wee make for a near perfect combo. Throw in a dedicated dirt bike and pretty much all bases are covered.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
OK, this thread pushed me over the edge. Bought an 04 Wee and love it. I think the ST and the Wee make for a near perfect combo. Throw in a dedicated dirt bike and pretty much all bases are covered.
I know Chuck would agree LOL.. congrats!

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
Find a good XR650R and you might be in heaven. Certainly in the fast lane at the very least! Tons of torque and a blast to ride.

RP3

Bike
2001 ST 1100
STOC #
Joe, that's a sweet looking bike and the cases are mucho mas bueno than the stockers:).
How wide is it across the outside of the cases? Do you have a pic from the rear?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Joe, that's a sweet looking bike and the cases are mucho mas bueno than the stockers:).
How wide is it across the outside of the cases? Do you have a pic from the rear?
Thanks, I decided to switch to Jesse bags instead, I just like them better. The Pelican cases were 36-37 inches across and the Jesse bags are 38. I've ridden pretty aggressive with the little bike and have yet to touch a peg or bag so I don't see it as a big deal.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Yep a DR650 or a DRZ400 would be great. Here are a couple of pictures from this mornings DR ride. see my spot also. Could have done this with the Wee but it would have been a handful. Pictures are of the easy places. Had no time to take pictures when I was on the 4x4 trail. Next week I am going to get my son-in-laws DRZ and go ride it again.

Congratulations on you Wee.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
Yep a DR650 or a DRZ400 would be great. Here are a couple of pictures from this mornings DR ride. see my spot also. Could have done this with the Wee but it would have been a handful. Pictures are of the easy places. Had no time to take pictures when I was on the 4x4 trail. Next week I am going to get my son-in-laws DRZ and go ride it again.

Congratulations on you Wee.
I just bought an 89 Transalp and I'm rehabbing an 84 XL350r. Those two will give me some decent dirt options. Oh and I upgrades my 04 Vstrom 650 to a 2012 w/ ABS.

Top Bottom