2012 V-Strom 650 Test Ride

Bike
Vstrom 650
I test rode the new vstrom and while it's no doubt a fantastic little bike,I couldn't justify the new price of it. I bought a 01 vfr800 fi instead but I am looking at adding an 02 DRZ400 for forest roads etc.
So for around the price of a new DL650, I have a well sorted ST1100, a VFR and ,maybe the DRZ400 if I can get her for the right price.
That Vstrom of Joes looks pure class though,maybe I will pick one up second hand in a few years.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Just wanted to post a follow-up.

Just got back from The Big Ride III and I have to say the little Wee did an excellent job.

I had just got my Rick Mayer seat in after NatSTOC so this was my break-in period. I still got a little sore just because my bikes tend to sit around for weeks then I get on them and do several 500-800 mile back-to-back days. However, I was more comfortable on this 10 day trip than I was on any day of the 6 day NatSTOC trip which consisted of less miles. So, the seat is a winner for sure.

There were a few times where the power of the GS would cause it to pull away on some high-speed sweepers/runs but those were really exceptions and most of the riding we did were at speeds quite comfortable for the Wee. The ST1300 is faster than the GS so it's probably a similar issue in that case.

The Wee is still not a light bike but when you're used to an ST it sure seems light. It was nice to park pretty much anywhere and still be able to maneuver the bike out of gravel, dirt, odd-parking lots and not struggle with the weight of the bike so much.

I never felt like I had no wind protection but I know there isn't as much as the ST. It just never seems to be an issue.

This last trip was my full test of the bike as a touring bike FOR ME. I didn't get the bike to take it off road but it's nice to know if you get caught in a situation where a dirt road is your only option, or a preferred option, the bike will handle it without much of an issue. The Super Tenere actually handles the dirt roads better in my opinion, due to it's softer suspension and setup. The Wee is a bit jarring and rough on dirt roads but I'm told that's more like how a dirt bike handles, speed smooths things out. Well, still a new bike and I wasn't going to take chances so I just took it easy on the dirt sections we did.

When I did a similar test-trip on the Super Tenere I was also impressed by it's application as a sport touring bike. However, the Wee adds a little to that equation, it's cheaper to own, cheaper to maintain and cheaper on gas (assuming you aren't always hitting the high-speed interstates), lighter and also the aftermarket items work better for MY application. So for me, the DL650A is a winner and something many here have already known for years.

STOC #
So for me, the DL650A is a winner and something many here have already known for years.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I just got back from Alaska (ultamate coast to coast) and the wee did real good. The crappy roads took it's toll as my directionals went out and took the dash with it. My abs lite now is on. I believe it's a short in the main harness but the bike never let me down. 14,000 miles in 40 days.. Hand signals and standard brakes I can live with on the trip.
I got altitude sickness on Pikes Peak, did you?? Headache and upset stomach... uffda..

Great little all round bike that was half the price of my buddys Triumph Explorer. The cost of the bike allowed me to stay in nice hotels and not make bike payments!!!!! Hate chain maintainance though...
We left our ST's at home for this trip...

mitch

Attachments

Last edited:

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
I just read over the post her about Joe's new bike. My wife has a 2007 and she loves it. I had to lower it for her about 1 inch and also cut off some of the rubber posts under the seat. For her, by doing this her confidence shot up a lot by being able to touch the ground flat foot. SW Mototech crash bars, Oxford heated grips, Suzuki rear trunk, Pelican bags and some Bark Busters for this Christmas should keep her happy for awhile.

Nice bike Joe!

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I love all four of my bikes, but when it comes down to it, the Wee is the most fun to have here in Colorado. The Wee will do 90% of everything the other bikes will do. Can't ask for a better all around machine. Inexpensive to buy, Inexpensive to own, Inexpensive to maintain, Inexpensive to operate. Go any where, (almost anywhere) Year around riding, And the Most Fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I got altitude sickness on Pikes Peak, did you?? Headache and upset stomach... uffda..
No but after living at 500 ft above sea level you could really tell when you were at the top... light-headed and took a while to get used to the thin air but we only stayed at the top about 30 mins.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
Joe,
My daughter and I got one last spring and really enjoy it.

Yea - like your daughter ever lets you ride it!! Glad to see you with a gravel road capable bike, old leader, since you always manage to lead us off the pavement on to some ##/$% gravel road on our ST`s.

Ken

Bike
Vstrom 650
Does anyone know if the 16,000 mile service on the vstrom 650 is a big deal? valve check required?
just seen a 2012 650 (new shape) with around 16k miles,has alot of nice extras, full givi trekker luggage,crash bars with cree running lights,fork brace, etc etc, very tempted.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Does anyone know if the 16,000 mile service on the vstrom 650 is a big deal? valve check required?
just seen a 2012 650 (new shape) with around 16k miles,has alot of nice extras, full givi trekker luggage,crash bars with cree running lights,fork brace, etc etc, very tempted.
I have a 09 model and the valve check intervals are 14500 miles. I check them at 15k. I now have 32k miles on mine and both checks the valve gaps has been right on. The first one is important as it gives you a base line to compare in the future. Not hard just time consuming as the radiator has to be removed to check the front cylinder. Good thing is you get a rad fluid change every 15k. Your choice, you pay your money and take your chances. Great bike. Let us know what you decide to do.

Bike
Vstrom 650
I have a 09 model and the valve check intervals are 14500 miles. I check them at 15k. I now have 32k miles on mine and both checks the valve gaps has been right on. The first one is important as it gives you a base line to compare in the future. Not hard just time consuming as the radiator has to be removed to check the front cylinder. Good thing is you get a rad fluid change every 15k. Your choice, you pay your money and take your chances. Great bike. Let us know what you decide to do.
Thanks for that,I think it would be a great bike to compliment the ST, I'll let you know if I buy it.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Just once, the super ten.
Hi Joe,
Just wondered if you missed the power of the super 10 when you changed to the vstrom 650, I'm used to 100bhp now with the Vfr and the ST1100, just wondering if stepping down to 68bhp will leave me feeling that the bike is a bit underpowered for my weight etc,I'm 235lbs (106kgs) plus then the 220kg approx of the bike plus luggage.
just wondering if I should wait a while and maybe go for a super 10 or the new vstrom 1000 when they start to come on the secondhand market,and any initial problems have been identified with the new model. thanks

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hi Joe,
Just wondered if you missed the power of the super 10 when you changed to the vstrom 650, I'm used to 100bhp now with the Vfr and the ST1100, just wondering if stepping down to 68bhp will leave me feeling that the bike is a bit underpowered for my weight etc,I'm 235lbs (106kgs) plus then the 220kg approx of the bike plus luggage.
just wondering if I should wait a while and maybe go for a super 10 or the new vstrom 1000 when they start to come on the secondhand market,and any initial problems have been identified with the new model. thanks
One time I notice the power it not as up to par compared to the Super Ten or ST1300 is when passing, it does take just a tad longer unless you drop 2 gears and romp on it in which case it will do fine and just something you get used to.

The Main issue is really related more to gas mileage once you start climbing over 70mph.. It really goes downhill from there and more so than the Super Ten or ST1300... so those sustained speeds on the highway and you're better off slowing to 70mph vs even 1 extra gas stop if you are trying to make time - stops are worse than speed when trying to make time.

I'm at 170 lbs right now and I don't pack the bike heavily even when on a long trip but I'm not sure it would make a huge difference... Give the 650 a test ride and see what you think but if power is up there on your list, the Super Ten is a great option and I'd have one again if I could have gotten into it at a similar price as the 650 - but that's not gonna happen LOL... The new ES version looks sweet and I hope that doesn't come to the U.S....

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I'm used to 100bhp now with the Vfr and the ST1100, just wondering if stepping down to 68bhp will leave me feeling that the bike is a bit underpowered
I have a friend with an '08 (I think) Wee-Strom and we swap bikes occasionally when out riding...(he especially likes my VFR).....anyway, the Wee has a lot more torque down low than the VFR and stays with it just fine.....so.....my VFR needs a couple of downshifts to make fast passes....the Wee will do it with less rpms......ride one, they're powerful mcs..........................just my 2 cents......I think if I had the room and the money I'd get one too.....just for the gravel and really rough roads that my ST and VFR aren't very happy on...........................ff

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks Joe and ff, Going to get a good few test rides in before I make up my mind.
I can't speak to the Suzuki in particular but I can to riding a lower powered bike. A few months after buying the ST1300 I picked up a 99 VFR. I really enjoyed riding the VFR but it wasn't that different from the ST. I mean it was fast, smooth, good wind protection, good for long miles, etc. but I wanted a second bike to be a different riding experience so after selling the VFR I picked up an older BMW R100. The R100 was everything the ST wasn't and that was appealing to me. That bike had about half the power, 54 hp, of the ST and was quite different yet fun to ride. I kept it 6 years and 40,000 miles. I sold it and bought a NC700X to replace it. The NC has about 48 hp and I ride it accordingly much like the R100. Overtakes take longer and more planning, a roll-on pass on the ST might need a downshift or two on the NC. Stuff like that. I also have a 80cc scooter. I like riding it and within its limits it is no less fun. They are all fun.

Bike
Vstrom 650
I can't speak to the Suzuki in particular but I can to riding a lower powered bike.
Thanks, I understand what you're saying,I tend to go a lot faster on the Vfr than the ST,I find I can overtake much quicker with the Vfr,whereas I ride alot safer on the ST1100,but the weight is a killer,especially on narrow country roads,where the likes of the v strom would be in her element.
The new v strom 1000 is about the same weight as the 650, it would be great to have that bit of extra power on tap,but the price is ridiculous here,I would hope to pick one up secondhand in a year or two, we'll see now how they perform in the real world, the first new ones should be on the road here shortly, hope to get a test ride on one next week.

Last edited:
Top Bottom