2014 Honda CTX1300

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
On the VTX forum someone from KS mentioned seeing one in a dealership... but I think they were looking at a CTX700. Fairing is very much the same with a different headlight and they might not recognize the ST engine. I heard more likely at the dealers at the end of this month (March).

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
On the CTX1300forum someone found this video of the bike that includes the sound. The typical ST1300 sound seems to be retained. There is a similar bike (ST or another CTX) that fires up midway through but is not the subject in the video (since you can hear it rev but the tach you see doesn't move and then the other bike rides off). Just after that the subject bike is started. The bike is evidently available in Europe now. Not likely available here in the states to look at in person until end of month.

[video=youtube;UbmdKwWkVEQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=UbmdKwWkVEQ[/video]

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sounds like an ST.

Should be interesting to see how those that like that type of bike think of the Goerge Jetson sound!

I think the aftermarket muffler business will do well!

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I wasn't sure if that was the case or if it was just the way it came across on the audio. I rather like it.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Honda did a good job updating the looks. The front is bold looking. Now just imagine all the goodness it has without that annoying whine. :eek::

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Re: CTX1300

We need to see one with a top box and a taller wind screen. Anybody want to photo shop that version? Might be able to live with the foot peg position then.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Here's some pics of the taller screen and the top case and some other accessories that show up on Honda Japan web site
CTX1300 accessories or another site when part number is known from the first web site: japan.webike.net
The price indicated for the screen is under USD $177 today. I used google currency converter for the screen pricing (Yen to USD).
Other prices I didn't convert and it remains to be seen what price Honda US will charge.
screen looks about right for me but will have to see it to tell for sure. Still waiting to sit on one to finalize what I think of this bike.
The web sites were found by others on the CTX1300forum.

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
Honda did a good job updating the looks. The front is bold looking. Now just imagine all the goodness it has without that annoying whine. :eek::
It goes to show, different folks, different strokes.

'Updating the looks' of what, the 'new' ST? The CTX in black on black is ugly beyond belief.
The CTX is a cruiser.....period. Devoid of side clearance and touring comfort. Trust me, this bike will never 'grow' on me.

The STs' turbo whine is the heart of its' character. Let the rants begin.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
unlike some Honda models this one comes in more than just one color, this year at least, including gray/blue metallic.
+1 on the turbo whine. I like it.
But, the CTX is not really a true cruiser, at least not based on the traditional style. It is in between cruiser and tourer and leans a bit closer to tourer. Just like the ST1300 is between a tourer and sport bike leaning a bit closer to sport (I consider the ST1100 to lean a bit closer to tourer than the ST1300 due to the much longer wheelbase). Foot pegs are only maybe a few inches in front of where they are on a GL1500, almost the same actually (one of my previous bikes). I also had a small true cruiser and the CTX does not have forward controls. That would place the foot pegs at or in front of the forward exhaust pipe before it bends toward the rear. Cruisers have the pegs out in front of the grips, CTX pegs are definitely behind the grips, between the grips and the seat center like a GW is (unless you're looking at the CTX700 which IS a small cruiser). The ST pegs are under the seat, and a true sport bike is under the back of the seat and, in some models, is behind the seat. It isn't intended that everyone like it. Not everyone likes the ST. Touring comfort is definitely a personal/individual thing. Side clearance? if you mean width at the pegs, it's about the same as the ST. If you really mean ground clearance that allows for some lean, it is a little lower than the ST1300, which is a lot lower than the ST1100 by comparison.
ST1100= 5.7" clearance
ST1300= 5.3" clearance (almost a half inch less than the ST1100!)
CTX1300= 5.1" clearance so not really devoid (less than a quarter inch different than the ST1300), but just a little less and in keeping with the intended riding style (more touring).
GW/f6b= 4.9" clearance (ever ride with a GW?)
Honda does keep alluding to the CTX being "like" a cruiser or having some of the better features of a tourer and a cruiser and officially classifies it as something new. Kind of like what happened when someone took elements of a tourer and a sport bike, adding luggage and moving the pegs somewhere between where they were for a tourer and a sport bike, and called it a sport touring bike. They do user the term "bagger" but they also call the Gold Wing f6b a bagger and that is a GL1800 with some parts missing. Do you call the Gold Wing a cruiser? Better have a talk with Mark. :)

too bad Honda is the only mc company thinking beyond the status quo and not just spitting out mostly the same old stuff with only minor updates like the others do. I still believe Honda will bring out a new and improved ST. I think they're working on a total redesign now and just don't want to spend on continuing spitting out minor updates to the current model. rumors abound but all seem to point to sometime in the next 1 to 3 years.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
unlike some Honda models this one comes in more than just one color, this year at least, including gray/blue metallic.
+1 on the turbo whine. I like it.
But, the CTX is not really a true cruiser, at least not based on the traditional style. It is in between cruiser and tourer and leans a bit closer to tourer. Just like the ST1300 is between a tourer and sport bike leaning a bit closer to sport (I consider the ST1100 to lean a bit closer to tourer than the ST1300 due to the much longer wheelbase). Foot pegs are only maybe a few inches in front of where they are on a GL1500, almost the same actually (one of my previous bikes). I also had a small true cruiser and the CTX does not have forward controls. That would place the foot pegs at or in front of the forward exhaust pipe before it bends toward the rear. Cruisers have the pegs out in front of the grips, CTX pegs are definitely behind the grips, between the grips and the seat center like a GW is (unless you're looking at the CTX700 which IS a small cruiser). The ST pegs are under the seat, and a true sport bike is under the back of the seat and, in some models, is behind the seat. It isn't intended that everyone like it. Not everyone likes the ST. Touring comfort is definitely a personal/individual thing. Side clearance? if you mean width at the pegs, it's about the same as the ST. If you really mean ground clearance that allows for some lean, it is a little lower than the ST1300, which is a lot lower than the ST1100 by comparison.
ST1100= 5.7" clearance
ST1300= 5.3" clearance (almost a half inch less than the ST1100!)
CTX1300= 5.1" clearance so not really devoid (less than a quarter inch different than the ST1300), but just a little less and in keeping with the intended riding style (more touring).
GW/f6b= 4.9" clearance (ever ride with a GW?)
Honda does keep alluding to the CTX being "like" a cruiser or having some of the better features of a tourer and a cruiser and officially classifies it as something new. Kind of like what happened when someone took elements of a tourer and a sport bike, adding luggage and moving the pegs somewhere between where they were for a tourer and a sport bike, and called it a sport touring bike. They do user the term "bagger" but they also call the Gold Wing f6b a bagger and that is a GL1800 with some parts missing. Do you call the Gold Wing a cruiser? Better have a talk with Mark. :)

too bad Honda is the only mc company thinking beyond the status quo and not just spitting out mostly the same old stuff with only minor updates like the others do. I still believe Honda will bring out a new and improved ST. I think they're working on a total redesign now and just don't want to spend on continuing spitting out minor updates to the current model. rumors abound but all seem to point to sometime in the next 1 to 3 years.
Totally agree with all of this, I like the CTX1300 from what I have seen. Waiting for test ride even though I am certain my 2007 will be my only ride for a few more years.
(haters will always hate, don't need a legit reason)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Let the rants begin.
LOL looks like you already started one. There've been other before yours. Mellow and others have pointed out that the CTX is not the new ST. The CTX is a cruiser like the ST is a sport bike. Er tourer. Period.

Ugly is subjective. There are far more unattractive bikes around.

Devoid of side clearance and touring comfort.
This makes no sense. Side clearance? It's wider than a skinny ST? Won't clear what. And the ST is what? A luxury tourer? Not even close particularly if you consider the number of risers added and seat modifications made. As a sport-tourer it's neither a good sport bike or a good tourer when compared to sport bikes or tourers. It's a compromise and touring comfort is one of those. Some people don't like to sit upright. No problem. I do. One thing I notice on long rides is that my legs are a little cramped. I never experienced that on my 'Wing with floor boards.

I'd like to test drive a CTX before I draw any conclusions. It might be as comfortable as my ST. Or not. A little hard to say without trying it.

I've driven turbo vehicles and that's not a turbo whine. It's more of a push-lawn mower noise. Not what I'd call a salient characteristic. More of an unfortunate by-product of engine design preference. I can take it or leave it. It's absence wouldn't effect any other aspect of the bike.

If you don't like the bike you don't like it. I doubt anybody really cares whether or not it grows on anybody. Except maybe Honda marketing types. It's nice to be accurate about the objective stuff.

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
This makes no sense. Side clearance? It's wider than a skinny ST? Won't clear what.
I've driven turbo vehicles and that's not a turbo whine.
When I'm talking side clearance, I'm talking lean angle!! Lean angle!!!!!
The clearances given above do not address what will start dragging when a bike is leaned hard into a turn.
Cruisers, or whatever the CTX is called simply does not have the 'lean angle' I demand from a bike.........it's a safety thing for me.

The whine from the ST has been called a turbo whine since the bike's inception. Call it whatever you want.....or not......I like it. :)

Top Bottom