2014 Honda CTX1300

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Re: Replacement for St is on the floor in Chattanooga

That would be a de-tune, which implies taking the same engine and fueling it less-than-optimally to cut back on performance.
Yeah that was the point I was making but not wanting to put too fine a point on it.

I have to ask... Who crops your photos?
LOL that little ol' winemaker meeeeeeeee. Also making a point with that and not wanting to crop it down to next to nothing for the sake of a rectangle.

You guys are sounding more and more like BMW Airhead true believers' still waiting 20 years later for their "replacement" .......
Don't post when your high. :rofl1: You're confusing me with I don't know who.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #

In that Cycle World article on p68 they show the CTX leaned over some in a curve but it was already grinding sparks off the right side exhaust pipes all along where they are parallel to the road. Doesn't look like enough ground clearance to them ; costly !
Noticed that shot. That's not the muffler dragging, it's the scrape nut on the end of the peg that's making the sparks. You can see past under the pipes to where the sparks are if you look real close. Some time ago I looked at a straight on nose shot just to see what would touch first in a lean and the pegs win by a long shot. The mufflers wouldn't touch unless the tires went flat and the engine guard broke off first, not likely. They're tucked in under pretty good. I did recently read a post by a current owner who let his tip over at a stop. The fat part of the muffler had a little scuffing on the bottom at the back end and also the bags... just like happens to the ST without the add-on aftermarket saddlebag guards (saddlebags scuffing). I know, I did that in a low side.

It does have more clearance than my GW had and I did scape the pegs a few times with that. Wonder how costly titanium scrape nuts are. Doesn't matter, I don't lean my ST over that far, usually. Just not that aggressive.

Last edited:
Bike
'14 Honda Valkyrie

Wonder how costly titanium scrape nuts are.
A few years ago, titanium Allen head screws were about $12 each. I bought a half dozen to thread into the bottom of the Kury pegs on the VTX1800. What a show those put on.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR

If the CTX doesn't have tip-over wings, it's not the next ST.

If it has tip-over wings, it's the new ST.

We all love to talk about our tip-over wings... and those are what define the Honda ST. Engine and mechanics don't mean nothin'.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #

It has them high on the side doesn't it??

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR

CTX700_2014_07.jpg

Nope. Whew!

We've finally settled this. We can breathe easy and know that Honda still may update the ST1300! The CTX is just a tip-over-wing-less-diversion.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #

It has them high on the side doesn't it??
Yes, it does, actually. Though not shaped like "wings" as on the ST but more like a thick bar that sticks out about 2-3 inches beyond and just in front of the cylinder head covers. It's a bar mounted on the frame and covered with a black plastic cover. These ARE the tip over bars. Can be seen in the photo I posted above.

But it's still not the ST replacement. Honda doesn't call it that and I don't think anyone else should. The only Honda that can replace the ST is another newer/updated version of the ST that can do the same tasks/functions/purpose as the ST, maybe even do them better.

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #

CTX700_2014_07.jpg

Nope. Whew!

We've finally settled this. We can breathe easy and know that Honda still may update the ST1300! The CTX is just a tip-over-wing-less-diversion.
And the photo you posted is not the CTX1300 but the CTX700. Entirely different bike even if much of the fairing looks similar.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #

The pegs with the grind-down tips also spring up and back, what grinds next after the pegs pivot up ?

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR

Ooop. Yes, that's the 700.

The only pegs on a sport-tourer are under your feet!

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #

The pegs with the grind-down tips also spring up and back, what grinds next after the pegs pivot up ?
I've seen those bars with the covers off. Both on the parts fiche and in another photo or two. Not likely to spring anywhere any more than my ST1100 wings bent and deformed when I low sided. Doubt there would be any problem. Those "pegs" are fairly beefy, about the same 2 inch steel as the frame they're mounted to. Similar 3 point mounting as the wings on an ST but just in a different location than on the ST.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
STOC #

I've seen those bars with the covers off. Both on the parts fiche and in another photo or two. Not likely to spring anywhere any more than my ST1100 wings bent and deformed when I low sided. Doubt there would be any problem. Those "pegs" are fairly beefy, about the same 2 inch steel as the frame they're mounted to. Similar 3 point mounting as the wings on an ST but just in a different location than on the ST.
TourNut is referring to the rider's footpegs, not the tip over bars.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #

After re-reading TourNut's post I see that. To answer the question however is easy as looking, again, at that photo I posted. Next up on the grind list after foot pegs get folded, and after the riders' feet get road rash from leaning over so far, is the rear part of the muffler as far as I can tell and also based on the report I read on a tip over on one of these. The pipes in front and leading back to under the swing arm pivot will not touch at all. That one photo with the sparks flying (which is what started this part of the thread) has the pipes and muffler still well off the road. The ST pegs will also fold up and back, yes- with more lean, and will have similar result if the lean continues after the pegs fold. Keep in mind the intended riding style for this bike. Most bikes can be pushed to perform to a rather sporty ride but obviously not to the ST sporty levels and anyone is just fishing for some fault to even suggest that it can, or should, be equivalent. GW comes to mind, but I've also known some HD riders who could extract some rather sporty moves with an ElectraGlide without dragging... much. (think of all that chrome they'd have to replace). And the ST can be pushed to display some impressive sport bike moves, but not to the same level as what a true sport bike can really do. Just talk to any skilled sport bike owner. To them the ST is too heavy, too slow, too long, pegs too far forward :eek:, sitting position too upright, lower HP, rev limited too low, etc. etc.

Bike
FJR1300

If it has tip-over wings, it's the new ST.

We all love to talk about our tip-over wings... and those are what define the Honda ST. Engine and mechanics don't mean nothin'.
EASt - :crackup

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Finally saw one in person. Looks better in front of you than in photos. Dash is in a different zip code it's so far away...odd sensation. Bars seem like boat tillers. The motor looks nice not so covered up. Dealer said he's sold a couple but does not plan to order any more.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Sat on one at Competition Accessories in Ohio. Not too impressed. The bags are smaller, and the handlebar position blocks the side mirrors. Sure it can be adjusted, but I think I will stay with my ST....

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
In Rider's August issue, pages 4 and 5, is a full spread advertising the CTX1300. That is something I do not recall seeing ever for the ST1300. Honda describes the bike as "equal parts cruiser and sport-tourer"...interesting.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I was talking to my friend today that's a sales guy at the local Honda dealer. He said they haven't sold any 1300's but have sold some 700's.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
In Rider's August issue, pages 4 and 5, is a full spread advertising the CTX1300. That is something I do not recall seeing ever for the ST1300.
The first two years of STs sold very well in this market, so there really wasn't much need to. I don't think I started hearing the term "leftover" applied to STs until 2007 or 2008.

--Mark

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
detuned=now burns regular grade gas. U all ask for it.
All of U posted to Honda what the new ST should have on it. I believe the CTX is what Honda created in response to your input. The only 1 they did not address was (keep the 7 gallon fuel tank).
Like change rear tire with out moving the mufflers. Done.
I like it.

Top Bottom