2014 Super Tenere - Gets some upgrades ZE Edition

Bike
2006 ST1300
:drool1::drool1::drool1::drool1::drool1:

I had managed to convince myself that my next (second) bike would have to be a Wee strom, because I can find them pretty cheap used; they have great fuel mileage; and the Super Ten is out of my price range. But now that I see the upgrades on the ZE- its giving me the itch all over again! I would still have a hard time justifying it as a second bike- cost, size/power, low MPG all take away big reasons the Wee was looking good as a second bike. The Super Ten would make a good replacement for the ST, but I hate to give up the ST. Ugh. Why do I have to make these decisions? LOL. Maybe sell the ST, buy the Super Ten, then get an XR650 as a dirt/local/play bike.

Never mind...I just need to win the lottery and buy them all!!!

O.K., so what is looking so good about this bike? Cruise; adjustable windshield; centerstand; adjustable suspension; top box holder...all must-haves. An aux tank in place of the pillion seat would solve the fuel range issue. Shaft drive is a HUGE plus over the Wee.

On the downside, spokes are lame for this type of bike. I haven't checked, but has anyone come up with spokeless wheels yet?

Bike
Vstrom 650
Sat on a super 10 for the first time at the bike show this weekend,wouldn't be impressed with the Yamaha luggage but otherwise it's a fantastic looking machine. the new electronic suspension/cruise control etc are great additions.
Test ride soon and who knows I might just go crazy and buy one,we pass this way only once after all.

Last edited:

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
On the downside, spokes are lame for this type of bike. I haven't checked, but has anyone come up with spokeless wheels yet?
Over 35k on mine and I have only tightened one spoke so far - sounded a little flat compared to others. No others have yet needed to be tightened. My bike sees plenty of dirt, gravel and pavement - pretty good record so far for spokes.

Still, the best bike I have ever owned. Can't get enough of the S10.

The Wee has been sold to DParker and I keep thinking about selling the ST1300 because it does not get ridden enough.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I was at the Toronto Motorcycle show yesterday and I'm not supposed to tell you but look for the Super Tenere to be announced in the good ole USA soon. It's coming, no worries.
That's not good.. not at all.. I think the FJR is a great sport tourer and pretty much at the top of my list w/ES version.. now the Super Ten being lighter and more Adventure-ish and now an ES version.... No.. it needs to wait at least a couple more years.

Oh well, this year is the year of the House so I have a lot of stuff to do $-wise that will help keep me on the VStrom.

Bike
'13 Yamaha ST
Sorry Mellow, talked to a dealer several days ago. Told me Yamaha has told him the announcement will be next month and he could start ordering then. Also a letter went out to the dealers several months ago saying the same.

Mark

Bike
2006 ST1300
Sorry Mellow, talked to a dealer several days ago. Told me Yamaha has told him the announcement will be next month and he could start ordering then. Also a letter went out to the dealers several months ago saying the same.

Mark
With my new promotion...I may be at the dealer the day that happens. :)

Bike
2006 ST1300
Can someone tell me how much extra power is available to run electric accessories? I know this won't be perfectly accurate for the changes for the new model, just trying to get a rough estimate.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I asked this question at the MC show ... 600 watts is correct. The Triumph Trophy is the champ in this area - 950 watts

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm eyeballing the new ZE. When I found the very nice used 2012 I was up in the air about whether to wait for the new model with all the great features. Well now I have to wait a couple months even for a used one...so the new one is looking better and better. I hope to have the ST paid off by then, so could easily do with slightly higher payments.

One thing I didn't care for about the used one is that it had the factory panniers. I would rather have nice, rugged aftermarket ones.

Bike
Vstrom 650
One thing I didn't care for about the used one is that it had the factory panniers. I would rather have nice, rugged aftermarket ones.
I seen the Yamaha panniers and wasn't impressed with them at all, the spoked wheels are a bit of a concern, reports of some spokes coming loose in the earlier models wasn't good.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I'm always amazed at what people can do... If the tank on your Super Tenere is too small, just make it bigger. <cool>

http://trinityzxr750l1.blogspot.com/2012/02/xt1200z-tank-conversion-project-part-2_27.html

big-tank.jpg

There's someone doing that with FJR tanks too - Frankentank he calls them. ;-) Brings the capacity up to IBR limits of 11 gals(?) without the need for aux tank and all the plumbing and extra space that takes. Not cheap of course - and some pretty good skills required to pull it off well.

Loose spokes happen. Easy & quick to check and tighten. I used to check along with tire pressure.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Typically no and no. Use a spoke wrench to tighten the offending spokes. "Tight" is actually just snug. Unless the wheel is bent or there are lots of loose spokes just hitting the loose ones is fine.

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I haven't a clue how you'd do that,does the wheel/tyre have to be removed? and does the wheel need balancing afterwards?
When I had my STen I just used a very small open end wrench or small crescent. I never had one losen all the way but did have a few loose ones... I would just get a screw driver and tap on them to hear a dull 'thud' or 'ting' to tell if they needed to be snugged up. Strange, I have a friend with a GS and his spokes have never needed tightening in almost 200,000 miles.. but, I did really like the STen a whole bunch..

If this pre-ordering works like the last one, it might take as much as 8 months or more from the time you order to the time you get the bike... Mine was around 6 months but there were many who ordered 3-4 months before me and maybe got them a week or two sooner than mine.

The FJR was on top of my list as the next possible bike mainly due to them making the electronics similar to the STen but now they'd added the ES to the bike the STen may have to displace the FJR..

Bike
2006 ST1300
Looks like they left a few things out of the U.S. model such as electronic suspension adjustments. Still makes me drool.

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom