2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT

I have been thinking about a replacement for my 2003 ST1300 for a while. It has been an amazing bike to own, very reliable and a very comfortable bike to tour with - I added a top box, throttle lock, gps mount, accessory power port, a sargent seat and twin brothers exhaust. I have had no problems with the bike over the past 17 years. I love the electronically adjusted windshield and for the most part maintenance free shaft drive. I don't like the weight of the bike or the lack of cruise control. My first priority would be another Honda however they don't have anything that interests me - the African Twin perhaps however I don't intend to go off road and don't care for the high seat height that typically comes with the adventure style bikes. The FJR perhaps, however, its an older design that they are in the process of retiring, also a fairly heavy bike. The Yamaha Tracer 9 GT has caught my eye, previously I would not have considered this bike as its payload was to low for 2 up riding however they have increased payload for the 2021 model. I would miss the shaft drive and electronically adjustable windshield however there are not a lot if any sport touring bikes that come with these features. Other bikes under consideration include the Triumph Tiger GT Pro, Kawasaki Versys 1000 GT.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I have been thinking about a replacement for my 2003 ST1300 for a while. It has been an amazing bike to own, very reliable and a very comfortable bike to tour with - I added a top box, throttle lock, gps mount, accessory power port, a sargent seat and twin brothers exhaust. I have had no problems with the bike over the past 17 years. I love the electronically adjusted windshield and for the most part maintenance free shaft drive. I don't like the weight of the bike or the lack of cruise control. My first priority would be another Honda however they don't have anything that interests me - the African Twin perhaps however I don't intend to go off road and don't care for the high seat height that typically comes with the adventure style bikes. The FJR perhaps, however, its an older design that they are in the process of retiring, also a fairly heavy bike. The Yamaha Tracer 9 GT has caught my eye, previously I would not have considered this bike as its payload was to low for 2 up riding however they have increased payload for the 2021 model. I would miss the shaft drive and electronically adjustable windshield however there are not a lot if any sport touring bikes that come with these features. Other bikes under consideration include the Triumph Tiger GT Pro, Kawasaki Versys 1000 GT.
Have you made a decision about the Tracer? I too and looking at it, the Versys, and the V Strom.
Thanks, John

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Well there aren't a ton of options, especially if you want to two up. If not for two up I would consider the Kaw Ninja 1000 SX now that they have added cruise control. 6 gallon gas tanks, electric windshields and shaft drives are becoming rare as hen's teeth on new bikes. I've never talked to anyone on a Kawasaki Ninja 1000 that didnt sing its praises.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I would say there's not enough to make the move if you already have a pre-2021 tracer ... if you have an FJ-09... maybe a greater benefit.
After looking at a few options I decided on the Tracer GT as a replacement for my ST and found one with just 3,800 km on it, barely broken in. PO added lots of great accessories and I'm adding a few more while it sits in the garage waiting for better weather. Really looking forward to getting this lightweight on the road in the next 4 - 6 weeks.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
After looking at a few options I decided on the Tracer GT as a replacement for my ST and found one with just 3,800 km on it, barely broken in. PO added lots of great accessories and I'm adding a few more while it sits in the garage waiting for better weather. Really looking forward to getting this lightweight on the road in the next 4 - 6 weeks.
Can you please post some pictures and list your mods? We are all interested!
Thanks, John

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
So, how are you liking your Tracer?

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Can you please post some pictures and list your mods? We are all interested! Thanks, John
So, how are you liking your Tracer?
Been a bit negligent in responding to this, sorry about that....... I really like the 2019 Tracer GT I purchased mid winter. PO had the bike for 2 seasons and only put 3,800 km on it. The accessories it had when I purchased it were...........
  • Bagster rider and passenger seat (have OEM seats too)
  • Helibars riser 1" up & 1" back
  • Yamaha 1" lowering kit
  • Side stand foot enlarger
  • FJR footpegs (have OEM too)
  • Madstad 20" + 18" windshields (have OEM too)
  • Evotech mirror extenders
  • Lightguard chain adjusters (have OEM too)
  • Radiator guard
Have added GIVI engine guards and top case brackets + plate for my Maxia 52. Have ordered, but not received, GIVI tanklock adapter + XS320 tank bag + Garmin XT. Have borrowed an Air Hawk to use with the Bagster.

Right now I've had it on the road about 2 months and I'm at the 10,000 km mark. 2 trips completed, a 4-day 2,000 km ride and just returned from a 6-day 3,200 km trip and the bike performed very well. On the highway it's no ST but it makes up for it with its light weight and nimbleness in the corners, multiple ride modes, traction control, cruise control and fully adjustable suspension that I've been fine tuning to my weight and riding style.

Future mod plans include Russell DL, louder horns, driving lights, Nemo chain oiler, highway pegs and a fuze panel of some sort at this point. List will probably get longer as time progresses.

Some regrets selling the ST, but really only have room (and time) for 1 bike and, overall, the Tracer is really exceeding expectations. A little disappointed re the size of the saddlebags. On the ST I had 30L x 2 and the 52L for a total of 112L. The Tracer bags are just 20 L, so I've lost 20L total of storage space. I understand the Tracer saddlebag shell will accept the FJR lid to bump its capacity to 30 L but this is not an inexpensive change. Frankly it should have come with the FJR style lid IMHO. I note the the 2021 Tracer 9 GT has larger bags on it.

The bike will spend much of the balance of the season at the cottage and I'm looking forward to stripping off the the top case and saddlebags and then exploring a whole bunch of small gravel side roads that I never felt comfortable riding on with the 750 lb ST.

COVID aside, I look at the 2021 season as one of transition from the ST to the Tracer, lots of good trips and lots of time to figure out how to set the bike up. All 1st world problems as my daughter reminds me.

So, all in all, so far so good. I'll post a few pictures when the bike has the just completed trip grunge washed off of it.

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I purchased a ‘19 Tracer GT that had 4400 miles on it last October…..currently have 13,500 miles enroute the MSTA STAR rally. I also agree that the stock saddle bags are too small even when used with a Givi V46 top box. I had to strap a waterproof bag containing some gear for this week long trip.

I would have ridden my ‘15 Super Tenere with the huge 45 liter Micatechs but it is going on a long trip to the BMWOA rally in Great Falls in eight days…..new tires, fluids, etc, ready to go. The Super Tenere is a great long distance bike….better than the Tracer GT in my mind.

But, the Tracer GT is a lot of fun to ride, nimble, fast, and feels like it weighs about half what the Super Tenere does.

BAA18D4E-A945-4EC2-8C2B-64EF9E34BFEE.jpegFC844D49-CA8B-4662-A413-37BD0F9A2251.jpeg

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I read that FJR saddle bag's lid fits and a full face helmet will fit in the saddle bag.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I saw the 2021 900 GT at the dealership yesterday. Looks great in that Ducati red. Bags ARE shaped a little weird though.

And I submit, unless you are camping, if you can't fit everything you need for a indefinite length trip in the saddlebags (even small ones like the GT's), a 46L trunk and a tank bag riding solo, either you don't know how to pack OR you are taking too much STUFF! lol

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Oh my god, those bags look AWESOME!!!
Thanks, I was afraid they would look huge but they are just a little larger than the oem bags but much easier to pack.

IMG_20201121_054023.jpg

They don't fit as close-in as the oem bags but not bad IMO.

IMG_20201204_125026(1).jpg
IMG_20201204_125053(1).jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I read that FJR saddle bag's lid fits and a full face helmet will fit in the saddle bag.
That is going to depend on what helmet you have........
The FJR bags are 30L and I will have to remind ReSTored I have extra FJR lids coming available.........

The more I read the details the more I like it... still not sure about the looks but if I didn't already have the prev version, I'd look strongly at this.
I am also happy with my 2019 Tracer GT, and I don't use sport mode too often since the front wheel comes off the ground in 3rd gear....at 62 my wheelie days are over. lol.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I'm enjoying all these Yamaha photos. I have ridden the previous gen Tracer (and the 3-wheel Niken!) but they didn't quite push my buttons. What did hook me in was the CP4 engine in the MT-10, and after a couple of test rides I sold my ST plus another couple of bikes to fund the purchase. I've now had my MT for just over 3 months and in that time I've covered about 6000km. I'm very fond of the riding position, and I find it better on my wrists and knees than the ST, and I have covered a few 600km days with ease. It also is so much cooler to ride than the ST, I used to dread riding that much above 25C. The downside is the tank range, but it is not as dire as I expected and in fact for my normal use (carving endlessly twisty roads at just above the speed limit) it uses less fuel than the 13, probably a consequence of the much lighter weight, but of course the tank is only 18L so the best I've managed before refueling is 260km. The engine is wonderfully smooth and relaxing to use, but has a serious dose of power further up the revs. It also sounds much more like a VFR800 than an in-line 4, which in my view is a big plus.
The bike I bought came fitted with the OEM comfort seat, I've added a short Givi screen and heated grips, plus some Givi expandable panniers, so I created my own MT-10 SP GT. I like it a lot. The only time I miss the ST is when riding into a decent headwind where a bit of neck strain happens due to less wind protection.IMG_2051.jpg

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
As I understand, while definitely a problem with the FJ-09, it was resolved with the 2019 Tracer.
Plus, there is a flush fitting plug from some Mazda model that fits and prevents any problems.

Greg

Top Bottom