Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Just revealed . . . Ben Ernst is the first rider ever to make it into the Northwest Territories; all the way to Yellowknife. Steve Eversfield also made it there, both earning 20,818 points! Will it be a winning plan going there? Time will tell.

Awesome,
Shuey

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just read on Ibr, someone from sto Utah drove 500 miles with wheels and tires for Jim and he is back on the road. Glad to hear someone was close enough to help in time. Hats off to the rider from utah..
Actually, it was only 400 miles (each way). Jim was in a tight situation and being in the middle of NOWHERE, and I had the parts he needed.

I have been in a (not as remote) similar problem, where we needed a tire NOW. Khris (@Tankereng), helped us out with a tire and even mounted it for us. So I feel I was able to finally pay that forward!

I just hope Jim is able to finish the ride, without further issues!

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Awesome kindness on your part SupraSabre! Great job!!!!!

Actually, it was only 400 miles (each way). Jim was in a tight situation and being in the middle of NOWHERE, and I had the parts he needed.

I have been in a (not as remote) similar problem, where we needed a tire NOW. Khris (@Tankereng), helped us out with a tire and even mounted it for us. So I feel I was able to finally pay that forward!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Say it isn't so!!!
In the entry titled Recipe for Disaster --
"What would the IBR be without a BMW final drive failure on Day 11? Sjef Vanderaa’s 2014 R1200GSA BMW has apparently suffered a final drive failure in NC on the way to the finish."

I mean, c'mon BMW! Thought we were over that crap!
The "new" final drive malaise and cluster-flub was rampant (some would say) in 2005 - 2006 era, wasn't it?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A

Way To Go Bob!

1688086692420.png

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Caption Contest . . . I like the winner and ALL the honorable mentions, but my favorite is at the bottom of the list by Lynne Carey.

Shuey

PS: Like Sadlsor, it's just so hard to understand that another BMW Final Drive failed, and on Day 11 no less! So sad.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
......final drive failure on Day 11.....
Stretching the final on the final stretch!

He may be one of the Beamers so confused about best spline Moly to use (and with no Larry to ask) that they ended up using M77?

Last edited:

thekaz

haz gone feral

HEY thanks for getting Jim back on the road !!!!!!!!!

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
SupraSabre said:

That is outstanding help Bob!

Bike
R1200rt
Say it isn't so!!!
In the entry titled Recipe for Disaster --
"What would the IBR be without a BMW final drive failure on Day 11? Sjef Vanderaa’s 2014 R1200GSA BMW has apparently suffered a final drive failure in NC on the way to the finish."

I mean, c'mon BMW! Thought we were over that crap!
The "new" final drive malaise and cluster-flub was rampant (some would say) in 2005 - 2006 era, wasn't it?
from Chevy trucks to Honda motorcycles all the differentials use tappered boller bearings except BMW m/c

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
from Chevy trucks to Honda motorcycles all the differentials use tappered boller bearings except BMW m/c
So if they're tappered and bollered bearings, is that kind of like, bolloxed?
May need to get need the input of @Upt' North to translate this for me.
What say you, Ray?
(I can't wait for this one.)

Bike
VStrom 650
So if they're tappered and bollered bearings, is that kind of like, bolloxed?
May need to get need the input of @Upt' North to translate this for me.
What say you, Ray?
(I can't wait for this one.)
I feel I have little to give, it could be the weather, but I'm sure that esteemed manufacturer of motorcycles, namely BMW know a lot about boller bearings. They certainly know a lot about expensive bollo..s.
But as we know they celebrated making millions of these things recently so I'm sure they'll cotton on pretty soon.
I think my arris would have given up long before that bearing, and that ain't even German.
Upt.

Top Bottom