4 drops in 6 months!

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Don't give up. I have a 29" inseam and I have no problem with my ST...so far...and I doubt I will because I'm coming from an '04 V-Max. Now the V-Max is about 85 lbs. lighter but that thing, (don't get me wrong, I loved the bike) is top heavy and very touchy at slow speeds, hence, I droped the Max 3 times. What I learned is: when using the kickstand ALWAYS turn the wheel, even if you think the surface is level; DON'T make sharp truns at slow speeds; Don't attempt to mount the bike when wearing tight pants or shorts. Most of all, go to a empty parking lot and prctice, practice, practice...work on your weaknesses, over and over. My ST is soooo much easier to handle, even though it is considerably heavier than the Max was. I LOVE it.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
One thing I have not seen mentioned. Have faith in the bike. If you are starting out into a turn and the bike feels like it wants to fall into the turn you need to apply throttle, not brake. As you have found out, at this point the bike is leaning to far over for you to catch it. Look where you want to go and apply the throttle. The bike will stay upright and go where you are looking. I watched people struggle with this in a BRC course when maneuvering slowly. Once I told them the throttle will stand you back up they did much better. Good luck.

Bike
ST1300A 2009
STOC #
I'm new to riding (after a 25 year break) and have learned a great deal from this thread. The importance of using the back brake at intersections, and keeping the dynamics off the front fork as much as possible - that's something I'll consciously incorporate in my riding.

Unfortunately I recently had an injury from a near-tipover in the same situation that Pixguy described at an intersection. I saved the bike, by-golly - but sprained my wrist in the process. Next time, I'll let the bike go. Then, I'll re-read this entire thread one more time ... :)

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Body strength has nothing to do with it.
I disagree, body strength has a lot to do with not dropping a bike. I have had my ST1100 with a touring load as far over as 45 degrees and haven't dropped it. I once had a Vulcan 750 laid over with the bars 18" from my driveway and I was able to keep the bike from hitting the ground. Had that been the ST, I would have dropped it. My only drop is when I was fueling with the bike on the side stand in neutral, and the bike rolled forward when I was attaching the tank bag.

IMO, if the bike is too heavy or tall get one that fits.

Ralph Sims

ST Dan

2 summers 50k+ miles 48 states
Bike
14 NC700X
STOC #
it takes practice, I'm 5'6 w a 28" inseam. it seriously took me 80,000 miles on an ST before I really felt comfortable on it. I've haven't dropped my bike.....yet...:rolleyes: I'm gonna disagree with the not using the front brake advice. that's primarily all I use. I only use the rear brake to hold the bike on incline/declines and in panic stops. but it's probably more of what you get used to and finding what works for you. you need to practice in a parking lot being smooth. if you can be more smooth in your actions the bike will be less likely to surprise you by shifting too far to one side or the other. the balance will come to you, it just takes awhile because it is such a top heavy bike.

Top Bottom