40-Amp Upgrade question.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Hi Wayne, There's a ton of information over on the ST-Riders.net site, including a for loan tool kit as well. Look in the archives of wisdom forum.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
From the ST1100 AOW:

Please note that one of the key parts for the upgrade, the base plate, is no longer available new stock from Honda. IOW, salvage/used only. There’s currently a salvage, complete alternator and alternator shaft assembly available for sale here on this site [edit:LINK].

John

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Per John's comments, the base plate is becoming scarce.
The videos and articles on the process are great.
The Clymer manual for the early ST1100 has a chapter with lots of photos. If you wish to do this, read and watch everything....twice. It's certainly doable, just time consuming.

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
Sold....I have an adaptor plate, used original 40 amp Honda alternator, and an alternator shaft with bearing I'd be willing to sell. I did my up grade on my '94 a couple of months ago with the help of John O's prior experience and all the others that have been done before. John put together a handy dandy install loaner kit that has all the instructions and tools and install equipment you would ever need to complete the upgrade. I got these extra parts when I thought the first one I found were not going to happen and sinced the plates are all but impossible to find, I picked them up just in case the first one didn't pan out, but it did, so I have these extra parts. Just been waiting for someone to decide to do the upgrade. $200 + shipping.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I have gotten a price estimate for adapter plate duplication: $450 for one or $350 each for ten.

Is that reasonable? Would there be a demand?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
My opinion is that over time there could well be demand for 10 of the aluminum plates. However, I suspect that the other unique part necessary for the upgrade, the hardened steel splined shaft, will also soon (if not already be) no longer be available NOS; a far more expensive part to custom manufacture. Something to consider...

John

Bike
VStrom 650
My opinion is that over time there could well be demand for 10 of the aluminum plates. However, I suspect that the other unique part necessary for the upgrade, the hardened steel splined shaft, will also soon (if not already be) no longer be available NOS; a far more expensive part to custom manufacture. Something to consider...

John

John, is this the shaft, if so it's still available at a good price from these. Although I don't think the plate is. The link isn't perfect, but scroll down and it's there.
Upt'North.

Bike
VStrom 650

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
John, is this the shaft[?]
Yes, that is the part: 13411-MAJ-G20
Unique to the ST1100. The upgrade bearing, bolts, and o-ring(s) parts can be outsourced, but the plate and shaft cannot... currently.

How many more shafts than plates were made by Honda for replacement stocks I don’t have a clue. I do know of a number of plates that were cracked by upgraders (using the mounting bolts to try to seat the assembled alternator shaft assembly when the inner split gear was not yet engaged in the flywheel splines!) and had to be reordered. IOW, more plates than shafts have been removed from stocks. FWIW

John

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Is the 28 amp alternator not rebuildable? I know they are considered marginal by some, but there are apparently people out there still running them and they are working correctly. If the 40amp unit is rebuildable, then the 28amp should be as well. Bearings, seals, winding copper, etc. are all commodity level items. There are two shops local to me that rebuild most any starter or alternator you could find. It might be much simpler to find a capable shop.....

RT

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Hardly...
- stator freeze shrunk into casing
- everything sealed with Resin...
Well, the next step is to take it to a shop and find the closest match to the configuration, then machine an adaptor, or case, or shaft to make it work. Granted, my view is a bit jaded as I have a machine shop, and machinist at my disposal, but this really isn't rocket science and would be hard pressed to sell a bike for this reason.

Larry's machinist's pricing is not realistic. $300 for that part, in a bulk order? A better solution is alternator from another source using the existing 28amp mount, etc.

RT

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
RT, have you looked the related threads here in the ST1100 Alternator sub-forum?:

Also, over on ST-Riders.net? The AOW is public, register for the members forums, and search.

There are significant differences between the two charging system designs. Do you know what they actually look like? I really don’t see a stator from another model Honda being adaptable to the 28amper’s alternator shaft assembly. Then again, I could be wrong; but, I suspect that over all these years, that’s been looked at...

The 28 amp oil-cooled system was last used in ST1100s in 1995. In my 22 years on the forums I’ve yet to hear of a successful, reliable rebuild/repair shop of the stator. Anyone...? Bueller...?
25 years or more and still nobody’s reported a fix, and folks have indeed tried to find one.

Heres a thread that you and other folks might find interesting (stator repair/repotting):
and another:

Anyone with a trashed stator, send it to RT. Maybe he can work the magic. Seriously, I’d be thrilled if we can keep more STs on the road!

FWIW

John

Bike
2012 ST1300P ABS
STOC #
I have a 28amp that I got from a fellow forum member that was reported to be working but the insulation on the external wiring was failing and the bike was upgraded to a 40 amp unit without trying to fix the 28 amp unit wiring.

If anyone wants it for shipping costs, let me know

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Granted, my view is a bit jaded as I have a machine shop, and machinist at my disposal, but this really isn't rocket science and would be hard pressed to sell a bike for this reason.

Larry's machinist's pricing is not realistic. $300 for that part, in a bulk order?
Would you be interested in pricing duplication? I can gather some pics, and send you a plate if necessary.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Let me clarify: I run a maintenance dept, we have a full machine shop, and a machinist that works for me. Plenty of favors have been done for employees here, and work after hours, but its not like I can have multiple parts made for outside sources. That said, I'd be happy to take a look and see if there is a solution. Never seen a 28amp unit, or how it mounts. If someone wants to send me a dead one, great. I'll even pay the shipping since I'm curious.

RT

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS

‘The stator is the part that fails, it‘s on the far right in my photo. Plenty of images of it in the links I provided above.
Yes, I have looked at the posts. Repairing the 28amp appears possible if tedious. What I'd like to see is the mounting side of the 28amp compared to the 40amp adaptor plate and shaft. Could the 28amp unit be modified into an adaptor plate and shaft for the 40amp unit? There has to be commonality, they bolt into the same place on the engine. Or could the 28amp unit be modified into an adaptor plate to allow the installation of another type (non-Honda) alternator? Trying to think outside the box.

RT

Top Bottom