93 ST need fuel pump

Working on a 93 ST that the in tank fuel pump is not pumping. Electrical works and the pump runs but no fuel. Benched checked also. Some people have used the Facet 60304 in line pump. I want to use in the tank pump. There is a lot of them out there but not much information on the pressure. Does any body know what the fuel pressure is on the stock pump?? 2-4 PSI sounds about correct for a carburetor. Has some one used a in tank pump if so information and part numbers would help. Thanks Brian

OP
OP
snowworks
Just read the Uncle Phil post on what he has done for his ST fuel pump replacement. Quantum fuel pump for ST1100 for about $80. ebay. Then a regulator to get 1.5 PSI at the carbs. Uncle Phil if you are out there reply on this thread. I will be ordering one tomorrow and see about hooking my fuel gauge on the ST. Need to see if I can get the submersible fuel line. If I reply to your 5 page thread it might get lost.. Brian

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Yes, you need the submersible fuel line. It is expensive but you need it. Don't bother with the plastic hose that comes with it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Uncle Phil if you are out there reply on this thread.
Phil might not see your post. You can PM - private message him by going to any of his posts, hover your cursor over his name, then click on Start Conversation. Type your message and post it. He will get an email notification of the message. Or, before typing his screen name, (Uncle Phil), type: @ . His name will appear blue when you hit 'post reply' He will see a highlighted bell (upper right corner of this screen in blue band) when he logs on.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Brian - Yes, you will need the regulator and submersible fuel line (the line is horribly expensive).
The Quantum pump works great (other than too much pressure) but their supplied fuel line is junk.
My problem with external fuel pumps (I tried them), is they got hot if you put them under the fuel shelter and quit working.

OP
OP
snowworks
Yes, you need the submersible fuel line. It is expensive but you need it. Don't bother with the plastic hose that comes with it.
Thanks Ron I have used it before on a car application. I think I got it at NAPA..

OP
OP
snowworks
Brian - Yes, you will need the regulator and submersible fuel line (the line is horribly expensive).
The Quantum pump works great (other than too much pressure) but their supplied fuel line is junk.
My problem with external fuel pumps (I tried them), is they got hot if you put them under the fuel shelter and quit working.
Thanks Phil for checking in. THANKS for finding out about the fuel pressure set at 1.5 psi and how to repair it reasonable. I work on a lot of motors and carburetors need the correct fuel pressure.! I had a Mikuni slide carb than some one put in the wrong needle and seat and it would not run good. I think there is at least 3 different seats depends on the fuel delivery method. I have had this cycle for about 1 year as a nonrunning, neglected ST. I need to get it together.!! I just did the alternator up grade. Cleaned the carbs out. Repaired some broken plastic. Need a right mirror glass. I see some one sells them on ebay from the Czech Republic. Just not sure about getting it here in one piece. One step at a time. Need to get it running and driving!! I just ordered the Quantum pump about $85. I will see about the regulator and fuel line. You said 5/16, hose. I have the used the intank fuel line before. I think I got it from NAPA, Yea it is $$. I hope you can answer some questions down the road. Tires, windshield ect.. You have 4 of the ST. They all the carbureted 1100?? Thanks again Brian

OP
OP
snowworks
I will be taking it apart. Looks like there is a motor and then the pump separated by the screen. What is that top hose for?? The one connected to the tank from the pump?? Recirculate the fuel?? I need to take some fuel out and see where it goes. Looks like to the fill neck area.

Attachments

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The big one that goes near the top of the tank I just left off with no issues.
Some folks 'rework' the original regulator but I was lazy and went with the external one.
As I said, if she will crank when it is cold with no 'choke', you've got too much fuel pressure.
I removed all of the 'stuff' on the bottom and put the Quantum in it's place.
IIRC, I had to put new terminals on the ends of the wire - and note which is ground and which is hot.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Decades of restoring old bikes to new/near new has created some bad habits that still remain, or maybe I've just always been a bit anal about things. I still collect likely to fail and consumable parts after I buy a bike...bulbs, gaskets and seals, plugs, filters, rebuild kits at first, then items I have had to replace during restorations in the past. Got a lot of ST ideas from reading about maintenance issues from this site...thanks guys....which helped immensely when I refurbished our 1991.
Since we are discussing fuel system here, I'll focus on that. I followed Uncle Phil's advice on aftermarket fuel pumps and submersible hoses and found spares. While looking for these, I found a new fuel pump assembly on Ebay someone was selling (buy it now price) for way under half the retail....and jumped right on it. Long story a bit longer....ST1100's (and ST1300's) are all old bikes now so unpleasant surprises will be on the increase with time and mileage. If you can afford the space and money, build up an 'emergency' stock of your own.....if you intend to keep them a bit. There's always a market for left over spares after you pass a bike on.....even Cushman, which surprised the heck out of me.

OP
OP
snowworks
The big one that goes near the top of the tank I just left off with no issues.
Some folks 'rework' the original regulator but I was lazy and went with the external one.
As I said, if she will crank when it is cold with no 'choke', you've got too much fuel pressure.
I removed all of the 'stuff' on the bottom and put the Quantum in it's place.
IIRC, I had to put new terminals on the ends of the wire - and note which is ground and which is hot.
Stock Regulator?? I do not see one. I thought the stock fuel pump regulates the fuel pressure. Had a little thing happed yesterday. I have the fuel hose off the vacuum pet cock and some fuel in the tank. Fuel was coming out the hose. Took the tank cap off and there was a little pressure in it and the fuel stopped out of the hose. Does the fuel cap only vent vacuum in as fuel is used?? or also vent pressure when sitting in the sun?? I am thinking it is nothing because if the hose was connected the pet cock would stop the fuel from pressurizing the carbs.. Another thing to keep in my head!! I worked most of the day on putting the plastic back on the ST. Cleaning each piece and finding the correct bolts. What a mess of bolts. I had the valve cover plastic vents off and all the plastic down. The lower chin spoiler had a load of oily dirt in it. Today I will look at the black plastic above the headlight. Mounting tab broke off and cracked. MAN I seen a 2000 ST locally, 11000 miles and beautiful $4000 on marketplace..

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
$4000 for a ST1100? That's way overpriced as they are usually $2,000-$2,500 for low mileage ABSII models.
The 'stock' regulator is built onto the end of the stock pump some fellers have used it - the procedure is posted somewhere on this forum.
The fuel pressure is extremely low - 1-2.5 lbs so there is not much 'pressure' in the tank in my experience.

There is also a 'fix' for the broken tabs on the garnish (not mine but I have used it) -

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Stock Regulator?? I do not see one. I thought the stock fuel pump regulates the fuel pressure. Had a little thing happed yesterday. I have the fuel hose off the vacuum pet cock and some fuel in the tank. Fuel was coming out the hose. Took the tank cap off and there was a little pressure in it and the fuel stopped out of the hose. Does the fuel cap only vent vacuum in as fuel is used?? or also vent pressure when sitting in the sun?? I am thinking it is nothing because if the hose was connected the pet cock would stop the fuel from pressurizing the carbs.. Another thing to keep in my head!! I worked most of the day on putting the plastic back on the ST. Cleaning each piece and finding the correct bolts. What a mess of bolts. I had the valve cover plastic vents off and all the plastic down. The lower chin spoiler had a load of oily dirt in it. Today I will look at the black plastic above the headlight. Mounting tab broke off and cracked. MAN I seen a 2000 ST locally, 11000 miles and beautiful $4000 on marketplace..
Search on this older discussion. It shows how to remove the stock pressure regulator from the top of the dead OEM pump and modify it to fit inline with the replacement pump. Page 7 or so of the discussion.
Article [11] ST1100 - Fuel Pump Replacement

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Search on this older discussion. It shows how to remove the stock pressure regulator from the top of the dead OEM pump and modify it to fit inline with the replacement pump. Page 7 or so of the discussion.
Article [11] ST1100 - Fuel Pump Replacement
Search didn't seem to find it. Link?

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
This one perhaps?

I've had good luck with using Kemso & Quantum pumps to replace OEM pump. Have used both on my carby VFR without any issues.

OP
OP
snowworks
Decades of restoring old bikes to new/near new has created some bad habits that still remain, or maybe I've just always been a bit anal about things. I still collect likely to fail and consumable parts after I buy a bike...bulbs, gaskets and seals, plugs, filters, rebuild kits at first, then items I have had to replace during restorations in the past. Got a lot of ST ideas from reading about maintenance issues from this site...thanks guys....which helped immensely when I refurbished our 1991.
Since we are discussing fuel system here, I'll focus on that. I followed Uncle Phil's advice on aftermarket fuel pumps and submersible hoses and found spares. While looking for these, I found a new fuel pump assembly on Ebay someone was selling (buy it now price) for way under half the retail....and jumped right on it. Long story a bit longer....ST1100's (and ST1300's) are all old bikes now so unpleasant surprises will be on the increase with time and mileage. If you can afford the space and money, build up an 'emergency' stock of your own.....if you intend to keep them a bit. There's always a market for left over spares after you pass a bike on.....even Cushman, which surprised the heck out of me.
Oldbikefixr I guess you could call me that now also!! My kids call me old. (64) and have lots of Bikes Motorcycle and Pedal. Most motorcycles I have bought do not run or a project some body gave up on. This 93 ST was from an older than me person. I think this one gave up so he parked it. Alternator he already had a extra bad stator 28 amp. The alternator on it did not charge and leaking oil. He bought a V twin Kawasaki and rode that till he had a small accident. Could not pick the bike up. So he said I am done ridding. He had it for sale for some time before I picked it up. He also had a 82 GL1100 for sale not running. I always like the ST and wanted one but I had other bikes to ride. 58K miles on this one. The fuel was old but not rotten. So I think it sat for 2-3 years. I will get it together little at a time. Digging through the box of parts I got I found these foot pegs. All the hard wear was missing but I found what will work. I need some shorter stainless 1/4 20 allen head bolts. I do not see any name brand on them. I think they could be made. 1/4 inch thick steel. STfrontFOOTpeg.jpg

OP
OP
snowworks
IT RUNS!! Got the Quantum fuel pump installed!! YEA!! I hooked it up to the stock regulator as Smudgemo showed in Uncle Phil fuel pump thread. Taping 1/8 pipe threads. on stock regulator and new pump. I wanted to hear the ST run. Shot some fuel down the intake and turned the key a few times and saw fuel enter the filter. Hit the start button and it fired up!! Took a little time to smooth out but it did. So today I went to get my Snap On fuel pressure gauge and it is stuck at 5 psi. What?? Stuck my Mighty Vac on the gauge and it holds vacuum and pressure but the needle did not move. So I had to get my friends Harbor Freight fuel pressure gauge and I think it is a little high. 2.5 to 3 psi. Uncle Phil set his to 1.5 psi and it runs good. So as it was running I pulled off the wire for the fuel pump and as the pressure went down it sounded like the motor cleared out. I was running it at about 2500 rpm. I do think the lower fuel pressure at 1.5 psi is where it should be. I bought this ST nonrunning and I think it has sat 4-5 years. I wanted to see if it moves. I took it down my street and kept it in first gear varying the throttle. Yea!! On the way back I just shifted it through the gears but still under 40MPH. No oil leak, and 14.2 V at the battery. So the alt up grade is working also!! That just made me happy as ever!! Got some more plastic to repair and get the fuel regulator on. Not sure I will plate it this year but I want to!! I am in MI so the season is winding down.

Attachments

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I believe those forward pegs are Steed Sticks from quite a while back. No longer available. I also think they are mounted upside down and on the wrong side. If you swap sides and mount them on top of the black wing brackets, you can carefully calculate where to drill the hole in the plastic "wing" covers. The screws have to be flush with top of the black angle iron piece for the wings to fit. I'll see if I can get a picture of mine tomorrow.

Top Bottom