93 ST need fuel pump

OP
OP
snowworks
To me, the big key on the fuel pressure is whether or not you need to 'choke' it when the engine is cold.
If you don't there's too much pressure IMHO.
Glad it's working for you now!
Well I have started it the last two mornings about 50 degree here. Both time I cranked it no choke it wanted to start but it did not. Continue cranking and pull the choke on. Take the choke off and crack the throttle and it fired up. Today was bad. Hard to start and when it did start was running on one cylinder. Even revved up you could here another cylinder fire now and then. Took my infrared thermometer and the left side was not firing. Shut it down and saw some fuel drips under the motor. So the carbs will have to come off and check the needle and seats.
I believe those forward pegs are Steed Sticks from quite a while back. No longer available. I also think they are mounted upside down and on the wrong side. If you swap sides and mount them on top of the black wing brackets, you can carefully calculate where to drill the hole in the plastic "wing" covers. The screws have to be flush with top of the black angle iron piece for the wings to fit. I'll see if I can get a picture of mine tomorrow.
Ron, Thanks for telling me the name for the FWD pegs. STeed STicks.. I get it!! I did search on this forum and there was an article in 2009 about some one bought a set $250. and the weld was cracking. When he got into it and saw it was a bad weld. The maker did not warranty it. I look a little at them today there is no weld on mine. Just pressed 1/4 steel. I see your point of reversing the mounting to use the "wing" covers. When I put them on I will try mounting them the other way. I would still like a picture of how they should look. Most of my hardware was missing and one wing cover is missing and the other busted up. Not going to worry about that till I get it running well first. I repaired the Headlight Garnish the other day. Mounting tab was broke off. I have the right side mirror glass and cover to repair also. I now need to pull the carbs off again and see what is going on with them..

OP
OP
snowworks
Your new pump maybe pushing too much gas into the carbs.
I would check that with a gauge before I pulled the carbs.
Uncle Phil, Yes I did check the fuel pressure and I have 2- 2.5 PSI. Little high but still it should run OK with that. I did clean out the carbs as just before I knew it needed the fuel pump. They were not that bad. Cleaned out the jets and made sure the CV slides, floats and needles moved. I did not take out the needles. Three of the needles leaked. So I have a set of needles seats and bowl gaskets on the way. I wanted to do a compression check but I do not have the 10mm spark plug adapter for my gauge. So far I have 1.5 miles on the ST up and down my street.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's what I liked about the 'external' fuel pressure unit - I could fiddle with it til I got it where it needed to be.
I don't know unless the 'new' pump is just putting out so much pressure the OEM FPU can't quite deal with it.

OP
OP
snowworks
Out of curiosity, what pump did you use?
TeteagueI, used the Quantum fuel pump off ebay that Uncle Phil used. $85. delivered to my door. I searched on ebay for an ST1100 fuel pump and I did not come up with the one Uncle Phil did. I am not sure why.. I did hook it up to the stock regulator for now. Running about 2-2.5 psi pressure. I have not run it much. 1.5 miles and on the stand. I have carb issues. New needle, seats and float bowl gaskets on the way.. Should be a picture of the fuel pump on the stock pickup up this thread.

Attachments

OP
OP
snowworks
Your new pump may be pushing too much gas into the carbs.
I would check that with a gauge before I pulled the carbs.
Uncle Phil, Got some time to pull the carbs again and do a better cleaning and change the needle and seats and bowl gaskets. I did check the carbs with a Mity Vac and all the needles were leaking some. Using soap and water. Two were real bad. I could see old dried fuel on the needles and the seat had some corrosion. After I had the new ones in I used the Mity Vac again and they held good to 5 psi when they popped off. Cleaned the plugs and got it back together. Fired it up and it ran OK took some time to clear up. Today I started it again and it ran better. I also took it for a slow run down my street. Ran the best it has yet.!! Really let it warm up and watched the temp gauge and it was just to the red and the fan kicked on. Glad that the cooling system seams to work.!! I have not put the fuel pressure gauge back on to see where I am. I do have the regulator here. Need to put the plastic back on.. I want to check the compression but my snap-on gauge does not have the 10mm threaded adapter. Making Progress!!

Top Bottom