'93 ST with ABS/TCS Alternator

hi guys,

would like to check if the 93 model alternator can i change the original 28 amp to 40 amp? cos mine died on me and i am in the mist of repairing it.

reason i ask is becos my mech told me it is not possible.

thanks alot for replies.

regards
zack (singapore)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Zack, the ABS/TCS makes no difference in the 40 amp upgrade. Your mechanic is probably just not familiar with the process. Lots of instructions on this and other forums, print some out (along with the parts list) and show him.

I've done 5 of them, on both ABS and non-ABS bikes. Don't know if John Oo has ever shipped the tool kit overseas, but any/all of the tools should be available or fairly easily manufactured. Ask John for a link to his photo albums to get a look at all the bits.

The factory method says to pull the motor from the bike to change the alternator. Also, to pull the oil pan. Neither is necessary using the proven aftermarket retrofit method. Also, the upgrade is no more complicated than a straight 28 to 28 change, except for a little extra wiring and the need to modify the cover on the 40 amper. Also, the 40 amper is no more expensive than a new 28 amper.

I'm sure you'll get additional comments here. Keep us poSTed your efforts and success.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Mike Martin and Mick McHam have a gob of stuff about the switch.

Try Mike at:
http://home.insightbb.com/~mmartin36/ST_Maint.htm

That will get you started until Uncle John OO or Mick himself gets here to give you the real deal.

Parts for the conversion are about $500.00 USD here. I suspect the shipping would be more, but not too much more. Parts are fairly small and light.

It's way much worth it to convert.

I was just thinking. If only George could ride there, I"m sure he'd help you change it!!

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Tom will ya go with? :D

I've ridden in the PI but never in mainland Asia.

Zack, I dropped a note to John Oo, I'm sure you'll hear from him shortly.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Hello Zack,

Of course the old oil-cooled 28amp alt system used on the early model ST1100s can be replaced with the new air-cooled 40amp version used on the later model years. It's been done many, many times, even by a few dealers. You can do the work yourself as many of us have, or have your dealer do it. Here's everything you or your dealer need to know in order to do the upgrade:
http://www.stocrallies.com/st-riders/index.php?topic=942.0
Visit ALL the links and view ALL the pictures.

I won't be shipping the STOC loaner tool kits overseas, but you can buy or make whatever you need for the job. Here's a link to my album of ST1100 special tools, including those for the alt upgrade:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/402389527

HTH

Regards, John

Last edited:
OP
OP
hi guys, really appreciate your help. i will show him the stuffs and instruct him to change to a 40 amp alternator.

OP
OP
omg after going through the instruction and the parts, i am really not sure if my mech is able to do the mod. i am going to call him up tml morning to tell him not to replace the existing alternator with a same 28amp first.

isit true that the 28amp cannot support additional lightings like the fog light or blinker and will cause it to failed again?

ThreeWheels

I'm an Engineer, not a Doctor
Bike
2010Spyder RT-S
STOC #
blackiek7,

Just a thought, but if our mechanic can replace the 28 amp unit with another 28 amp unit, the 40 amp upgrade is not much different.
I had my mechanic my upgrade as well.

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
It's really a lot easier than the description makes it out to be. It's as simple as pulling the old alternator out using the swingarm technique (rather than removing the engine), slipping the gears and alternator shaft into place, sliding the new alternator in, bolting it on, and doing some very simple wiring work to support the extra amperage and to delete the external VRR.

OP
OP
i had told him abt it... he seems a bit reluctunt but keeping my fingers crossed... he told me now the screws stuck... can't remove. dont known which screw but looking forward to riding the moSTer..

I replaced my 28amp with the 40amp upgrade in 3/08 on my '95 ST1100 and it works great. Don't let anyone fool you, it is a lot of work and you need to be mechanically comfortable digging deep in the bike. As things worked out, I later swapped out the engine (about 220,000 miles) with a '02 with 13,000 miles and now I have an extra alternator I am going to sell.

STOC #
I also just finished the upgrade. Well, Randy did all the work, I just watched, tightened a few screws, and any othe lacky duties I can find. But, he did an awesome job and I learned so much. For someone with little mechanical experiance it can be overwhelming but with John's kit (thanks John) it goes a lot better and can ease the pain.

Cheers,
Adam

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Adam

Glad it worked out well, seems each one becomes a little easier!

Adam is correct about following the instructions, well laid out and easy to follow. Just take your time and read the directions throughly before starting the job!

Hope this helps!

Randy

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
i had told him abt it... he seems a bit reluctunt but keeping my fingers crossed... he told me now the screws stuck... can't remove. dont known which screw but looking forward to riding the moSTer..
Blackiek, if your mechanic doesn't think he can do this job, I would be looking for another mechanic!! Although I've never done this (yet, but will soon!) I have no doubt that I would be able to complete this job! And I am not a "professional" mechanic!

And you can run a few 'letric goodies with the 28 amp unit, but you have to make sure you don't overload it. You wouldn't want to run extra lights AND your heated gear at the same time!

Here's hoping you have good luck with this!

STOC #
Thanks again Randy. The bike is doing awesome! Now I'm just waiting for the next tech party. Think I will either repace the brake and clutch lines. Or try to fork springs.

Now that the big job is done I just need to figure out what to do next.
Cheers,
Adam

OP
OP
hi guys, guess what my monSTer is back!!! replaced with a 40amp instead as local spare distributor do not carry the 28amp anymore. cheers!! :06biker:

btw do you guys have recommendation for tires?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Hi Zack,

Thanks for the follow-up, much appreciated. Glad to hear your mechanic came through for you. Hope that our info was of some help. Just curious though - how much did he charge you for labor AND parts?

[you probably want to start a new thread with your tire question]

Regards, John

Top Bottom