'93 ST with ABS/TCS Alternator

Just one quick question as I'm going to upgrade the 28Amp alternator this weekend. I've bought a salvaged 40Amps alternator, complete with the drive mechanism. Is it necessary to reuse the flywheel etc from the 28A alternator or can the the drive mechanism of the 40A alternator be used (is less work and I don't have to dismantle the 28A and the 40A altenator).

regards, Teo

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Just one quick question as I'm going to upgrade the 28Amp alternator this weekend. I've bought a salvaged 40Amps alternator, complete with the drive mechanism. Is it necessary to reuse the flywheel etc from the 28A alternator or can the the drive mechanism of the 40A alternator be used (is less work and I don't have to dismantle the 28A and the 40A altenator).

regards, Teo
Quick answer: Use the Alternator Shaft Assemby (what you called the 'drive mechanism') that came with the salvage 40amper, Teo.

<Anybody buying a salvage 40amper should ask for ALL the donor ST1100 parts necessary to do the upgrade, especially the COMPLETE/ASSEMBLED Alternator Shaft Assembly. It would be pretty silly for the salvage yard to disassemble the alt shaft assy for just the Shaft and Bearing. They'll never sell the other other parts from it, so why bother taking it apart?!?!>

[edit: also ask for the wiring harness that runs from the 40amp OEM fuse block to the starter relay, to the battery]

Good luck with the upgrade, Teo.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Hi all, I did the upgrade on Saturday, it went really okay, thanks to all that is written about the procedure here on the forum, else the Pan would be still sitting in the garage :bow1:

At first the lewis pin wouldn't come out, but turning the shaft a bit solved that. Thanks to the oscar winning films on Youtube I was able to solve the chines puzzle how to move in the alternator :D I had the wiring harness of an ABS version, so I had the 55A fuse block with cables to the alternator, the starter relay and battery. The wiring cost me about 10 minutes. But in total it cost me about 8 hours to take the bike apart and assemble it again.

The salvaged alt, complete with the wiring harness did cost 150 euro, so the upgrade was quite inexpensive (1,5 years ago I replaced just the stator on the 28A alt with a salvaged one from a CBR1000, and that cost me 75 euro). I now have 14,3 Volts on the battery (instead of 15,3 with the old alt under load). :wine1:

Special thanks to John Oosterhuis for his swift reply/email back!

Regards, Teo

STOC #
Just to chime in here with the others, yes, it most certainly can be done. And whether it's an ABS or not makes absolutely no difference. I did my 92 ABS some years back. It's the best upgrade you can make to an early ST.

yuergenb

Biking since 87'
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I have the inner part already in, but am having trouble with mating the rear second half. I have checked out all the pages but dont see a closeup of the finished product yet.

Bike
ST1100 ('93)
I also have a '93A and am seeing signs that the alternator may be going south. I went in to a local dealer and got some advice on other things to check first and I'll be starting on that tomorrow. When I asked what an alternator replacement (with probable upgrade to 40 amp) would cost if it comes down to that, the gentleman looked it up and saw that the factory procedure includes a full engine pull at 9+ hours of labor. I know from reading this forum that that's not necessary (thanks, yet again!). The primary tech wasn't in and he may already know this but just in case I'd like to have the info in hand when I talk to him next week.

Can someone confirm that the following pages capture the current state of the art for ST1100 alternator replacement?:

http://home.insightbb.com/~mmartin36/PK.htm
http://home.insightbb.com/~mmartin36/Alt.htm
http://home.insightbb.com/~mmartin36/AltProc.htm
http://home.insightbb.com/~mmartin36/Swingarm.htm

I also see that on the first page of this thread John Oo left a link to a page that no longer exists:

http://www.st-riders.net/?topic=942.0

Any idea where that can be found now?

Thanks!

Bike
ST1100 ('93)
Bumping my post from above...

My local dealer service department has confirmed that my problem is indeed my VRR *and* stator, so is recommending replacement. Being a Honda dealer they are reluctant to go outside the procedures listed in the Honda service manual, so I'm looking at 9+ hours of shop time at hourly rates that make me think I went into the wrong career. But the gentleman has agreed to look at the alternative approach info that I'm getting from this forum (links above) and let me know if he'd be comfortable doing it that way. It's not clear to me what the expected hours of shop time one should expect using available shortcuts. As it is, I'm looking at a bill for parts and labor that's >$1,800, which will cause my ST to go under a cover in the garage for quite some time before I can afford to have it done (I've been putting off a suspension overhaul, too, so the total $$$ is an amount I'd prefer not to have to discuss with she who must be obeyed).

A related question is where I could find salvage replacements rather than paying >$600 for the OEM 40-amp'er from the dealer's service department. In reviewing a lot of the old posts on this part of the forum I see that eBay has been a source from time to time but a lot of those posts are from 2008-9. Looking on eBay today I see a handful of 40-amp alternator parts and some 28-amp'ers but nothing that will solve my problem at the moment (I'd like to upgrade if I can, rather than replace with a 28-amp'er). Does anyone have an idea if I'm likely to see what I need on eBay in days, weeks, or months? Other sources I should look at?

Any other advice for someone who doesn't have enough experience to go the full DIY route?

Thanks in advance!

-Troy

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Wow, 5 weeks for the diagnosis! That's sloooooooooow.

Troy, there are other members in WA who are familiar with the procedure, expect someone will chime in. I'm not surprised your dealer is reluctant to tell you they don't always follow procedure but just about guarantee they don't. The swingarm procedure saves hours of time when replacing the alternator. If you can and do occasionally turn a wrench you can do this yourself. I did my first one alone many years ago. Better to have an experienced hand present tho.

John Oo is still the keeper of the tool set, contact him. And, keep us poSTed.

(Side note: in one of the first posts on this thread, I mentioned I hadn't ridden in SEA yet. Now, 5 years later, I have. Funny sometimes how things come around. :D)

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
....I also see that on the first page of this thread John Oo left a link to a page that no longer exists:

http://www.st-riders.net/?topic=942.0

Any idea where that can be found now?
That link should work fine, Troy. It's in the public area of the ST-Riders site. You'll have to register to read the tool kit loan post/info though.

Regards, John Ten Fifty-Eight

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100 ('93)
Wow, 5 weeks for the diagnosis! That's sloooooooooow.
It wasn't the dealer that took 5 weeks, it was me. I had just got married the week before that first post and was away on our honeymoon for part of the time in between--some things (although they are few) are more important than riding! I just took the bike back for diagnosis on Tuesday this week because my own efforts to work it out hit their limits. To their credit they took less than a day to do their part and now the balls back in my court.

Bike
ST1100 ('93)
That link should work fine, Troy. It's in the public area of the ST-Riders site. You'll have to register to read the tool kit loan post/info though.
Thanks, John. Confirmed that the link works for me now--not sure why it didn't before. I've registered and am awaiting moderator approval.

Top Bottom