A BMW I'd actually like to own.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like their boxer engines. It's their final drives that give me pause.
I know, I used to say the same thing but final drives was largely an issue of the late 90s and early 2000s. I've had two 2007 RTs with 297,000 miles between them ( not all my miles ) with trouble free drive trains. Trouble free in all respects.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I know, I used to say the same thing but final drives was largely an issue of the late 90s and early 2000s. I've had two 2007 RTs with 297,000 miles between them ( not all my miles ) with trouble free drive trains. Trouble free in all respects.
That's interesting, because I once rode an R1200RT and enjoyed it quite a bit. Admittedly, the anecdotal accounts I've heard of drivetrain failures seem to be centered around the GS.

Have you had any sort of unforeseen issues with your RTs?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I hope other companies start building some reasonable "commuting" style e-motorcycles.
I was in Beijing last fall and that city has banned the old 2 smokers from the city. It is crawling with electric scooters of all shapes and sizes. Eventually some of them will make it here I suppose.
Teslas take a lot of electricity, if they came home with an empty battery how long would it take to recharge the car? I know mostly people just have to top up for their average daily driving 30 to 50 miles but just wondering if it can fully charge an empty battery.
When (if?) solid state battery technology gets up to speed, the charging time issue should be a thing of the past.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
am just guessing ( heard he did this from a mutual friend) that he is selling the power to the utilities, and charging the car from his regular 220 volt incoming power.
That seems like a reasonable solution, for working people the car isn’t usually home during the time that solar panels are most productive.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Teslas take a lot of electricity, if they came home with an empty battery how long would it take to recharge the car? I know mostly people just have to top up for their average daily driving 30 to 50 miles but just wondering if it can fully charge an empty battery.
If you're talking about solar panels charging an EV it's more of matter it's as mentioned – they don't necessarily charge the car directly. Solar panels are almost always tied into the home's electrical system. During sunlight the panels supply all the juice and any not used may go back to the electric company for credit (or cash?). During daylight a Tesla plugged in is charged from the panels. At night it's from the electric company.

If the homeowner opts for a battery bank he can keep the daytime charge and use it at night. I'm guessing at any time the batteries are fully charged and the household load is light that excess current is sold back to the electric company.

Actual charge times depend on the Tesla and the particular battery and the charger. You can charger with the 120VAC outleTesla has a Level 2 wall charger they rate at 11KW/48A. I think they say it can fully charge any Tesla overnight. They rate charge times as miles drive per hours of charge. Huh?? I think that's to ease "range anxiety". You get more miles per hours-of-charge with their wall charger than with a 120V outlet.

I have no idea if a home solar array could charge an an 11KW rate or higher. But with it generating during the day and the car charging off peak at night solar could pay for itself the Tesla charging and then some. After I win a Power Ball lottery an EV will be at the top of the list of Next Buys.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I was in Beijing last fall and that city has banned the old 2 smokers from the city. It is crawling with electric scooters of all shapes and sizes.
Did they have a public (free or otherwise) charging infrastructure or did everybody stay close enough to home for round trips without an interim charge.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Reactions: Tor

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
...this is the BMW I'd like to own...and I do!
1983_R100RS-front_solo.jpg
Come on dude! Stop making us want something so hard to find! The only BMW I've ever rode was a 1967 R69S with bags upper and lower fairings and an Earles fork. Damn it was so unbelievably agile. When I retired and wanted another bike an RT was looking good, but BMW dealers are all 300 miles away and like HD dealers don't seem to want to potential customers. Engles in Kansas City being the exception. I rode up on my ST and they decided I needed a BMW. Nice people.

Top Bottom