A Little Rest For The ST and Temecula Steve

Bike
1999 BMW R1100S
Well, I had to send my ST away for about 6 months. I'll be getting L5-S1 and L4-L5 fused on the 1st of May and thought it would be best if the temptation to ride was not there. All of my activities are all limited to basically just sitting around. Quite a change from a 1 hour workout in the morning followed by 5 to 6 mile hikes. Even computers will be off limits when I'm wearing a magnetic bone stimulator for 2 hours a day. The electric scooter should be here next week - oh joy! Already can't wait for next November.

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
This too shall pass, Steve. I'm sure that you'll enjoy a full recovery, and the pain you're experiencing will finally be a thing of the past.

Your friends are waiting for you, and we'll plan a great ride in your honor when you're ready.

Rick

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Good luck and heal well, you will be riding B4 you know it.

OP
OP
Temecula Steve
Bike
1999 BMW R1100S
Well the farkling (or sparkling - I don't know what to call it) has started. They only had to do L5-S1 and the changes it made to all the other segments was amazing. I posted the pictues of my screws and rods. Hopefully this will be the only pictures of me that will be on the site without the bike. Have cut the pain meds in half and convinced the surgeon to trade the valium for one or two Heinekens. Now just need to switch the wife back from the nurse mode to the friend mode. Thanks for all of the well wishes and positive thoughts!

Steve,
Steve here in Sun City... Had work on 4 levels of my C-spine, florodomy or somthing like that, they went in from the back. That was April 1st 2013. My left hand / arm is still digressing. I cannot pull in the clutch on the ST any more. The strength may come back. They may have to fuse C4 - T1. But until that time..... I installed the clutch lever on the right side :) because of the hyd resoviour, the lever faces the operator, interesting config. but my face is in the wind.... then there is the FJR AE... or a few others...

I hope the lower level fuse takes care of your troubles... I did quit riding off road (13 years ago) because of lumbar spine troubles, so I know some of your pain.
Q) was there any paralysis or muscle wasting in your l(3)gs?

Steve, just north of you.

OP
OP
Temecula Steve
Bike
1999 BMW R1100S
Boy do I feel like a wimp! Steve, your work makes mine sound like I should have just put a Bandaid on it! I've been pretty fortunate in that I don't experience much pain at all. Everything just shows up as complete numbness which brings it's own risks because I've hurt myself and didn't even know it unless I just happen to see blood or other visual clue that something had happened. I too quit off road riding when I hit 40 as the breaks just took too long to heal. But sure do miss a full lock, feet up, full throttle slide on a crisp desert wash surface. Not much wasting away of muscle mass because I just wouldn't let myself stop right up till the surgery. One hour workout followed by 5 to 6 mile hike. I do miss that alot because now I just got cleared to go down stairs to get to the lower portion of my lot. But still not allowed on uneven surfaces. If nothing else, maybe I'll learn a little more patience with my body! Life sucks as you get older but I still like it a whole lot better than the alternative. Be safe out there and keep the wind in your face!

Tem Steve, went to P.T. yesterday in Murrieta... learned a lot... the owner of APEX PT just got back from base jumping in the alps. He even put oh a "wing suit" and did that a few times!

I've got access to a gym. I should use it. If you want a visit, shoot me a Phone #. We do some vicdone (sp?) together! ha!
I start back to werk mid june in vista, so I have a little time.

OP
OP
Temecula Steve
Bike
1999 BMW R1100S
Sounds like you've met Bill - he's the best as far as I'm concerned. Whenever I'm cleared for PT, that's who I'll be working with. Still too soon for me to do much of anything - just opening a window the wrong way yesterday has set me back a week. Keep trying to keep the no BLT in mind all the time but I slip up every now and then. Most of the pain killers out there are worse than the pain so I'm staying with something called norco. It allows me to be up for about 30 minutes and then down for an hour or so. I'm envious or your return to work. At least you can feel like you're getting something done.

Regards,

Steve

Yes, Bill
You know him huh? I was on the table the first visit, Bill wasn't there. Nicole was doing the massage thing.... Now I don't smoke.... when she finished, I did feel like 'lighting up':eek:

What is a BLT? sandwich?

OP
OP
Temecula Steve
Bike
1999 BMW R1100S
BLT is a restriction that I'll be looking at for 6 months - no Bending, no Lifting, no Twisting. I have a variety of tools that are designed to help me but it helps the most when you use your head. Haven't had the pleasure of meeting Nichole but I know all the staff there are great.

Nicole seemed a bit new..... You opened a window.... I was pondering this yesterday. you wanted some wind in your face? couldn't resist.

I hopped on my bike 2 days ago to run up to the church, while it was warming up, it started puking coolant!!!.

AGHHH! so the PIG is naked now. Further investigation is in order. lots of posts about this kind of thing. I've been reading some of them... FYI 50k miles..sl

OP
OP
Temecula Steve
Bike
1999 BMW R1100S
Well, 3 months ahead of schedule the bad boy is back in the garage and a short ride is in the works for the weekend. No problems moving the bike around the garage, putting it on the center stand and rolling it off several times. I figure if you can handle the bike when it's static, there will be no problems when it's rolling. Let's get it rolling!

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I'd ake it slowly and ride with someone in case the bike decides to take a nap...

Top Bottom