Adaptive Cruise Control for Motorcycles is Here

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
It's just more dumbing down of the driver. What happens when these systems malfunction and the driver is relying on it to do it's job? Car or motorcycle.
I hate to think drivers could get any dumber. Next time y'all go see the kids come through Lubbock for some scary drivers. The kind that will pass you cut in close and hit the brakes to make the turn you were making. I'm shocked there are no more shooting than there are.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
But what happens when the system malfunctions? And they certainly will, nothing is perfect. We are raising generations of drivers that won't know how to take control in the case of malfunctions because they never had to do it themselves.
Presumably the engineers have designed in a fail safe, for example, the whole system will not work if the adaptive radar/sensor fails. In this case you don't crash into the car in front of you, the guy behind you rear ends you.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Reading through the thread, seems a number of logic jumps and gripes that aren't due--frustration over driving skills and packed roads doesn't belong heaped upon ACC or LKA or other electronic driving-automation aids. No ACC (or other aid) over-rides you as rider (or driver). Yes there likely will be those who use it inappropriately or who are a 'bad driver'--but that's not the ACC's fault.

1) Just because a bike (or car) may have it doesn't mean the rider (or driver) is required to use it.
2) Just because some use it doesn't mean they 'need it' to be successful at riding (or driving), nor that they are a 'bad driver'.
3) Just because you may not have used one in proper setting or have used one and don't like it, doesn't mean it is not useful or can't be used appropriately by others.

Whether ACC or other electronic aids, rider (or driver) skillset still matters, the rider chooses to use it properly (or not properly). And it seems a lot of skillset is eroding (and evolving) with the changing times--but that was already happening before electronic aids like ACC started to be available.

The driver remains in control of the vehicle, still responsible, whether ACC (or other aid) exists in the vehicle. The driver chooses to use it or not use it. The rider (or driver) still is the common denominator, and poor riding (or driving) skills are apparent whether ACC is present or not.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
seems a number of logic jumps and gripes that aren't due...
...Just because you may not have used one in proper setting [or at all] or have used one and don't like it, doesn't mean it is not useful or can't be used appropriately by others.
+1 on everything in your post. But the above bits are my biggest grips about worry warts how fear the decline of motorcycling with every new bit of technology that surfaces with not so subtle subtext on how anybody who'd use tech must be less of a motorcyclist.

All this from their bike with electronic ignition LBS brake electric start FI heated gear and grips and maybe traction control and cruse control. The majority of complaints are pure FUD. It's one thing to say why any given might not work for a given rider but trying to make a legitimate argument using the above tactics is such a waste of time. It also mucks up a civil discussion. But then that and throwing a flex may be the point. It's going to happen every time.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
+1 on everything in your post. But the above bits are my biggest grips about worry warts how fear the decline of motorcycling with every new bit of technology that surfaces with not so subtle subtext on how anybody who'd use tech must be less of a motorcyclist.

All this from their bike with electronic ignition LBS brake electric start FI heated gear and grips and maybe traction control and cruse control. The majority of complaints are pure FUD. It's one thing to say why any given might not work for a given rider but trying to make a legitimate argument using the above tactics is such a waste of time. It also mucks up a civil discussion. But then that and throwing a flex may be the point. It's going to happen every time.
So speaking of what I experienced firsthand and expressing my own reservations about the implementation is "pure FUD", flexing, and mucking up a civil discussion?

If I wasn't lumped in with your statement, then I guess I read you wrong. If I was lumped in, then help me understand how a person goes about having a different opinion without "mucking up civil discussion", because it sounds like you're saying that people should only speak glowingly of all things at all times.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
So speaking of what I experienced firsthand and expressing my own reservations about the implementation is "pure FUD", flexing, and mucking up a civil discussion?

If I wasn't lumped in with your statement, then I guess I read you wrong. If I was lumped in, then help me understand how a person goes about having a different opinion without "mucking up civil discussion", because it sounds like you're saying that people should only speak glowingly of all things at all times.
I think you might be over-reacting to his post that places responsibility directly on the operator. Of course, there will be abuse of technology. That's been going on for decades, but it's not possible to improve personal responsibility by limiting the implementation of new features.

I will let ST Gui respond more specifically to to his post about FUD, but. IMO, technology serves us, we don't (or shouldn't) be subservient to it.

Bike
2005 st1300
then help me understand how a person goes about having a different opinion without "mucking up civil discussion", because it sounds like you're saying that people should only speak glowingly of all things at all times.
At the same time, you seem to be saying that because of your bad experiences with ACC, which noone has minimalized or disputed, it should be scrapped right now
Amazing the amount of R&D money being spent and technology that's being created to remove even the slightest burden of responsibility from motorists.

All this ACC technology can be rendered meaningless by simply not tailgating people!
This is such a simplistic quote. ACC is not just removing the burden of responsibility, it is helping responsible drivers when in the presence of bad drivers. Also, you make it sound like everyone is tailgating and if they just stop, all will be well... LOL

Everyday single and multiple pileups occur due to inattentive drivers. While I agree there will be malfunctions of any electronics I still think on the whole the number of participants in this type of crash will net lower as more vehicles are equipped with following distance monitoring.
THIS...

I was going north the other night and thought of this very thread. I was on a 2-lane very hilly road, speed limit 80 kph. I was doing 90, as I usually do. I came up on a line of cars doing what I thought was 80. I kicked my truck off cruise and was stuck behind this group for 20 miles as the lead car fluctuated between 80 and 100 kph. I started out with a safe distance as did a few of the others when suddenly, we were bunching up. The car up front sped up and we spread out. Suddenly, we were bunching up again. This accordian effect continued like this for what seemed an eternity. Because it takes a few seconds to realize the car ahead was slowing, especially at night, without brake lights, it was difficult to not creep up on the car ahead. Add more cars, the effect seemed to grow. As a rule, I dont tailgate, but I did on more than one occaision that drive. ACC , working properly would have did the job for me and much better and freed my mind to concentrate on other things to make the drive safer.
Above, Dave referred to it as "following distance monitoring"... a little simpler but possibly a more accurate description of the real benefit of ACC
I will say it again, I wouldnt think I would need it on a bike as I would have disposed of that traffic in short order. I wouldnt mind cruise to give my hand a break once in a while, but I dont really miss it either but , again, that is just my thoughts

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
My 2020 Honda Accord follows way too close at 80 mph on the interstate when on ACC. No way is it anywhere near 8 car lengths like it should be at that speed. Just one more reason that I keep it turned off.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Im not over-reacting to anything. I'm seeking clarification. I even stated that if I misunderstood, then that was on me.
I misread your desire for clarification. I'm interested to see a response to your post from St Gui. But I stand by my comments that technology should serve us and not the other way around.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
No because you actually had firsthand experience and articulated it. Expressing reservations is nothing like condemning something out of hand for others where others' use cases might make all the difference in viability. I think you know full well that there are many examples here where that is obviously not the case. And there will continue to be more. That's FUD, flexing, and mucking up a civil conversation.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
No because you actually had firsthand experience and articulated it. Expressing reservations is nothing like condemning something out of hand for others where others' use cases might make all the difference in viability... That's FUD, flexing, and mucking up a civil conversation.
Thanks for clarifying. As they say, you don't know until you ask.

Top Bottom