add one trailer to the STable

With a 1 wheel tail dragger you can make the length from the hitch to the wheel anything you need. I have seen georges and the one I made is a bit longer. From what he said his tows about the same as mine. Like its almost not there..

The biggest diffrence I could see between the 2 was George has no suspention on the trailer. I wonder if that is the cause of his lic plate falling off 2 times so far. Also he went with an open pan and I used a cargo box.

Dave, I too suspect the "no suspension" has something to do with losing the plate and a couple other things. Fur instance, each time I open the tool box, I find the adjust screw in the Vice grips not in the Vice Grips. :D

Also lost a bolt from the hitch yesterday but doubt it's the same reason as that's all sprung weight on the bike.

No problems at all with my load as most of it is pretty soft. We'll see on the way home as I'll also be lugging STanley's (nee ReSTored) rear wheel. Replacement ABS rear is in transit, currently in Memphis at customs.

Need to do another change, fender washers inside the tool box. A little worried with vibration and plastic, the screw heads might work thru. Kreis suggested this originally but couldn't find his stash of fender washers at the time. STraycatt's sub-division backs up to an ACE, I'm headed that way now.

Anyone else need anything while I'm out? :D

Take off that stupid wind catching vibration inducing bike flag !!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave, I too suspect the "no suspension" has something to do with losing the plate and a couple other things. Fur instance, each time I open the tool box, I find the adjust screw in the Vice grips not in the Vice Grips. :D

Also lost a bolt from the hitch yesterday but doubt it's the same reason as that's all sprung weight on the bike.

No problems at all with my load as most of it is pretty soft. We'll see on the way home as I'll also be lugging STanley's (nee ReSTored) rear wheel. Replacement ABS rear is in transit, currently in Memphis at customs.

Need to do another change, fender washers inside the tool box. A little worried with vibration and plastic, the screw heads might work thru. Kreis suggested this originally but couldn't find his stash of fender washers at the time. STraycatt's sub-division backs up to an ACE, I'm headed that way now.

Anyone else need anything while I'm out? :D

George, if you want when you get home pm me and I can send you the plans for what I did for suspention on my 1 wheeler. From what I remember of yours I think it could be adapted with a bit of welding and a few parts.

No doubt, Dave but I agree with Kreis, suspension is probably not really needed.

Gene, I can't see any of the trailing trailer without that flag but I'll try as you suggest and see if it makes any diff.

Kreis, any comments?

I checked out the album and the pictures are all great. I'd like to see how the hitch fastens to the bike both top and bottom points.

Anyone know of any pictures of that? For an ST1300 would be even better.

Raymond

You guys could save a lot of typing if you just asked the builder instead of the buyer , he don't bite or cuss !
Posted via Mobile Device

I checked out the album and the pictures are all great. I'd like to see how the hitch fastens to the bike both top and bottom points.

Anyone know of any pictures of that? For an ST1300 would be even better.

Raymond

With the 1300 being an alum frame I went with a unigo hitch. I was not sure what to bolt to so that is the route I took.

1 word of caution I will give though. If you buy or build your hitch and go with a 1 wheel be careful. Many hitches I have seen are fine for a 2 wheel trailer but may not be up the the task of handling the twist a 1 wheel can inpart on the hitch.

If anyone here wants plans to the 1 wheeler I designed and built all you need to do is send me your email addy.

Dave you got some pictures to share ?

This is the only one I have on line.

ST_Trailer.JPG

You don't have a flag .where's your flag ? That would look great if you sunk the wheel into the box . what brand box is that ?

Looks like some are using suspension and some solid. There is a really slick alternative to typical suspensions. I built a big trailer with 2-6,000lb. axles and used something called Dexter Torflex axles. Slick! No springs, no shocks, no shackles, etc. I know there are models made as low as 600lb. capacity for a pair. That means 300lb per single. Might just work. I looked briefly for just the ends without an axle tube. Here is a picture although these are 2,000lb.

Torflex type axles

and

Dexter Blurb

You don't have a flag .where's your flag ? That would look great if you sunk the wheel into the box . what brand box is that ?

Ding Ding Ding Dinky wins the prize. Dave sent his plans to me and he used the #224222 axle. He had to do a little tweeking on it but not too much. It uses the same hub and 1" I.D. bearings that Kries's plans use. I don't know that suspension is a must but I kind of like the idea. The axle comes in pairs so if any one has the second one left over from a project please let me know.

Flag??? I don't need no stinking flag!!!!.. LOL:D

Yea it would look better but with only an 8CF box you would loose alot of room. The box it a Thule side kick.

Looks like some are using suspension and some solid. There is a really slick alternative to typical suspensions. I built a big trailer with 2-6,000lb. axles and used something called Dexter Torflex axles. Slick! No springs, no shocks, no shackles, etc. I know there are models made as low as 600lb. capacity for a pair. That means 300lb per single. Might just work. I looked briefly for just the ends without an axle tube. Here is a picture although these are 2,000lb.

Torflex type axles

That is what I have no my design. They come in a 500# pair, so at 250 each with the 4 inches I added, I figure about 170# rating now. Oh and it works great.

Why is it long between the box and hitch??? It looks like it could be 1 ft shorter,,, ride quality???

You are correct, it could be shorter. I thought the same thing when I first hooked it up. But so far it works so well I hate to mess with it.

That is what I have on my design. They come in a 500# pair, so at 250 each with the 4 inches I added, I figure about 170# rating now. Oh and it works great.

Dave, please post more detailed pics, I'm interested in yur suspension set up.

Need to forward this link to Kreis, at 2-fer prices, that axle is pretty cheap and doesn't take up any more room than the solid axle he's currently using.

Doesn't mean I'd change mine, maybe sell it and get the "next generation" if it happens. No hurry, I'm happy as is, jus' sayin'.

Back
Top Bottom