After 30 years of motorcycles, I just rode my first Harley....

Bike
99 ST1100
I got nuthin' against Harley's. Truly, to each their own. (although a little quieter all around would be okay with me)

For me? I want Smooth, Quiet and Fast. I guess as far as Harley's are concerned I just don't get it.

Coop, everybody else keeps thinkin' about ice cream? I'm thinkin' about naked women!

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
I got nuthin' against Harley's. Truly, to each their own. (although a little quieter all around would be okay with me)

For me? I want Smooth, Quiet and Fast. I guess as far as Harley's are concerned I just don't get it.........
I used to love the sound of my v-twin sportbikes when I put an exhaust on them, but, like yourself, I prefer a quiet bike. A stock Harley isn't that loud at all and most of our customers are shocked by how quiet they are......... which is usually followed by the comment of how it doesn't sound like a Harley. The loud exhaust thing is definitely an owner thing in the same way a lot of us are pro ATGATT. It's really ingrained into the lifestyle and will take time to change it for the better. I do my best to properly "educate" our customers when I get the chance. When the "loud pipes save lives" argument gets brought up, I'm quick to point out that if their exhaust is a weapon, it's pointed in the wrong direction. I say that as a funny to them but hit them with the serious bit that most cars today are designed to block out a lot of outside noise. Add cellphones and 6 billion watt stereo systems and the audio war has just been lost. I then suggest headlight modulators, LED lighting, and aux lighting to win the visual war. I then suggest louder horns and louder apparel. Because most still want the exhaust note, I sell them on the street legal Screaming Eagle pipes that give the bike a bit of growl without the annoying midnight bark that annoys the neighbors. :D:D :D:D

BleST

Bill S T
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
That would be 1965....not 1968....which means it was somewhere between 46 and 63 years old. When was the last time you saw ANY 1965 Jap bike being ridden daily?......I know the answer or I would not have asked the question.
Good point. I know of a few BMWs that old - wait, you said Japanese made.. nevermind! I do like that (most? of the) Harleys on the road are US made too. But I must ride what I like and I don't knock others for doing the same. Ride safe all! on whatever floats or shakes your boattom:hat2::hat2: .:biker:

Bike
99 ST1100
I really think I get the Harley appeal. It's Torque. Plain and simple.

Spent a couple hours on Sunday on a buddy's 1100 Shadow Sabre. I know that's Not really an H-D but it's a similar approach.

Lot's of things I didn't like - vibration, Noise (had after-market Vance and Hines pipes that are Stupid Loud), handling, etc, etc, etc.

But what I did like was the Torque. Lots of torque! Just roll on the throttle and go...Now.

I would never want a bike like that to Replace my ST, but I could see having one in the "stable" just to ride now and then.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
My buddy has a '09 Road King that I have ridden a few times. He has the 103 upgrade and I don't know how many other extras, but it's a bunch. He used to have a '96 RK that was all hopped up and decked out too. It didn't do anything for me either. I just don't get the cruiser style whether it's HD or metric? It's not for me.
As to not seeing old Japanese bikes on the road, I see plenty of '70's and '80's models still out there running strong.

Bike
2006 ST1300
On this thread, one time I recall reading an interesting statistic...47% of the Harleys ever built are still licensed and on the road, and 84% of the BMW's ever built are still licensed and on the road. I can't say the same for Japanese bikes, but then again, they got in the game late.

And what is it with the "American Icon" designation, since they are no longer made in America? ( a goodly percentage of the castings, etc, as well as electronics are made "offshore", and assembled here) . I don't get it, but, to each their own. I wave to everyone, EVEN if I get snubbed....

I laugh every time I see the words "Shiny Cattle".

BDonald

R.I.P. - 2014/10/15
Rest In Peace
Bike
'12 Wing
On this thread, one time I recall reading an interesting statistic...47% of the Harleys ever built are still licensed and on the road, and 84% of the BMW's ever built are still licensed and on the road. I can't say the same for Japanese bikes, but then again, they got in the game late.

And what is it with the "American Icon" designation, since they are no longer made in America? ( a goodly percentage of the castings, etc, as well as electronics are made "offshore", and assembled here) . I don't get it, but, to each their own. I wave to everyone, EVEN if I get snubbed....

I laugh every time I see the words "Shiny Cattle".
The end of the sentence ....still on the road...THE REST MADE IT HOME.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I've been known to occasionally bash Harleys.....well actually a lot but after riding my brothers brand new Tour Glide I find myself quite smitten! That new frame makes a hell of a difference. You're not going to canyon carve with it but I'd have to say it could be called a sport touring motorcycle if you took the floorboards off.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
You'ld be surprised at some of the old Japanese bikes still running in some of the Asian countries... and I do mean old.

There are alot of cruiser converts as well as current HD and metric owners on this site.

John

R.I.P. - 2024/01/22
Rest In Peace
Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
There are alot of cruiser converts as well as current HD and metric owners on this site.

Amen to that.

If you don't like 'em, don't bother throwing your leg over one..... and let everyone else ride what they choose. I own and ride an ST and a HD Heritage Classic. Somehow, I have fun and enjoy myself on both.

Follow

TEAM COLORADO
Bike
Two wheels
STOC #
You'ld be surprised at some of the old Japanese bikes still running in some of the Asian countries... and I do mean old.

I'm one of them,:) I love both my bikes and they get equal road time, I don't want to dissapoint either one of them......I'm just now wanting:D the dirt bike, gosh they are fun!

I've been known to occasionally bash Harleys.....well actually a lot but after riding my brothers brand new Tour Glide I find myself quite smitten! That new frame makes a hell of a difference. You're not going to canyon carve with it but I'd have to say it could be called a sport touring motorcycle if you took the floorboards off.
I think HD's next bike should be called Tour Glide, has a good ring to it;). Your Brothers bike must be either a Road Glide or Street Glide, if it has the stationary fairing like the ST in would be the Road Glide and if it has the Batwings it would be the street Glide, Hubby and I have both and we love all our bikes.:)

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
My wife was real pissed off with me when I bought the Honda.

"Gosh Darn it" she said, "Now I cant buy the cool clothing."

I explained to her that she could wear anything she wanted to on the back of the bike as long as was either leather or Armoured,had full sleeves and touched the tip of her boots...

"Yeah, but I'm gonna look like an freaking idiot in black leather sitting behind you in your Red Tourmaster. "

"So" I said, "wear what you want"....

2 weekends ago 8 bikes left Covington to attend a 9/11 charity ride. 6 Harley Big twins of various nomenclature, 1 Kawasaki Nomad and my ST. We left Athens heading north towards Hiawasse within a Sea of almost 900 motorcycles. None of the bikes on that ride had mechanical problems, none in our group had any problems.....Everyone in our group always dismounted their bikes painlessly and sporting thier best Cheshire Cat immitations....

Of course, the sport bikers were all bunched up in the middle and how they road them things at 40 mph for over 40 miles is beyond my comprehension. They just aint made to go that slow for that long.....Most of them and their passengers were visibly wincing at the end of the ride and walking off cramps and bad BUA syndrome(burning up arse)

But they were all friendly and they all said that they had fun.

Books wine and people should never be judged by sight and motorcycles have always been an "eye of the beholder" item.

The biggest reason I was gonna buy the Triumph when this bike search started was because I was tired of polishing plastic and didnt care for the C-14. Then I got a good look at the Triumph and it was all Ill fitting plastic and almost the same price of the HD.

The reason I bought the Honda is because of the little voice in my head which said " BUY IT NOW" upon gazing at my girl in the showroom window.

You cant help what you fall in love with, the heart wants what the heart wants and you ignore it at your own Peril.

And none of the 12 people on those 6 Harleys gave a schitt what my wife was wearing, what bike we drove up on OR what the country of origin was of the parts of the bikes they rode up on....

All 16 of us were there to support a cause and find a grin.

Present company accepted.

Bike
Honda ST1300
I myself about two weeks ago transported my cousins brand new 2012 Harley swtichback from Edmonton to qualicum beach (about 1500kms or 1000miles of mountainous terrain)
all i can say is, it was the worst ride of my life. I hated the seating position, it had no get up and go (esp. for a 1700cc engine), vibrated at speeds when revving between 3000-3500rpm(lugged below 2500 and sounding like a sport bike at 4000 or higher).
I was, however, surprised about how well it did handle travelling at 140-150km/h around turns. I was also surprised it barely got dirty considering i went through snow, rain, and wet construction zones.
Overall, If i have any say i will never ride a harley again unless they made a bike that was actually competitive, in all aspects, with a 'wing or ST....but they never will

Bike
2005 ST1300
A little unfair..

Riding "A" Harley and painting the WHOLE model line with that single brush stroke is like getting on a Honda Silverwing (or any Honda model) and saying 'I rode A Honda' and didnt like it.

I bet you'd have a different impression of Harleys if you got on a V-Rod (not slow) or an Ultra Glide (very comfy). I think it comes down to an impression based on a particular model without saying I'm not impressed with 'Harley'. I am sure in they are fine for each mission a particular model is designed for. (They probably dont blend or bleed as much from touring/performance as the Japanese/German makes do etc)

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300A 2006
The ONLY reason the bike was that loud was because your buddy modified it. You know...those Vance/Hines or whatever he replaced the stock EPA/FED exhaust system with. Don't blame H-D for that.

Also, the engine on your guys bike is rubber mounted, so it will vibrate at idle...you really need to ride a NORTON...then sit in traffic and you will know what real vibration is all about. Take one of the counter balanced soft-tails out and try that. I did and it made the BMW feel like a buzz saw.

But you know what I've noticed....every Japanese brand has a Harley clone. Honda even named their first one the 'SHADOW'. What you may ask was it a shadow of? A Sportster. I thought they should have called it the pseudo, but hey, that's just my vocabulary. What I don't see is Harley building a UJM. You might also ask yourself what is the largest selling brand for the 34 and under crowd........you got it. H-D.

You don't have to like them. But when you BMC about one that has been modified and you don't like the mods, put that on the guy who changed it from stock.

Hi: A couple of corrections.... 1) The bike I rode was a Stock Harley Sportster 1200 2) The "Chopper" I mentioned was owned/built by a friend, and was used as an example....I did not ride that bike (and most people wouldn't try!). 3) I agree that Honda has tried to copy H-D (a logical move if you are the largest motorcycle manufacture in the world....something for everyone). 4) I don't care personally for ANY Cruiser style bike....just a mater of personal taste, and that doesn't mean I can't celebrate a great tool for getting out and feeling the breeze and seeing the country that many fine people enjoy. 5) I never BMC'ed about H-Ds (but I did poke fun at the noise and vibrations)...Like I said, to each their own if you read my entire string of comments. 6) If my son came home with an H-D I wouldn't disown him (or if he announced he was gay or dating an Martian). To each their own. Happy riding and safe journey to you and all those of us who travel on two wheels. Cheers (and Peace) from Brad in Duluth

Bike
'07 ST1300
I too rode a Harley for the first time a year or so ago, after about 35 years of riding. It was an Electraglide Ultra Classic. With the wife in tow it was a blast around town, very smooth with good ergonomics and comfort. OK I was really surprised, being a long time Harley basher. HOWEVER, on the freeway at 75, giving it the gas resulted in nothing at all. Just a little louder and, after what seemed like an eternity, the speedo crawled up to 80. The sales man said I just needed to downshift is all. Now this is a $26k large displacement (1530cc?) bike. So.. bottom line, if it had twice the HP and half the price tag I would have bought it then and there!

Bill

Top Bottom