After 30 years of motorcycles, I just rode my first Harley....

Bike
Honda ST1300
in my case, my dad joined me with one of the 2012 glides, which are supposed to be a touring bike. He's ridden an 85 gold wing for the last 5 years and he says he experienced the same problem(s).....i don't think it's a matter of riding each model harley puts out...bottom line the are all cruiser style bikes with more or less wind protection and slightly different suspension.
The bike i rode is supposed to be a touring bike that in a few minutes can be transformed into a city cruiser....Considering it cost 4 times more than the boulevard i had, and has 2X the engine volume, it was way worse than it. The only positive thing it has on the boulevard i used to own, is that it could run efficiently at speeds over 120km/h.
But hey, to each their own. And in my case Harleys are a nice looking showroom bike

Bike
2012 Road Glide Ultr
STOC #
The sales man said I just needed to downshift is all. Now this is a $26k large displacement (1530cc?) bike. So.. bottom line, if it had twice the HP and half the price tag I would have bought it then and there!

Bill
Here are a few things I found going from Goldwings (had 3) and the ST to Harleys: Like any other new bike, you have to get used to its systems and position of everything, including me... On the Sportster 1200C, it took some time to get used to the forward controls. On the Road King, its pretty much like a Wing with the running boards. At idle, they shake, that is intended and one of the things Hog owners want. Just open the throttle a little and the vibration and shake are gone. You also have to get used to not having a 4 or 6 short throw small cylinders, shaft driven smoothness. After getting the Sporty dyno tuned with a stage one, I went back to my mechanic and said I thought it hesitated at higher speeds. He immediately told me it was going from the V4, I was used to a different machine, these are big fat long stroke cylinders, you have to rev it up more and don't be in 5th or sixth gear unless it is time for it. Its a matter of getting used to it. I can also tell you all that when you do get used to it, with a properly tuned big V-Twin, the torque is very flat and it will pull you strong past 3 digits. As for comfort, riding position, etc, lets face it, as long as I've read posts on this wonderful site, let us all remember that some of the re-occuring subjects are: High speed wobble (not every one experiences it) Uncomfortable seats, bar risers, heated grips, and this or that farkle... Not much different from any other bike for us nut jobs ride, now is it?? If you don't like a cruiser, you won't like most Harleys, but if you want a powerful little machine, go try the 1200 XR (especially with a race kit) and bring your big boy pants... We had a Harley demo ride this past Sunday, after leading 10 groups, I tried a trike, never had tried one; well, its different, sure is comfortable, not my thing, but it fits some styles of riding or riders.
Harley Davidson is the 4th most known brand on the planet... They have had their ups and downs, but they have a following and as Adam was saying, that crowd is changing somewhat and Kudo's to Harley for catering to the growing number of women riders. They put out several low and low-low bikes. Their clothing line is of good quality, in general (and saved their bacon $$), not all of it is my thing, I don't like the 4 or 6" spike (or risers) boots for women and other stuff, but they sell the :pie1::pie1::pie1::pie1: out of it. Good or bad, folks love them bikes!! Look at all the decals on the cars and trucks out there, letting every one know what thy ride, how many Honda tattoos out there?? You know, what ever floats your boat and lets not forget that we are, for the most part, out there for the same reason: Enjoying life and making friends on 2 wheels.
Demo rides exist to let us try stuff, BMW have'em, Ducati have'em, etc. Go try all you can, enjoy what you ride and keep the rubber side down...
JD

Top Bottom