After years of procrastinating

Bike
2007 ST1300
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an mccruise cruise control system today for the ST1300. I have managed without it for years but as I get older I would like to have one for the longer trips.
I don't see any install articles for this style cruise control on the site so maybe I can throw one together as I install it, although the directions pretty much cover everything.

Now the wait begins, currently they are out of servos and orders are backing up- according to the owner.
It may be early May before I see it in the mail.
As long as I can get it installed before NATSTOC, I will be happy.
If anyone has any install tips and potential pitfalls or advice ahead of time it will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ST-Traveler
Bike
2007 ST1300
Hi UP,
On the 1300 it will be located RS front faring behind the headlight area, from what I can tell on the instructions they mailed to me.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hi UP,
On the 1300 it will be located RS front faring behind the headlight area, from what I can tell on the instructions they mailed to me.
That's good - I had to fab a special bracket and put it the left side canted down just missing the ABS electronics.
I was the first person in the world to install their new 'electronic' servo on a ST1100 and I send them the pattern of the bracket.
I spent a lot of time 'back and forth' with them during the process - they were great to respond.
But it works really smooth - a bit smoother than the vacuum version I have on the other 3 ST1100s and they are pretty smooth.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I saved about $1K by installing the Rostra unit on my Nighthawk, as compared to the MCCruise setup.

I haven't installed the one I got for my ST yet, but I eventually will.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an mccruise cruise control system today for the ST1300. I have managed without it for years but as I get older I would like to have one for the longer trips.
I don't see any install articles for this style cruise control on the site so maybe I can throw one together as I install it, although the directions pretty much cover everything.

Now the wait begins, currently they are out of servos and orders are backing up- according to the owner.
It may be early May before I see it in the mail.
As long as I can get it installed before NATSTOC, I will be happy.
If anyone has any install tips and potential pitfalls or advice ahead of time it will be greatly appreciated.
You will love it, and kick yourself for not buying it sooner.
Installation tip : Carefully follow the excellent instructions, Mark off each step as you do it, and don't rush.
If you do have a problem, email or call them - they will get back to you quickly. Great support.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
It all depends on the exchange rate at the time of purchase. If you saved $1,000, the MCCruise must have been $1,200 or more at the time.
It was at least that much in $US when I last compared the cost. I was more than happy to "pay" myself that much to do my own adapting. The rest of the installation has to be done either way.

Flexit

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Site Supporter
Bike
1990 1100L + Sidecar
STOC #
I've got an old one (2001) on the Outfit. Been totally reliable, but I didn't fit it. My local Honda dealer had (and still has) a mechanic who looks after my beast. But to echo others, their support is great. When I was fiddling with the front forks I managed to break the control on the handlebars. An email to Australia and they dug out one from the back of the stores and was with me, in the UK, in 3 days!

OP
OP
ST-Traveler
Bike
2007 ST1300
Got 1/2 of the install done tonight. (plastic, air box removed, servo mounted, CIU (cable interface unit with all the cables routed to it) installed, Throttle cables oiled)
I put the oil in the throttle cables from the top and did a gravity feed, I wanted to get the oil to drip out the other end so it took longer than I thought, but all lubed up now.
Will go with handle bar switch, computer and wire harness install tomorrow.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Would you mind describing the installation of the CIU? Does it mount to the carb wheel, or "float" in space,, and you only have to access the cable ends?

Top Bottom