After years of procrastinating

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
You ride an ST1300 ... and such quality is not being cheap. So why cheap out on the CC?
I tried the cheap CC route ... twice ... and learned it was a big waste of time and $$$.
Only because I have read all of the 17 pages of the original Rostra install thread, well not "only."
Also because I have faith that with that thread, my determination, and the invaluable assistance of those still here who have done it, that I can, as well.
And, either I enjoy a challenge... or I'm a glutton for punishment.
Lastly, the $400 or more I save with the Rostra, will pay for replacing my 20-year-old Widder electric clothes with Warm-n-Safe. (Winter is Coming, with apologies to Game of Thrones.)
Now, lastly last, your very own sig line (which I admire and just copied into my Quotes file) tells me "Everything works out in the end. If it's not working, you're not at the end."
Were your first 2 attempts with an electronic cc, or with the older vacuum technology? Which brand did you try? Just curious.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Were your first 2 attempts with an electronic cc, or with the older vacuum technology? Which brand did you try? Just curious.
Both efforts were with the Audiovox vacuum CC units. They worked "OK" (not great) for a while each time, but both eventually failed. The McCruise works very well, very smooth and seamless operation. Pressing the increase/decrease buttons will change MPH one at a time ... no more holding and waiting for the vacuum. Some things are just worth paying more money to have because you pay for it once. I like once and done. We gain experience through our mistakes, thus, I'm very experienced. And I'm done experimenting with the vacuum CC units.
If you're he!!-bent on making the Rostra work, I wish you luck.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
On the ST1100, the Clutch 'switch' has 2 wires.
On the MCCruise, you pigtail into one of them.
If you pick the wrong wire to pigtail to, it won't work.
It is a safety feature that turns off the MCCruise if you pull in the clutch before you hit the brakes.
IIRC, the MCCruise also has a wire to pigtail to the coils to detect high RPMs so it turns off the MCCruise.
Yeah, one of those wires goes to ground and the other does not and both are black so you can't tell them apart without testing with a multimeter or a continuity light. By default you need to connect their wire to the one that does not connect to ground with the sidestand, up and the transmission in gear.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Both efforts were with the Audiovox vacuum CC units. They worked "OK" (not great) for a while each time, but both eventually failed. The McCruise works very well, very smooth and seamless operation. Pressing the increase/decrease buttons will change MPH one at a time ... no more holding and waiting for the vacuum. Some things are just worth paying more money to have because you pay for it once. I like once and done. We gain experience through our mistakes, thus, I'm very experienced. And I'm done experimenting with the vacuum CC units.
If you're he!!-bent on making the Rostra work, I wish you luck.
Cool. Not sure whether you are aware, but the Rostra is NOT another vacuum-operated cruise control. It's electronic.
And with all things ST, several (like more than a couple) geniuses (genii?) on this forum have already bled, sweated, and cried to sort it all out, debug it, improve it, and make it work for us.
I'm familiar with the pluses, the convenience, and the overall excitement here from those who have installed the MC Cruise. But four hunnert bucks it four hunnert bucks, at least in my world.
Hell, that's at least gas, lodging and eats for another couple of STOC events!

Last edited:

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks @hoowasat for softening up @Sadlsor for me.

I looked at the Rostra too and there is just too much fabri-cobbling needed to make that system work. I'm not a fan of dinking around with critical control components like my FI linkages, especially when they're buried deep in the innards of the bike. I shudder to imagine any of those mechanisms failing in the middle of a big trip leaving me without the CC or worse jamming the stock components rendering them non-functional, or stuck at a large throttle opening.

Someone mentioned automated robots causing nighmares in a different thread today. Naaahhh... Pages 5 through 9 of that Rostra install guide give me nightmares. It's one thing if this were 1995 and polished packages were unheard of. That's not the case. I'm a good fabricator and have access to machine shops and materials, but I don't want what I see there in my throttle system.

I truly make an effort not to spend someone else's money; that's awfully presumptuous, but I can't count the number of times I've thought when I'm freezing on the trail that, "I wish I spent the extra $40 for the warmer sleeping bag", or "Maybe there's a reason that rainsuit cost $150 that makes it better than this K-mart special that's leaking like a sieve."

Final plug for MC Cruise. They sell a complete product. And though I'm a customer of all of one week, I see that they stand behind it and offer service, support and spare parts or all the way up to replacement. I'm not sure what you can expect from Rostra after it's in your motorcycle.

I wish you the best @Sadlsor if you go that route.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks. This project won't be this month or next, I need to update my 'lectric gear so I don't freeze on the roads this season. (Speaking of "warmer.")
I get what you both are saying, and I do actually use that philosophy, and share it with others: You only cry once when you buy the good stuff.
Or something like that. So I appreciate your input, and know you have my best interests at heart. <group hug> Which reminds me, those hi-zoot Throttlemeisters aren't a whole lot cheaper than this Rostra cc, and if they were still available as new, I would jump on that. Next best thing, even if it is "just" a friction lock. Loved it on the Blackbird, as well as on a 650GS.
The Rostra DOES look intimidating as hell, but once sorted, the consensus is the owners are happy with it. And I haven't seen much about them crapping out after a season or two.
In the end, I appreciate the warnings (yes, I have been warned), but I also do appreciate a challenge, as stated... at least when I come out on the victorious end. <GRIN>
We shall see, eh?

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
but I also do appreciate a challenge, as stated
The Rostra is a challenge, having said that, it can be relatively easy to install if the proper prep is done. If you can get your hands on the McCruise install manual, that covers most of it except for the throttle interface. You can make up a loom with the wiring provided by Rostra. Adding a relay for the brake circuit is advisable. Really secure the activator right off the bat. I did a temporary install and it moved a bit and that’s what caused me grief in trouble shooting it later.
oh yes the set button is different on the MCCruis, they use a set/ACC instead of set/de-accelerate.
the Rostrais working well for me now.

Top Bottom