Alaska 2023

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Just got my x-ray results - no breaks, cracks, or lung damage - for which I am thankful.
So I guess I'm not broke, just badly bent - I think the medical term is 'multiple contusions'. :biggrin:
The worse part of it is I have to behave for a while til I get over it ... :think1:
But the meds are working as I am starting to get some sleep now.
Thanks for your concerns and prayers.
Poor BlueBelle is in my shop as I am going over what all needs to be repaired - and the list grows.
I typically suffer from multiple confusions.
Daily, even, with no crashes, bounces, wrecks or physical trauma.
You don't have to "behave", that's different than actual physical exertion.
Still praying -- more birthdays often equals more healing and recovery time required.
Repairs are one thing -- what about the cleaning? How bad was the cal-chlor on the "highway"?

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
No cal-chlor where I went - just nasty slick mud.
The Top of the World Highway was in better shape than the Yukon highway 'destruction'.
BlueBelle is gonna need a new exhaust system as it busted the right pipes just as they go into the collector.
But I've got a brand new Delkevic exhaust in Uncle Phil's Parts House so it will just be some work in Uncle Phil's Repair Shop.
Plus both mirror covers are toast, both saddlebag lids, tipover wing covers, and various other odds & ends.
At this point, I would not recommend riding to Alaska on a street bike since there is no way around the Yukon construction.
And the Yukon DOT seems to be intent on making it as dangerous as possible.
Dual-sports will probably be okay unless you are running true street tires.
It's not the gravel or the potholes - it's the wetted down clay that is so dangerous.
And you never know when they will send the tanker truck in front of the pilot car to 'fix' things ... :mad:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
It's not the gravel or the potholes - it's the wetted down clay that is so dangerous.
And you never know when they will send the tanker truck in front of the pilot car to 'fix' things ... :mad:
Yeah, I've always struggled in mud, with any bike, on any tires.
Hope to address that skillset deficit with the GSA.
(I know, right? 700lb leviathan in slippery deep clay... what could possibly go wrong?)
The slick red clay is a challenge, but I can still improve a bit for sure. But not necessarily on the ST. We don't go there on that bike.

Reactions: Tor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Especially when you are led into a rut that's axle deep and filled with wet mud ... :mad:
Perhaps as you recline on the sofa while mending, you can type a nice, thoughtful letter to Alaskas' DOT, and share your thoughts.
Perhaps the female pilot is a 20th century feminist, and saw an opportunity to wield power.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Perhaps as you recline on the sofa while mending, you can type a nice, thoughtful letter to Alaskas' DOT, and share your thoughts.
Perhaps the female pilot is a 20th century feminist, and saw an opportunity to wield power.
It would be the Yukon DOT but I figure it's be a little bit like spitting into the wind ... ;)
It is interesting that the US customs agent (when he asked me what happened - busted up bike) said it could have been on purpose.
But I will give her the benefit of the doubt and assume it was ignorance, carelessness, sheer stupidity or perhaps a lot of all three. :think1:

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Starting to do a little bit of 'refurb' on poor BlueBelle - she took quite the beating on the roads up there.
Biggest issue is replacing the exhaust system as it was broken from the continuous rough roads right at a joint.
She was beginning to identify as a Harley with her loud pipes! ;)
Besides, I've got to do something between medicated naps ... :biggrin:

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Did you have any opportunity to just pull over and let her get up the road a bit so you wouldn't be right behind her?

Hope you feel better soon.
No, she refused to continue unless I was behind her.
And I was at the head of the line which would have held everybody else up.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
No, she refused to continue unless I was behind her.
And I was at the head of the line which would have held everybody else up.
I meant letting a bunch of others go by ahead of you, so somebody else was behind her. I suspect that wasn't a good option either.
What a weird, unfortunate situation.

Top Bottom