Alaska 2023

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I know I'm not the only one going up there next year( @oude geit ). I spoke live with a few members about the journey and only came to one conclusion, do it.

One great piece of advice was to go slow, take your time, don't hurry and don't force it. Another was go to the Arctic Circle, then decide if your going to Prudhoe Bay, I will follow both.

I post this to ask the members here, who went this year and what unpaved roads you encountered, as well as anything else you wish to share?

Previous years trips are also welcomed, the more information the better. Please include the year you went so we can determine paved road and gas station status.

I will head out from PHL in July and go through the Michigan, then diagonally across Canada 1, 16, and 43. On the way back I'll drop into Washington to run the Cascade Highway (my favorite so far).

Looking forward to hearing your experiences.

Bike
2010 ST1300
There are more than a few descriptions of this trip online. I remember reading of some kids who drove up there in a Honda Civic. No doubt there are many travelogs of bikers too. Do a google search.

My understanding of roads is dont trust any of them. They can fall apart quick, anywhere. Hence finding someone to follow...or just cruise easy.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Start here.

He has a wealth of info about Alaska. When done with that, you will be able to ask better questions.
I rode from PA to AK in '18 on a 650 VStrom. Denali Highway is often overlooked as a route to ride.....and it is NOT the road into Denali National Park!
Watch the last month or so of Itchy Boots youtube videos.
It's a ride anybody can safely do.....IF.
If you take your time.
If you let your ego at home.
If you know Mother Nature is in control.
Also, Alaska may be the destination, but there's a shitload of sights to see getting there and back
2 months, average ~300-350 miles a day.....done!

Bike
R1200rt
I would like to do Alaska also but was I watched /read about The road to Prudhoe doesn't seem to be scenic and the pavement or lack of looks to be a disaster waiting to happen without off road tires. Lord knows what the cost would be to get the bike towed out of there. There is so much more to see

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I would like to do Alaska also but was I watched /read about The road to Prudhoe doesn't seem to be scenic and the pavement or lack of looks to be a disaster waiting to happen without off road tires. Lord knows what the cost would be to get the bike towed out of there. There is so much more to see
Just don't go that far, ride it. My goal is to have the only regret of nothing to lament.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Start here.

He has a wealth of info about Alaska. When done with that, you will be able to ask better questions.
I rode from PA to AK in '18 on a 650 VStrom. Denali Highway is often overlooked as a route to ride.....and it is NOT the road into Denali National Park!
Watch the last month or so of Itchy Boots youtube videos.
It's a ride anybody can safely do.....IF.
If you take your time.
If you let your ego at home.
If you know Mother Nature is in control.
Also, Alaska may be the destination, but there's a shitload of sights to see getting there and back
2 months, average ~300-350 miles a day.....done!
Thank you, that was great read.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My trips there -

Uncle Phil - Alaska 2004
Uncle Phil - Alaska 2012
Uncle Phil - Canada 2013 (But Alaska Also)

And hopefully one more trip next year to see some stuff I haven't seen and put my 4th ST1100 at a Alaska State Line Sign.

The 'big' deal to me on doing the haul road is the calcium chloride that can get into every crevice of the bike.
I don't care to damage my ST1100s intentionally! ;)
And the challenge of not ruining a tire along the way to the Circle.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
The 'big' deal to me on doing the haul road is the calcium chloride that can get into every crevice of the bike.
I don't care to damage my ST1100s intentionally! ;)
And the challenge of not ruining a tire along the way to the Circle.
I have dreamt about this Alaska Adventure for full-on 50 years (my bad, it's all my fault), but Lord knows it would have been a disaster in 1980 with my ignorance of the events and conditions, at that time. Ha! I only THOUGHT I was ready.
My plans have been muchly modified from my initial foolish intent to ride there on a 1975 Norton Commando Interstate when I left the Navy. I know, ...right? Now it will only involve a dualsport.
Having read many ride reports and comments by those in the Long Distance Rider community (Iron Butt crowd), ADVrider and elsewhere, I now feel better equipped mentally, and now that I can ride offroad, better equipped physically as well.
The calcium chloride IS an issue, as it's literal hell to get off the bike, and is very corrosive. I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.
Tires? I fully expect to have a flat, or several, so I'll be prepared to deal with that eventuality / probability as well.
Some say I don't dream big enough, and that may be true. But I'll be closer to satisfied, by far, if I at least make the attempt. Obviously moreso upon successful completion.
A few lesser men than me have succeeded, and certainly a LOT more better folks, as well.

Bike
2010 ST1300
And hopefully one more trip next year to ...and put my 4th ST1100 at a Alaska State Line Sign.
I read an article in Practical Sailor years ago about the best way to protect a boat on a long trans oceanic cruise. The author suggested (literally) slathering on paste wax and buffing it out upon arrival at the destination. I have no idea how this worked - there were no follow-up articles or comments. I wonder if you can do something like this, maybe with another protectant before the trip. And, there is always 3M film like
@CYYJ (?) put on his forks. Maybe apply the type that peels off on the fairing? I know this does not protect the bottom of the engine or the radiator. Or, grin and wear it (the gray crud) as a badge of accomplishment.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
A few lesser men than me have succeeded, and certainly a LOT more better folks, as well.
Maybe just a bunch of folks who are not as careful. I read with awe the stories of bikers who have attempted the Darien Gap. No longer. Tens of thousands of folks have hiked this by now, many with infants, and more than a few children have done it with no family members. A reporter also hiked these 50-60 miles and wrote aboout her experience. I'm not diminishing their travails*, but if the motivation is there, people can accomplish wonders. The Alcan Highway, and other roads on the way to Prudhoe are paved (gravel and blacktop), and fairly well traveled. Modern machinery is reliable enough to do its part. All you really need is common sense, some planning, and the will to succeed. And bear spray.

* Nobody really knows how many have perished on this hazardous journey because there is no official body keeping track. Estimates have run from the tens to hundreds to thousands,

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you are not going to the Artic Circle\Prudhoe, riding to Alaska is not much different than riding anywhere else in the States or Canada.
Most of the ride will be in the Yukon and BC.
It's just a long way and you will encounter some long stretches of construction gravel and possible shortages of fuel.
It takes nothing special, just the health, the commitment, the time, and the money to do it.
BTW, don't waste your money on the Guideposts book - it's out of date shortly after it is published.
I took one once and never had it out of my saddlebag the whole trip.
If you are on a ST or bike with similar range, you just start looking for fuel at no less than a half tank and you'll be fine.
The prettiest ride up there is the Haines Junction to Haines Road - incredible natural beauty -

Uncle Phil - Videos
Uncle Phil - Videos
Uncle Phil - Videos
Uncle Phil - Videos
Uncle Phil - Videos

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
If you are not going to the Artic Circle\Prudhoe, riding to Alaska is not much different than riding anywhere else in the States or Canada.
Prudhoe IS on the list, and will be my turnaround point. And I'm bringing a towel with me... the closest I'll ever come to joining the Polar Bear Club.
No doubt there is a LOT more "civilization" and amenities, that were not there in 1980.
But I guess that can be said for *most* places we visit.
I continue to conveniently forget how damned old I am. With absolutely no disrespect, Phil. ;)

Bike
05 ST1300
I rode my St1300 to the Arctic Circle in ‘17. Was in Fairbanks, and there was a 16-or-so-hour window till a weather system was due to roll thro and cover the north half of AK. Left Fairbanks at about 7:00 PM and rode to the Arctic Circle and back to Fairbanks. Roads were not bad really, considering. But it was dry, I wouldn’t want to be there when the roads are wet. The worst of it is the washboarding. Not bad for potholes. Very little dust. Stopped at a pull out on the way back about where the pavement starts, set up my tent and slept for a couple hours. Then got to Fairbanks at about 10 AM the next morning. Got a room about the time a 2 day rain started. Holed up there till the rain was done and continued south. Pic is at approx 2 AM, end of July. Want to do this again, this time on my DRZ 400. Might be in ‘23. Won’t have to be nearly as afraid of road conditions on a dirt bike.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
And bear spray.
I have no information on actually riding to/in Alaska. But I was watching a "living in your off-road van" on youtube (can't remember which) and they were nearly arrested at the Canada border for having Pepper Spray that they bought for bear protection. I looked it up later and the Google says this regarding pepper spray and bear spray:

"Pepper spray is considered a prohibited weapon in Canada and is therefore illegal."
"Bear repellants, are not considered prohibited in Canada but the specifications state that bear spray must have USEPA on the label"

Just FYI, you might do a little more research to make sure you are good. BTW, the trip sounds awesome! Hope it all works out for you. :)

Ryan

My preference is the MilePost publication. By necessity the info is from the previous year, but they try to update before printing. I plan my fourth trip up there for 2023. First was 1982. A LOT has changed since then. Weather will be the determining factor on the few remaining unpaved sections.

TPadden

Tom Padden
My preference is the MilePost publication.
Looking at my 5th trip; best advice I got was prior to the first trip: Get the Milepost, and whatever it recommends you do - do the opposite. Every RV'er, and traveler has the Milepost on their dash and use it as a Bible. Get all your recommendations from other motorcyclists on the road travelling in the opposite direction.

Tom

Top Bottom