Alaska 2023

TPadden

Tom Padden
This stuff is essentially a pepper spray, right? I wonder if some bears carry it to season their meals?
To get it past the Canadian border it must be a fire extinguisher size spray (not suitable for self defense) and labeled as for use on animals.

Tom

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Gas, like UP said, keep an eye out for it. I picked up a lot of info from LDDave several years ago when I was going to run up there, but back problems pulled the plug on that.

I remember one story he told me, funniest thing...

Dave and his riding partner stopped at a post for fuel and road conditions. Dave talked to the store clerk about the road conditions, and he said they were fine, but it was getting dark and he wouldn't travel cause the moose were everywhere.

Dave walked out and his riding partner asked what the store clerk said about the road conditions... Dave said the road was fine, and told him he should lead for a while. :rofl1:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Contact itchy boots as your tour guide, maybe she'll still be up there?

:thumb:

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
If you are not going to the Artic Circle\Prudhoe, riding to Alaska is not much different than riding anywhere else in the States or Canada.
Most of the ride will be in the Yukon and BC.
It's just a long way and you will encounter some long stretches of construction gravel and possible shortages of fuel.

It takes nothing special, just the health, the commitment, the time, and the money to do it.

If you are on a ST or bike with similar range, you just start looking for fuel at no less than a half tank and you'll be fine.
What he said.

It's just a long ride, don't over think it or over pack. If you've rode over 150 miles don't pass a gas station. If you leave with new tires they should be fine back to the US and Canada sells tires everywhere in B.C.

5,000 RV's a year drive to Fairbanks with a car on a dolly behind. Tour buses drive to Prudhoe Bay every day hauling tourists.

I've rode up twice, 2013 and 2017 with the infamous T. Padden so I was never afraid one moment as I know he was always "armed for Bear" (not). We camped the entire times north of the US border. We went to Fairbanks both times and to the Arctic circle once. Got hit hard with wet muddy slick roads north of the Yukon river.

Other than north of the Yukon river 90% of it is good paved roads. Around 70% is paved to the Yukon river.

I rode 17 miles of potholed dirt "Loop road of the big cypress national preserve" today that was worse than the Dalton highway.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Just received my Manual Analogue Position System. So now it's just wait for the longest day of the year.

Wondering if a YUKSTock is possible, somewhere around Upper Laird/ Watson Lake, Yukon, CN. Both routes converge here, maybe July, 1, 2023.

IMG_2701.jpeg

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
IDK if fluid film on the bike would help? I just bought an aerosol can to try on my truck. Apparently you can get it in 5 gallon buckets, lol!

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
My Buddy and I went this year to Deadhorse. I will tell you with 100% certainty if you can make it to the arctic circle the rest is easy! Beware of the Dalton. It changes from minute to minute and mile to mile. Ride it when the conditions are good and wait when they are not, don't push it!

We did TX to Deadhorse and back in 19 Days, I would NOT recommend that 12,500 miles in 19 days is not the best but when you have limited time and you are determined to do it that's what happens. we did get to Valdez and anchorage but I wish I had a couple of days to get further south of Anchorage for sure. We had some unfortunate timing on a road washout north of Toad River and it cost us 1,300 miles of additional riding.
Not much to see in Fairbanks and north to Deadhorse but the photo was worth it!

If you have any questions let me know, happy to help!

Bulitt

Flori-Duh-Man
Bike
1200GS, 18 Wing DCT
Consider planning your trip to include D2D. “Dust to Dawson” on solstice weekend. Google it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Consider planning your trip to include D2D. “Dust to Dawson” on solstice weekend. Google it.
I should be back in the states by then, if it changes I'll be there.

Top Bottom